Model 40 vs 45 specs and history ?'s

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Shinglekill, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Shinglekill

Shinglekill G&G Newbie

I'm trying to find out the history of a particular rifle.

I was told it was a Model 40 but someone suggested it might be a model 45 (the upgrade).

This rifle is in 300 Savage and has "Super Sporter" 24" barrel, 4-shot clip magazine, serrated metal buttplate, sling swivel bases and open sights. The stock is plain/smooth, no checkering. It also does NOT have a schnoble forearm.

Can anyone assist me as to wether this rifle is in original condition? Or has someone put a new stock on it.

Date of manufacture?

Serial #140XX

Also, I prefer the new format, it resembles most of the other gun forums I use.
    I'm a proud owner of 6 Savages, 4-99's and a modern 110, and now this one.

One of these days I'll buy copies of Savage & Stevens Arms, Collector's History,by Jay Kimmel.
    And Savage & Stevens Arms & History, by Bill West.
    Until then, I hope someone here can help me.
    Thanks

2. Rick....

Rick.... G&G Newbie

Disregard the message at the other location. The 40/45 was made from 1928 to around 1940. The Blue book shows about 22,000 total production. That wold put yours around 1936+or-. Looking in the catalogs , I don't see a stock that did not have the Schnable end. Plain versions were 40's while checkered versions with upgrade sights were 45's.

Rick....

3. lray114

lray114 G&G Newbie

Shinglekill.
    I have a model 40 in 30-06. I had Savage's historian
    (J T Callahan) pull the records on mine. He provided a detailed amount of information on my specific rifle. Granted, it cost me $20, but it was worth it.