Modified FMJ for Hunting?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by k8cca, Sep 20, 2002.

1. k8cca

k8cca G&G Newbie

Guys,

Got the Mosin-Nagant bug and bought some Yugo Mil Surplus FMJ ammo 7.62x54 for it. Got to wondering about the core of it, so I cut the tip off and it's got lead in it. Thought maybe it had a steel core. At any rate, my question is >>>> can I use it for hunting as a kinda SP bullet or will the fact that the bullet is now lighter cause my pressure to go to high possible hurting me or the weapon? Not sure of the relationship between weight and powder charge. I know it's kind of a dumb question, but I thought it might make for a nice lunch time topic (it's raining here)

Thanks!

Eric

2. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Evangelist

Your modified FMJ bullet may or may not expand depending upon it's constuction, your mods, etc. There is soft point ammo readilly available in this caliber so why bother running the risk of loosing an animal to bullet failure.

3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

It would be hard to cut the bullet precisely and uniformly enough to maintain accuracy. I don't see any safety issues though unless you really screw it up.

4. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Evangelist

I beleive Norma and Sellier & Bellot make soft point ammo in this caliber.

:target:

5. jarcp

jarcp Guest

To K8cca, the relationship between bullet weight and pressure is the exact opposite. As bullet weight increases, pressure will rise (assuming the powder charge is kept consistant). You'll have nothing to worry about in that department. However you have to realize that bullets are constructed pretty precisely (even old bullets), when you cut off the nose, the center of gravity changes, depending on how much you cut off, you might cause the bullet to tumble once it leaves the bore. I'd keep shooting those surplus rounds at the range, and get some BTSP for hunting. Norma, Wolf, Lapua, and Sellier & Bellot all make fine hunting ammo in this caliber. If you are having trouble finding some, drop me an E-mail.

6. stead

stead Guest

you can pull the bullets (i like using the bullet puller that looks like a hammer a raps on the bench will do the trick) just make sure you use the same weight,or next higher weight, ie 148gr fmj,150gr softpoint,just make sure you only do one reload at a time,make sure you get all of the powder,the velocity will be the same,the pressure will be lower,this is a slow and tedious process,a lee orginal loader works great.you can do steel cases but will run into some problems,one of the problems is you run chance of the cases rusting,

7. Jack O

Jack O Guest

Just my 2 cents but I would worry about a stuck jacket . the 7.62x 54 develops pressures close to the 30'06 . All things being equal I think the core would seperate from the jacket in the bore. could realy make a mess if a round was fire behind it.