Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to find out about this rifle. My grandfather just passed away and we are thinking about selling it, but need to know more about it before we do.

It is a Winchester Model 94-44 Magnum. From the serial number, it seems to have been manufactured in 1969. I hope I attached a picture. It is a lever action and uses pistol 44 rounds.

Any information or indications of its worth would be greatly appreciated.
-Andrea

Attachments

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
It looks in Very good shape... They are currently selling from 550 to 650 , and if you have the box and papers add a bit more !
My condolensces on your Grandfather's Passing...
Rich

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
I agree with keeping it! I can't understand the logic of people that immediately want to sell all of a deceased relative's guns for the first cash offer. Just blows my mind. That's why I'll likely sell all of mine when I get old and feeble. It would break my heart for my heirs to sell them at the first pawnshop on the way home, just for a handful of cash to piss away.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Andrea, keep it if possible. It will only increase in value. Both financial and sentimental.

I've been in tight spots in the past where I had no choice but to sell things. And I always regretted it. But, sometimes you do what you gotta do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with keeping it! I can't understand the logic of people that immediately want to sell all of a deceased relative's guns for the first cash offer. Just blows my mind. That's why I'll likely sell all of mine when I get old and feeble. It would break my heart for my heirs to sell them at the first pawnshop on the way home, just for a handful of cash to piss away.
Thank you for being so understanding. There are a couple of his rifles that I WANT to keep and will use. However, if it something that will just sit in the back of my closet collecting dust and rusting, then I believe that selling it so someone else can enjoy it better serves everyone's interest.

My grandmother would have taken all of his weapons to the nearest store for whatever they wanted to give her. Since she does not know how to use them, she does not feel comfortable having them in the house. The ones that no one in the family feels that they can use, I agreed to try and find out what a fair and reasonable price was for them so that I can sell them and give my grandmother that money. There is no hurry to sell.

So, I hope when you are diagnosed with malignant cancer and given DAYS to live that you are able to get up and go sell you guns. I know that when that happens you will find a better use for the money than upkeep of the yard to help your spouse of 60 years.

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
No need to get all bent out of shape, everybody has opinions, that's just mine. If you were closer to Denver I'd be interested in checking it out, always wanted a .44mag carbine, and that's a Winchester, not a Marlin. I hope you get a decent price for it. You should do OK, since Winnies aren't being made any more. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Andrea,

Let me first extend to you my sympathy for your loss.

I just traded one for a Marlin. I am a Cowboy Action Shooter. The Winchester is a pain in the buttski if you reload, if you shoot factory ammo it works just fine, That gun sells locally for $350 up depending on condition and who you sell it to. If you sell it to a dealer, he has a profit to make also. You are always do best selling it yourself. I am from a lawsuit state, so if I'm getting rid of a gun, unless I know who's buying it, I take the loss. My gun had about 5000 rnds through it, all light lead loads, it looked used not abused ( NRA G-VG) and I traded it for a new 1894 Marlin S/S and 4 boxes of Winchester Cowboy loads ($100) so go from there. I liked the gun, it's just a matter of I wanted a Marlin and I'm not in love with the Winchester and it would not get used and I shoot my guns, not oggle them and say wait for the value to go up before getting rid of it. I have a Marlin in 45 LC and really like it compared to the '94. Now ask me about my M1894 takedown rifle ( 30 WCF), its not for sale at any price, its worth around here is $1500 up. Every time I take it out to the range I'm asked why do I shoot it, I say what good is it if you don't use it?

Good luck with which ever decision you make either way you are correct

1 - 9 of 9 Posts