Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sen. John McCain won a series of big-state victories and took a commanding lead in delegates in yesterday`s Super Tuesday contests, but his weakness among conservatives was exposed by a string of wins for Mike Huckabee in the South and Mitt Romney out West.

More...

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
McCain is probably the Republican Party's best chance of not going down in flames this next election. I'm amazed (and amused) that some conservatives oppose him so bitterly they're willing to risk having a Democrat elected rather than support him.

Yes, some of his stands rub them the wrong way. But they're looking at a guy who has probably a 99 percent conservative voting record overall, in the years he's been in the Senate. He's certainly more conservative than anyone on the other side...

Personally, I think he's still a victim of the trashing given him by conservative pundits for daring to run against Bush.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Oh, boy, a true lesser of two evils election! I love those! :hitwithrock:

I don't know if I caught it, but who are you voting for Troy?

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,219 Posts
He's better than Hillary or Obama by a landslide...a vote for a 3rd party will surely get a Dem elected...remember that.....

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
McCain is probably the Republican Party's best chance of not going down in flames this next election. I'm amazed (and amused) that some conservatives oppose him so bitterly they're willing to risk having a Democrat elected rather than support him.

Yes, some of his stands rub them the wrong way. But they're looking at a guy who has probably a 99 percent conservative voting record overall, in the years he's been in the Senate. He's certainly more conservative than anyone on the other side...

Personally, I think he's still a victim of the trashing given him by conservative pundits for daring to run against Bush.
no I think he earned that trashing on his views gun control ,immigration and probably a few other of his ideas

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,376 Posts

I'm inclined to agree with you, Troy. He's a decent man, most ways, and a far better choice than either of the two Democratic front-runners. Every poll I've seen has him beating Obama narrowly, or Hillary decisively. I haven't seen a poll yet with Slick Hillary as the Dem Prez nominee and Obama as the Veep nominee, but provided he picks a reasonable running mate (definitely not Huckabee or Romney; the moderates that might otherwise consider voting for McCain could swing the other way due to the religious issues either would put into the scales) I think he can beat that combination of naked megalomania and boyish charm.

And yes, I think he is still tarred with the stigma of having dared to run against Curious George - although the way things have turned out, that may be a badge of honor and not a liability.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,657 Posts
I think alot of McCain personally, but I'm not sure what kind of president he'd make. He's certainly orders of magnitude better than the alternatives on the other side. I believe he has been in Washington too long, though -- don't see him as paring down our govt or mending its shortcomings. I see him as neither a libertarian nor a dramatic problem solver. Think he'll be able to deal with Putin and Iran and the rest of the world pretty well (at least folks might be a bit afraid of him like Ronny). I guess we'll see one way or another -- looks like he'll be the Rep nominee. I'm educated guessing Huckabee as the Veep--maybe this'll work out OK. Think this will stop the O/H machines at the end.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Oh, boy, a true lesser of two evils election! I love those! :hitwithrock:
I don't know if I caught it, but who are you voting for Troy?
I don't know, .22 guy. I may wind up voting for McCain, if he gets the nomination. Partly that depends on whether or not I think Congress is going to stay Democratic. I didn't like it when a Republican Congress thought its job was simply to do whatever George wanted done, and I don't like the idea of a Democratic majority coupled with a Democratic president much better.

I probably wouldn't vote for Huckabee because he's a minister, and I don't want another president who thinks God put him in office. I don't mean that to be offensive to religion in general; I'm just more comfortable when preachers stick to preaching.

I think Hillary would probably be a competent president, and a strong one internationally. I don't see anyone bullying her or not taking her seriously; she's definitely no Jimmy Carter. But I don't like dynasties, and I don't like her anti-gun stances.

Obama? I dunno; he's a question mark. He has some potential, but I haven't made up my mind about him yet.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Mc Cain earned his conservative label in his early years in Washington. Most of his actions in the past few terms could not be called conservative now and it's now that counts today. Conservative, not in my opinion as I feel he sold us out. Sorry but I can't support him. With Huckabee as V.P. I don't know, I would have to think about that one.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I would like to see the Gov. of Minnesota be his VP. Pawlenty and him seem to get along good, and Pawlenty has not been shy about voicing his support for him.

I liked Ron and Fred better, but Troy is right-he stands the best chance for winning presidency from the republican side.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
I say mix 'em up.
When we have a mix they tend to argue among themselves,question things a bit more,and don't screw everything up like an all one party circus.
All Democrats or all REpublicans and they tend to go crazy.:34:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts