Mon Skonk Le Pew!!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by big shrek, Dec 14, 2014.

1. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Ok, for about the past six weeks I've been...well...stinky.
    I mean the kind of upset stomach & gas that chases ME out of the room...and I'm doing it!!
    At first I didn't think anything of it...considering the random diet...
    then basic spices and peppers are tearing me up...even red spaghetti sauce causes hot lava!!

So I'm thinking, probably time for a Doc visit...
    but is it an ulcer, or possibly IBS??

Is there something simple I can do to figure it out before I see the doc??

2. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Welcome to my world! :D
    Just wait until you so good at it.
    That you can play Jingle Bells, with the butt trumpet.;)

jwrauch, TACAV, Huey Rider and 2 others like this.

3. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Before you go to the doc, check your diet. Keep track because the doc will want to know. Maybe you are now "allergic" or have a low tolerance to something that you didn't bother you before. That happens to me with milk now. I learned the painful way that I can't drink milk anymore. No one wants to be around me either. But, I would go see the doc. It may be nothing, it may be something that is detected early. Just my non medical opinion.

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Stock up on Beano.......

PAPA G likes this.
  5. rockman7

rockman7 G&G Evangelist

It's called "GETTIN OLD".... Which is why I had to use bold letters cause it not only effects hearing it effects eye sight as well!!

P.S. If your sack starts lookin like tandem speed bags that's also a side effect of this dabilitating condition. There is no know cure except death of the host

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    jwrauch and PAPA G like this.
  6. Rambo

Rambo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

America
    Eat a bowl of oatmeal in the morning.

Kad Skirata and winston64 like this.
  7. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

I have GERD, but omeprazole keeps it under control.

8. winston64

winston64 G&G Evangelist

Add some fresh ground ginger, it helps with the inflammation if it is IBS

9. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

Go see the doc. Changes in gastric activity like that are very possibly a sign that something is wrong.

jwrauch, lynxpilot and PAPA G like this.
  10. Kad Skirata

Kad Skirata G&G Evangelist

N/A
    When I first learned I had a gluten intolerance Proteins where causing me lots of problems. I Was trying to eat as well as I could on a low budget. On top of that I was getting back into riding the trails for long distances to lose weight.

I was often eating pasta with fresh homemade sauce, and store bought organic/all natural sauces when they were on sale. (Which is actually often if you look for it) I always had ground beef, or sausage in the sauce, and drank lots of milk with it. Usually a quart to a half gallon. This was apparently the perfect storm of incompatibility. The gluten in the pasta caused repeated mild/moderate allergic reactions, the protein in the meat and milk aggravated the reaction and the acidity in the tomato just went right to bubbling inside all that. As you can imagine the results in the throne room were horrifying.

Two different doctors claimed it was smoking. (Everything including GSW seems to be smoking related) I quit and the problem got worse. I was put on a double dose of nexium. That lined my stomach, and helped the ulcer but did nothing to dissipate the acid which started to reflux.

Eventually I couldn't eat anything and felt fatigued all the time. Things were not good and all the glorified pill dispensers would do is suggest another drug or exploratory surgery. I didn't have interest in either option. By chance I met someone who said it sounded like her condition before being diagnosed with gluten intolerance. She suggested I cut out wheat entirety for a week, and reduce my protein intake until I felt better.

Within a week I had made a huge recovery and regained my appetite for the first time in months, and enjoyed holding court on the porcelain chair for the first time in years. My acid reflux is down to a manageable level with only OTC pills on occasion, and it's usually my fault when it flares up. I never would have believed that changing some of the things I ate would fix the problem because I tended to eat "healthier" than most people I knew.

The_Doctor likes this.
  11. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Hey stinky,
    Stock up on T.P. and air fresheners.

jwrauch and 870shooter1 like this.
  12. 870shooter1

870shooter1 G&G Evangelist

Tucson
    Be careful using matches, residual gases and all that! Lol!

TNPIRATE, Dressround and Kad Skirata like this.
  13. GSFixit

GSFixit Curmudgeon In Training

PA
    Wife says definitely time to consult the doc if food you eat normally has suddenly started having this effect.

14. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Gluten Sensitivity was once grossly underdiagnosed. It is getting a lot better, and it seems a large number of folks have it. One of my close buddies has it - if he eats wheat bread, he really pays for it! His good lady wife - herself suffering from cancer - has learned to cook Gluten Free and does amazing things! The grocery stores are also getting much better at stocking gluten free items. It's a bit more expensive, but just how much is your health worth?

15. 870shooter1

870shooter1 G&G Evangelist

Tucson
    My BIL is a celiac. There are some foods out there that we've decided, you open the box, trash the food, and eat the box. A good dose of ketchup makes for easier dining on the boxes!

Kad Skirata likes this.
  16. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I suffer from GERD and acid reflux daily. Wake up most nights with acid coming up and is like gasoline. The thing is that you should not suffer from gas. Im sure they will be wanting to do a colonoscopy and a upper GI testing soon. Don't play around with it.

17. TNPIRATE

TNPIRATE Yo Ho Ho And A Bottle Of Rum Forum Contributor

My first question is are you diabetic? And if so do you take metformin? Cause that metformin will work a number on ya:D
    And if you EVER end up bein a diabetic and do have to take metformin you will have some nasty gas. But never fear. When you do have the gas attack just hit the Hallmark isle at the ol walmrt. It will cheer ya right up watchin people duck for cover from the green gas:D

And I too am finding out that I can't drink milk or eat ice cream. Man oh man do it emit an oder. But it is much worse if I eat ice cream/drink milk and then take the lipitor.

Either with the metformin, the ice cream, milk, and or the lipitor I can not only clear a room, I can clear out the walmrt, homer depot, costco, or any big and little box store:D

And when I feel it come on, it is low flyin the isles, crop dusting the isles and aerial applicating the whole dam place:D

GSFixit likes this.
  18. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Ice cream and milk cause me problems unless I take Lactaid either right before or after consuming it. It really does help, even the generic stuff. JR

19. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Go to the health food store and get some probiotic pills. If something played hob with your gastrointestinal flora, the probiotics will go a long way toward restoring your normal balance.

Kad Skirata likes this.
  20. GSFixit

GSFixit Curmudgeon In Training

PA
    I find I need to avoid ice cream floats if I've had chili the same day. What a combination!

I still say see the Doc though. My wife (decades as a nurse) said it could be anything from food allergies to a bowel problem to a gall bladder going bad.

Cyrano likes this.