Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1936-manufacture Model 63 Winchester .22lr, with a Weaver V22-A scope. Probably gave too much for it, but it is a pretty firearm, and that's not my challenge.

Re accuracy, when it's shooting it groups about 1 1/2" at 75 yards, hand-held, which is not a challenge, either.

What IS my challenge, is whether the failure of it to reliably feed ammo is ammo-based, or, perhaps, a fault of the firearm. To wit, I can shoot two or three rounds when they start stovepiping. Further, the bullets do not seem to always seat totally, as one can see a bulge tight to rim of spent shell upon ejection. One -- my last shot -- actually ruptured about 3/32" from rim, sending gas out of shell hole while failing to propel bullet all the way out of the barrel -- e.g., I went home with a bullet stuck half-way down.

I used CCI Standard Velovity; thinking rifle needed more "oomph!" I then tried Blazer, which confused me as it supposedly has higher velocity but performed worse! I then tried some Winchester Super-X and Remington Yellow Jacket l.r.. -- both of these performing similar to the CCI standard.

If any of you good people have had similar experience and might suggest a "fix", I'll really be appreciative. I do love this firearm! (As a btw, as much as I'm a proponent against cleaning .22s (but that's a different subject) -- I meticuliusly cleaned barrel with Shooter's Choice M7; bared entire action with Rem Action Cleaner; and applied 2-coats of G-96 which I dried excess, using air-compressor air, before re-assembly. While (obviously) not any sort of a gunsmith, I'd wager one would be hard-pressed to have gotten it any cleaner?)

Thank you for any help or suggestions you might offer? I'm stumped!
george

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I would suggest having a Competent Gunsmith check it over, because it sounds like it may have a weak Mainspring or possibly a chamber problem...
On a gun that age, there is no telling how many rounds have been put through it or how it has been maintained throuhout the years.
Rich

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you, Rich, for your suggestion. Later today I do intend to take rifle to a Licensed Gunsmith; if nothing else, he will be better able to remove bullet lodged in barrel without doing any damage to either end of it. My two choices to tap out the bullet would have been a birch dowel or a length of brass brazing rod -- perhaps better I let 'smith use the correct tool(s) for removal (if either of these might be questionable?). If you'd like, if/when I get firearm back -- 'smith is sort of "slow" on his repair turnarounds -- I'll let you know his diagnosis and (any) work performed. As stated, that action had been cleaned by me very meticulously, negating gumminess as the culprit. I bought the firearm from a friend who bought six guns -- an entire collection -- from a widow in his church, who sought to dispose of her late husband's entire collection as requisite to moving from her house to a retirement apartment. The fellow never fired the 63, and the widow had said her late husband bought it brand new "before the war", didn't know how much he used it in its early life, but just stood in gun cabinet since, at least, the mid '60s... Regardless, thanks for your reply, and -- as stated -- I'll add to this when I get firearm back from 'smith. george

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Winchester 63 "fixed"

Gunsmith rang me, and I picked up "repaired" firearm yesterday. He indicated I was lucky as there was but one bullet in barrel, so no harm was done to it as I didn't attempt a shot with said bullet lodged in barrel. "What was the cause?", I inquired. He said it was a combination of "six pounds" of crud built up inside through the years, lots of lead in barrel from countless shots fired since its 1936 manufacture, and my choice of ammunition. (I had tried/used CCI standard velocity and Blazer). He said it seems to love CCI Velocitor, and even gave me 50 rounds of it. Suggested that if I exclusively use hi-velocity ammo and regularly pull a patch through it I should get years of service. I plan on trying it this afternoon; should all work, I shan't add to this thread.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
geo123...1st. I hope your gun is safe now and gives you many years of service !
2nd. WELCOME to GUN and GAME were delighted you joined and we would like to hear more about your rifle.
Please enjoy the site and again THANKS for joining...A.H

1 - 6 of 6 Posts