Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did some trading and got a Gewher 98. It was Ok and is at the gunsmith's shop as I write this. The stock had been "sporterised" which I ain't real wild about, bit it still makes a fairly nice rifle.

I like things as they once were, especially rifles. So I ordered a model 98 from Classic Firearms. I received it today. I did a lot of scrubbin' and 20200526_210212.jpg 20200526_210123.jpg 20200526_210102.jpg 20200526_210017.jpg ', and still have more to do. This rifle had enough dirt in it to plant a row of corn.

The stock isn't perfect, but it is complete.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's where I need to do more scrubbin'. Looks like it may be good, If I can get it clean.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Be careful with that "scrubbin" Even these Yugo jobs are starting to bring better money these days. Hope not more than surface on it. Kroil or CLP and a soft cloth can often be enough. Welcome to the field of milsurps. They can be addictive!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The scrubbin' I'm doing is on the inside of the stock just to be rid of the dirt and old grease. The barrel, I wiped down with rem oil and a couple of 12 gauge shotgun patches. I still need to try to finish up cleaning the bore, It's pretty grungy lookin. I'm just hoping its dirt and grease and not rust in there.
I don't try to redo the exterior of stocks on these old guns. Like me, They probably "earned" every dent, ding and scar.

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
The scrubbin' I'm doing is on the inside of the stock just to be rid of the dirt and old grease. The barrel, I wiped down with rem oil and a couple of 12 gauge shotgun patches. I still need to try to finish up cleaning the bore, It's pretty grungy lookin. I'm just hoping its dirt and grease and not rust in there.
I don't try to redo the exterior of stocks on these old guns. Like me, They probably "earned" every dent, ding and scar.
I have always cleaned my stocks. It will ruin the value if you use anything abrasive on the stock or refinish it. Most of the Yugo Rifles were not abused I have found out in personal experience. I have seen some barrels look dark or corroded. Usually using some cleaning brushes in brass or stainless with cleaners will work. Many have never had a proper cleaning between military use and the shipper or importer wont clean them. I use Kroil and a wire brush. Wish you luck on it and let us know how it cleans up.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The strap on this rifle has no metal parts. It has holes spaced along its length and just intertwines with it's self. It was pretty nasty. I hadn't seen one like this before, and didn't want to replace it with something different. Not knowing how to clean it without messin' it up, I took it to the local shoe store (a real shoe store where they repair shoes, make belts ....) and showed it to the guy there. I was going to get him to make me a replacement.

He told me to clean it with warm soapy water, and to use a scrub brush if necessary. Then once it was dry, treat it with neetsfoot oil. So I took it home and scrubbed it in warm soapy water, rinsed it real good and hung it in front of a fan to dry.

It looks like a piece of leather again. I'll treat it with neetsfoot oil.

·
Premium Member
24,593 Posts
Should be a good rifle Nick. Hot soapy water in a bucket and your cleaning rod, brushes, and patches should clean that bore up... Or you can soak the whole barreled action in mineral spirits too.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally got clean patches out of the bore of this rifle. Last night I plugged the chamber with a cleaning patch and filled the bore with WD40. I let it sit for an hour or so and then bronze brushed it. Got a lot of black patches, and it still looked fuzzy. So today I did it again, and let it sit for a couple of hours and rescrubbed it. More black patches, so I did it again and let it sit for about three hours.

Brushed it briskly. Swabbed it out with cleaning patches. After a few more black patches they started coming out cleaner and cleaner. I finally got it clean enough to get a good look at the lands and groves. They don't look as sharp as I had hoped but they don't look "shot out".

I spent 30 minutes trying to get a photo of the bore. But then, no one has ever accused me of being a photographer.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,392 Posts
That's where I need to do more scrubbin'. Looks like it may be good, If I can get it clean.
When I've had a filthy bore like that, I've had good luck with this technique.

Get some of the foaming bore cleaner the blackpowder shooters use. Put an empty cartridge case in the chamber, close the bolt on it, then fill the bore with the foaming cleaner until it comes out the muzzle. Let it sit overnight, invert the rifle, remove the bolt, and push the residue out the muzzle with a dry patch.

Then soak a bronze bore brush with Gunzilla and scrub the bore. Put a Gunzilla patch through it, then a dry patch. See how much gunk shows up on the patches. Check the bore again, and repeat if necessary. Two or three scrubbings and Gunzilla patches should be enough to get almost anything out of the bore. If you think there is copper residue, scrub the bore with Copperzilla.

After that, I think you'll be able to assess the condition of the Mauser's bore properly. I hope yiou find that it is sound and straight.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm not saying this is the case with your rifle but sometimes after rigorously cleaning it, firing a few rounds through it then repeating the cleaning will help.
I cleaned out the bore of an old Spanish Mauser that way years ago, it turned out fairly good and shot very well.
I wish you the best with it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the methods y'all use. It's clean enough to shoot now. I'll probably run a few rounds through it tomorrow and re-clean /scrub it.

·
Premium Member
24,593 Posts
Thanks for the methods y'all use. It's clean enough to shoot now. I'll probably run a few rounds through it tomorrow and re-clean /scrub it.
If you haven't done so Nick, you should disassemble the bolt and clean it too sort of like that too. Many of them will have hardened cosmoline/grease packed into the bolt body with the firing pin and spring that could cause cocking problems, soft primer strikes, etc.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I took the bolt apart first thing. I was amazed that it was very clean with no cosmolene or dirt at all. I lightly oiled it and put it back together. I bought a Mauser years ago and it wouldn't fire a round. I pulled the trigger and could watch the bolt slowly ease forward. That bolt took a lot of scrubbin' before it was clean.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts