close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Model 1912 and buckshot/slugs

Discussion in 'Winchester' started by DranDran, Jun 4, 2014.

1. DranDran

DranDran G&G Regular

The 1912 I have has had many slugs sent through the full choke before I owned and it still won't let a dime pass through it (the choke). I was told that the walls are too thin for slugs and buckshot, is this true? There are no rings/bulges in the barrel at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  2. jerry

jerry Patriotic Member Forum Contributor

USA
    Normally not an issue. Lead "flows" in the choke. Sabots, steel shot etc. not recommended.

3. DranDran

DranDran G&G Regular

I've also heard that pre war chokes are tighter than the modern equivalents (pre war full is like a modern x full). But so long as it's in good working condition it's fine? With only lead of course

4. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

as long as you use the hollow base Foster slugs you are fine. my 1912 16 ga.has had lots of buckshot shot thru it over the years with no problems.

jerry likes this.
  5. jerry

USA
    Foster slugs, buck etc was developed in this time period, sans the round ball proceeded the foster slug. This was before people had availability of specialized guns and the ammo that they used.

blaster likes this.
  6. DranDran

DranDran G&G Regular

Thanks for clearing that up. The person that told me this also informed me that it's illegal to hunt turkey with anything smaller than a 16 ga here in NY. There is no gauge restrictions other than it can't be bigger than 10 ga, so he doesn't really know what he's talking about.

7. DranDran

DranDran G&G Regular

What I've taken away from this is that I can shoot pretty much anything out of my Winchester as long as it's lead? What about copper/nickel plated shot?

8. jerry

USA
    Copper and nickel is harder than lead and may not flow through a construction as well but better than steel shot or a sabot slug.

9. DranDran

DranDran G&G Regular

Sorry for not replying, I was under the impression that plated shot was still okay. Buffering in buckshot loads is meant to reduce deformation correct? Would a buffered lead load be fine?

10. jerry

USA
    It may or may not be depending on shot size. buffering is used to reduce deformation of the pellets so they don't fly erratically.

11. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

I doubt plated or buffered shot will hurt your ole Mod. 12. steel or tungsten might be a different story.