Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Montana has joined 30 other states in urging the U.S. Supreme Court to uphold a lower court ruling affirming the individual`s right to bear arms, state Attorney General Mike McGrath said Monday.

More...

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I know that Wisconsin could not possibly support the 30 states... too liberal here. The Governor is known to be incredibly anti-gun and has found a way to scuttle (some say illegally) every attempt at concealed carry permits.

Fully how all these liberals have armed security but continually deny the rest of us the same liberty. Shame on them ... they need to reacquaint themselves with the Constitution...

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
LarryO doesnt the Attorney Generals do this ? Wether the govenor likes it or not ?

Edit Ours was the 2nd A.G to join this. The Texas A.G started this...A.H

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
LarryO doesnt the Attorney Generals do this ? Wether the govenor likes it or not ?

Edit Ours was the 2nd A.G to join this. The Texas A.G started this...A.H

[FONT=&quot]The Gov has found ways to make it not pass ... [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Wisconsin: Governor Doyle Pushes a Massive Gun Control Scheme![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Tuesday, August 21, 2007[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Doyle Seeks Massachusetts Style Gun Control for the Badger State![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In an announcement today at the Milwaukee Police Department’s District 3 headquarters, Governor Jim Doyle (D) outlined a gun control package aimed not at reducing crime, but at forcing Wisconsin’s law-abiding gun-owners to forfeit their Second Amendment rights. Not since his 2001 effort to ban the possession of all firearms other than single-shot rifles, pistols and shotguns has Doyle waged such an assault on the basic individual freedoms of the citizens of the Badger State.

Governor Doyle, a pawn for the anti-freedom movement, is urging the Legislature to pass legislation eliminating all private transfers at gun shows. Not stopping there, the Governor wants to repeal preemption statutes and allow local municipalities to enact their own, more onerous firearms regulations, such as the Madison handgun ban of 1994. Doyle is also pushing for flawed ballistic “fingerprinting” technology in the Badger State, an expensive and ineffective system supposedly intended to fight crime. Finally, Governor Doyle is seeking to expand the number of Wisconsinites who would be prohibited from owning firearms for hunting or self-defense.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]ASSEMBLY VETO OVERRIDE FAILS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Madison - 01.31.06[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As you've probably heard, the state Assembly today failed by a vote of 64 to 34 to override Governor Doyle's veto of the Personal Protection Act, two votes shy of the required 66 votes to override.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All sixty Republicans voted for the veto override.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Four brave Democrats--Representatives Barbara Gronemus, Amy Sue Vruwink, Marlin Schneider, and Mary Hubler--kept their promises to you and voted to override. They showed themselves to be true friends of gun owners.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Two Democrats broke their promises to you: Representative Terry Van Akkeren of Sheboygan, who voted for this bill in 2003, voted for the veto override in 2004, and voted for the bill last month; and Representative John Steinbrink of southeastern Kenosha county, who voted for the bill in 2002, voted for the bill in 2003, voted to override Doyle's veto in 2004, and also voted for the bill last month.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Clearly, Governor Doyle's wields iron-fisted control over members of his party, even if his own selfish agenda means those members will suffer the ultimate sacrifice at the polls in November.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Just as clearly, we will almost certainly not be able to get concealed carry passed while Jim Doyle is governor.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]To that end, our political action committee will be hosting fund-raising events that we think you'll enjoy. But the serious and sole purpose of these events will be to raise money for real pro-gun candidates in the fall elections.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And to defeat Jim Doyle.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The amount of money we will need to raise to defeat Doyle will far exceed what our political action committee has raised in the past.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We hope that you'll welcome the invitations to the fund-raising events, and will participate to every extent possible for a worthy cause.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Governor Doyle is betting that you'll forget this treachery by November.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Never forget. And never stop fighting for what is right.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks,
The Wisconsin Concealed Carry Association[/FONT]

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Larry WOW to say the least !!! When is this num nuzt term going to be up ?
And if you have time send your Attorney General a heads up about the 30 states joining in the brief.
He might be running for Govenor next time and he could win some votes if he'll back this brief.
Give him a call, it want hurt feller...A.H

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Larry WOW to say the least !!! When is this num nuzt term going to be up ?
And if you have time send your Attorney General a heads up about the 30 states joining in the brief.
He might be running for Govenor next time and he could win some votes if he'll back this brief.
Give him a call, it want hurt feller...A.H
[FONT=Helvetica,Arial][SIZE=+2]Concealed Carry for Wisconsin[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=-1] View Current Signatures - Sign the Petition [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]To: The Legislature of the State of Wisconsin[/SIZE] Whereas, the Wisconsin State Constitution states, "The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose," and,

Whereas, the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states, "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed," and,

Whereas, our nation's Attorney General, John Ashcroft, has stated that "The text and the original intent of the Second Amendment clearly protect the right of individuals to keep and bear arms," and,

Whereas, 33 states offer concealed carry laws, with another 11 states offering concealed carry in a more limited form, making Wisconsin one of only 6 states not offering any program to its citizens, and,

Whereas, as of 1987, only 7 states had concealed carry laws, it is evident that states have been enacting - and not repealing - these laws across the nation, and that "progressive" Wisconsin remains woefully behind the nation on this issue, and,

Whereas, the state of Wisconsin has a large population of sportsmen and women well-educated in the proper use of firearms, and,

Whereas, the events of September 11th, 2001, have underscored the necessity and importance of personal defense on the homefront,

Be it therefore resolved that, the undersigned support the passage of a right-to-carry law in the State of Wisconsin, and urge the legislature and the governor to pass such a law in the immediate future to recognize the need for personal security that this state's residents so require.
Sincerely,
The Undersigned

View Current Signatures

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,583 Posts
Doyle's been terrible for WI, at least as far as the 2A goes. He's effectively killed (via veto or political muscling) all the concealed carry legislation that's been introduced over the past several years.

Good luck.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
I didn't see it, maybe it was there and I simply missed it, but does anyone know, besides Montana, what other states are on the list? Where I might find the list? Planning on hopefully moving after son has graduated H.S. and would like to know which states because that way I can avoid moving to one that ISN'T on board.

Oh and if possible, the list of senators and whomever else signed it. I'd like to know if my Representative signed it. I emailed her requesting she please do so. Have a feeling she didn't. If not, I'll make sure not to vote for her and spread it around.

Thanks much in advance...

Never mind I found the state list. Here is link if anyone is curious...
NRA-ILA :: In The News

I see Illinois is NOT on it. And as you thought LarryO, nor is Wisconsin..

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Yeah ... I'm not going to let a Democrat, let alone a liberal Madisonian tell me where, when and if I can exercise my 2nd Amendment. Madison and Milwaukee politicians (Democrats) are in bed with Doyle... the rest of the state would rather they be in prison or nothing but a fading memory.

I would hope that IF the D.C. ban fails, so will the ban in this state as well as others.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Yes, lets hope there's a domino effect. I'm am going to email the Illinois Attorney General and politely express my disappointment that I did not see her name representing Illinois on the list.

And in being honest, do you think the only reason this ban was ever put in place was because the politicians wanted a little added security in knowing that after they did something they kind of knew would screw Americans, no one could have ready access, if you know what I mean. I feel the need to express that in no way do I or would I endorse or condone such a thing though.

Message sent to the Illinois Attorney General. Hope it does some good? If not, I know one person I WILL NOT be voting for the next time their name comes up on a ballot.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
At least we have J.B. (John) Van Hollen (R) to look towards for a possible CCW push.

J.B. (John) Van Hollen grew up in the North woods of Wisconsin where he developed an appreciation for the great outdoors, family and community, and dedication to public service.
The son of John C. Van Hollen and Rosella Van Hollen, J.B. was raised with his two sisters in the Chetek area, and later in the Town of Delta in Bayfield County. J.B.'s father served in the legislature and then as Governor Tommy Thompson's first Northern Representative.
Van Hollen graduated from St. Olaf College in 1988 with an undergraduate degree in Political Science and Economics. He earned his law degree two years later from the University of Wisconsin Law School.
After law school, Van Hollen began his long career in public service, first as an Assistant State Public Defender in Spooner, Wisconsin. In 1991 he became a federal prosecutor, serving as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Western District of Wisconsin.
In 1993 Governor Tommy Thompson appointed Van Hollen District Attorney in Ashland County, where he served for six years. He was subsequently called to service again when Governor Thompson appointed him to serve as Bayfield County District Attorney. Van Hollen was later elected to the position, enjoying bi-partisan support as the county's only elected Republican.
Van Hollen received the overwhelming support of district attorneys and the law enforcement community of both political parties when President George W. Bush appointed him U.S. Attorney for Wisconsin's Western District in 2002.
Among his initiatives as U.S. Attorney, Van Hollen coordinated a large and successful sting operation in Hayward, cracking down on gangs, drugs, and guns. Over 100 members of law enforcement at the local, state and federal levels partnered with him in this successful effort.
Van Hollen also initiated Project Safe Neighborhoods, a vigorous federal enforcement effort to reduce violent gun crime. Van Hollen advanced this effort in Rock County to prosecute individuals for gun crimes. He later expanded the effort to Dane County and several multi-jurisdictional drug enforcement groups in rural Wisconsin. Firearms prosecutions nearly tripled during his tenure.
Van Hollen was elected Attorney General in November 2006, taking office on January 1, 2007.
Van Hollen's recreational pursuits include running, biking, swimming, skiing, basketball and golf. He has run two marathons and completed the 2003 Ironman Wisconsin Triathlon in Madison.
An avid hunter, Van Hollen has been a member of Ducks Unlimited, Grouse Unlimited, The National Rifle Association, Wisconsin Sporting Heritage, Inc., and the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.
I would hope that he understands the 2nd Amendment as George Washington intended...

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Larry O, if the good lawabiding gun owners of the State won't vote together to rid themselves of Governor Doyle and the Legislators voting with him then I see no hope for change. Wisconsin is a beautiful state but I would not move there and have to live with the laws you now have. Good luck on getting rid of the bad guys.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Larry O, if the good lawabiding gun owners of the State won't vote together to rid themselves of Governor Doyle and the Legislators voting with him then I see no hope for change. Wisconsin is a beautiful state but I would not move there and have to live with the laws you now have. Good luck on getting rid of the bad guys.
As with anything to do with politicians, they do what they want for themselves, not the people. Doyle is corrupt... we all know that but he finds a way to wiggle himself off the hook and retain office.

We'll vote him out... it's all a matter of time. Hopefully Von Hollen will aid in the push for CCW permits.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Larry give Hollen a call and ask him to get on this brief, he was elected to his position and theres nothing the Govenor can do about it.
I'll pay for the long distance call if i have too !...A.H

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Larry give Hollen a call and ask him to get on this brief, he was elected to his position and theres nothing the Govenor can do about it.
I'll pay for the long distance call if i have too !...A.H
A.H. ... I just finished writing a letter to Van Hollen ... so he is obligated to reply. If memory serves correctly... he is FOR CC permits, with the condition of training/familiarization. As a military cop, I can see/understand that for those who are unfamiliar with what they have to carry.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
That seed you just sowed may get results ! Thanks buddy...A.H
[FONT=&quot]Honorable J.B. Van Hollen,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As a Wisconsin resident, I understand the challenges of local law enforcement agencies. I have been an Air Force Security Policeman for over 14 years and have experienced more than I care to admit. I appreciate your service to the DOJ and the state of Wisconsin. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]My contacting you today is concerning the ability of Wisconsin residents being able to exercise their right to self defense. This is about the availability of (CCW) concealed carry permits and the right to the “Castle Doctrine”. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A LOOK AT CONCEALED CARRY NATIONWIDE[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Currently, 44 states have some form of legal concealed weapons carry (CCW) for persons other than police officers. On July 1st, 2001 Michigan became the 32nd shall issue state; shall-issue means that a person who passes training and background[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]checks as determined by state law shall be issued a CCW permit. Additionally, 11 states have may-issue CCW permit legislation; may-issue means that the issuance of a CCW permit is at the discretion of local officials. (Oftentimes, may-issue permits are granted as political favors). Lastly, Vermont has had no restrictions on either concealed or open carry since the state was founded in 1791. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Based upon contacts with the issuing authorities in the 32 shall-issue states, we estimate that there are nearly two million permit holders in those states. Estimates from other sources put the number as high as 3.5 million.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Only six states--Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Illinois, Ohio and Wisconsin--have no provisions for any type of legal concealed carry for their citizens. As of this writing, though, Ohio is on the verge of becoming the 33rd shall-issue state. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Training requirements in the 32 shall-issue states vary. Florida requires a few hours of classroom and range time. Texas requires a day of classroom time explaining legal and ethical uses of force, followed by another day of range time required to demonstrate proficiency.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Every shall-issue state has slightly different restrictions on where a permit holder can carry. Nearly all bar the carry of weapons in government buildings, schools, police stations, airports and correctional facilities. Most prohibit carrying a weapon in an establishment that derives more than 51% of its revenue from on-site alcohol consumption. Utah and Idaho are the exceptions, allowing carry in taverns as long as the permit holder is not intoxicated.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]CCW MYTHS[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"If a concealed carry law is passed in Wisconsin, the state will turn into the Wild West." [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The statement makes for eye-catching editorials, but has no basis in fact.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Every state that has passed shall-issue CCW laws has seen a reduction rather than an[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]increase in violent crime, and that reduction has in many cases been dramatic. According to FBI crime data, states with shall-issue carry have a 21% lower violent crime rate, 28% lower homicide rate, 33% lower firearms homicide rate, 3% lower rape rate, 33% lower robbery rate and a 35% lower firearm robbery rate than non-issue states like Wisconsin.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In every state where concealed carry laws were being considered, opponents trotted out the “Wild West” argument. Perhaps the best refutation of that argument is that no state that has passed CCW legislation has later sought to repeal it. Even officials[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]who initially opposed CCW laws now admit that they were wrong.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"If Wisconsin passes a CCW law, there will be shootouts at every stoplight." [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Again, a catchy phrase, but one that is contradicted by the experiences of the 44 states with legal concealed carry. Implicit in the myth is the idea that an otherwise peaceful and law-abiding citizen who owns a gun will, if given a permit to carry, turn into a hotheaded killer. Frankly, the idea is an insult to those of us who work hard and play by the rules.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Of the two million or more CCW permit holders in the US, and over the decades that CCW systems have been in place nationwide, we are aware of only two permit holders having shot someone in an incident of “road rage”. In one case, the permit holder was found guilty of manslaughter. In the second case, the grand jury decided that the shooting was in self-defense, given that the permit holder was being beaten savagely and was being pulled out the window of his car by his assailant when he fired.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"Legalizing concealed carry will put police officers lives at risk." [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Police officers are trained to approach every encounter with a citizen with the assumption that the person is armed. A licensed concealed carry system allows the officer to find out, based on the license plate number, whether a person has a permit, and to do so before the officer even leaves his squad. Further, many states require a permit holder to inform the officer that he has a permit and is carrying a weapon. This gives the officer complete control of the situation, and reassures him that he is dealing with a person who has no criminal background. We are unaware of any police officer having been shot by a citizen who was legally carrying a concealed weapon.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"The average citizen doesn’t have the training that police officers do." [/FONT][FONT=&quot]A concealed carry permit is not a badge, nor is it intended to be. It is not a citizen’s job to chase down criminals, to make arrests or to flush out barricaded suspects. The duty of a permit holder is to try to escape a confrontation by any means possible, and to use deadly force only as the absolute last resort.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The US Department of Justice estimates that citizens defend themselves with firearms against criminals over 500,000 times a year. An ongoing study by the Florida State University criminology department indicates there could be as many as 2.5 million[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]defensive uses annually.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The data show that 86% of the time, no shots are fired at the criminal; usually displaying a weapon is a sufficient deterrent. The FBI’s Uniform Crime Report shows that, for the most recently analyzed year, just 137 criminals were killed by armed citizens, including CCW permit holders.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]During the commission of crimes, the only persons present are the criminals and the victims. Usually police officers arrive in time to write up a report. The above data shows that, not only are citizens capable of defending themselves with firearms, but[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]that they do so with remarkable restraint.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"Over 3,700 CCW permit holders have been arrested for crimes including murder in Texas." [/FONT][FONT=&quot]This argument is the result of a study by the Violence Policy Center[/FONT][FONT=&quot]released, perhaps not coincidentally, prior to the 2000 presidential election. The[/FONT][FONT=&quot]VPC is a gun control advocacy group that releases dozens of studies annually.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In this instance, the VPC’s numbers are correct. However, the group did not break out the data provided by the Texas Department of Public Safety into violent vs. nonviolent crimes. Most importantly, the VPC did not compare the department’s data to the public at large.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]There are 217,000 CCW permit holders in Texas. This figure gives us our control population for permit holders in that state for the period 1996 to 2000.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The VPC study asserts that the licensees were arrested for violent crimes at a rate of 194 per 100,000 population, but did not mention that the rate for the rest of the public for those same crimes is 730 per 100,000. Nor did the VPC mention that 55% of[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]those licensees arrested were later cleared of the charges.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Let's look at the VPC's numbers for non-violent crimes, which constitute the majority of the arrests. They report an arrest rate for Texas licensees of 639 per 100,000, but ignore the rate of 5,212 per 100,000 for the general public. Included in the VPC[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]offenses are crimes such as marijuana possession, drunken driving, credit card abuse, and even hunting with an artificial light.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]But it is the murder arrest suggestion that is the most serious. If a person kills another, even in self-defense, that person is going to be arrested for murder. Police officers do not have the power to dismiss charges. This is the job of the district attorney, who can decline to press charges, convene a grand jury, or go to trial.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]From 1996 to 2000, 27 Texas permit holders were arrested for murder. Of these, 8 had the charges immediately dismissed. The remaining 19 went to jury trial, where 16 were found to have acted in self-defense. Three were convicted, which gives us a homicide rate of .35 per 100,000 permit holders annually. Compare this to homicide rate for[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]the general public of 5.5 per 100,000.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Florida also provides detailed data on permit holders. From 10/1/87 through 9/30/01, Florida issued 780,840 CCW permits. During that period, only 1,396 permits were revoked for crimes committed after licensure. As of 1996, the Florida Secretary of[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]State’s office reported that only five permit revocations were the result of a conviction for a violent crime.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A group as large as the permit-carrying population is bound to have a few miscreants in its midst. That is simple human nature. However, data from every shall-issue state shows that permit holders are overwhelmingly more law-abiding than the average citizen.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]WHY DOES WISCONSIN NEED CONCEALED CARRY?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]While our law enforcement officers in Wisconsin are among the best, they cannot be everywhere at once. It is the rare officer indeed who is able to stop a crime of violence while it is occurring. With one police officer for every 400 citizens, the odds favor the criminal in non-issue states like Wisconsin. Criminals know their victims are unarmed and defenseless.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It is not the number of permit holders that changes the equation, but rather the knowledge on the part of the criminal that his potential victim may be armed. While the number of permit holders is small (on average 1.7% of a state’s population), permit holders serve as a deterrent to crime, encouraging criminals to engage in non-confrontational endeavors.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Nowhere was this phenomenon more highly publicized than in Florida in the year after the state passed its CCW laws. Criminals, knowing that Florida citizens might be armed, turned to robbing tourists in marked rental cars. Once the state offered CCW permits to non-residents, and the rental companies removed the stickers, the attacks on tourists stopped.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As the Attorney General, you have an important decision to make regarding concealed carry. And that decision boils down to a simple but fundamental question: do you trust your own law-abiding constituents?[/FONT]

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Larry O, That is as good of a letter as I have seen anywhere. You covered all the bases both pro and con and got all the information out there in language that is easy to read and understand. If Mr. Van Hollen is as fair minded as he seems to be and truly wants to help the citizens of Wisconsin, I believe you will get some action from him. Once again, congratulations on the well written letter.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
In all honesty, I admit I cannot take credit for this letter completely. This was written (for the most part) by the Wisconsin Concealed Carry Association. I edited and added a few things... but for the most part, it is theirs.

I have forwarded this to J.B. Nan Hollen since this was before his tenure as Attorney General.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts