more money on infrastructure, less money on cops

Discussion in 'Political/Religious Topics' started by d_p_holland, Sep 30, 2020.

1. A message to my mayor as follows:

"Mr. Mayor:

There seems to be so many city patrol cars in Lawton, OK one can practically "trip over them". There are also so many potholes on Lawton streets one could trip in those too. Many residential streets are missing sidewalks in some parts or the sidewalks are in bad repair. Lawton is not particularly bicycle- and pedestrian- friendly. It's no small wonder that former local mom-and-pop businesses have packed up and booked. Lawton is embarrassingly behind the 21st century. There's seems to be a bunch of fat lazy people in gas-guzzling vehicles and less exercise activity about town for good health. The landscape seems to be weedy in many places and there is way too much litter lying all over town. One ought to be embarrassed to call him or herself the mayor of this town. Buildings around town look well-weathered and could use some paint. The sheriff's bus with convicts in orange jumpsuits could take care of street beautification to save taxpayer dollars: litter cleanup for our community and residential neighborhoods.

With Oklahoma's new Constitutional Carry law there is greater incentive for more good people to be lawfully armed about town. A well-armed citizenry as called for by our Second Amendment is the single best protection and preventive measure against violent crime. Police all over the world, even with best intentions, show up too late most of the time to save innocent persons from violent acts anyway, it seems. If I were to have my way, we would have the sheriff and the posse as was in the Old West.

Please spend more money on construction workers and landscape workers and less on law enforcement. I wish to see more road graders, dump trucks, road rollers, paving machines and hard-hats on our streets and less lawmen. More men dressed in orange and less dressed in blue.

Thank you and God bless! I vote in November and always remember."

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    big shrek likes this.
  2. jedwil

jedwil G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Appears to me that reduced funding and presence of police is failing in the cities that are doing that.

jwrauch, K75RT, Palladin8 and 4 others like this.

3. Many of those big cities are also anti-gun: this is my pet peeve against big cities. Whether you have only ten cops in a big city or a million cops in the same big city, cops are highly unlikely to be able to respond quickly enough save the innocent from bad guys in time. It only takes about ten seconds or less for a determined bad guy to bust down the door and murder someone in the house. What is the response time for cops if you can even get to your phone before the bad guy gets to you? How fast can you get your gun? A good gun in the hands of a good citizen is the best protector.

4. BudW

BudW G&G Evangelist

Going to call construction worker when a 911 goes down smh

K75RT and Palladin8 like this.
  5. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Simply having more guns about does not necessarily stop or prevent crime. It might help lower some violent crimes but people need to stop treating the lawful carry of a gun issue like a one size fits all magic solution to stop all crime.

When the only tool you have is a hammer then every problem looks like a nail...

What are you going to do? Shoot someone over a minor vandalism or theft charge? Or any number of other "smaller" quality of life issues within the community that need to be addressed but yet are still very important... but cant be simply addressed by gunpoint... no matter whether that gun is being wielded by a cop or a law abiding citizen.

cjleete, K75RT, Palladin8 and 4 others like this.
  6. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Back to Basics...
    Death Penalty.PNG

7. Simply having a smoke alarm in your home will not guarantee you will not burn to death. Simply wearing a seat belt doesn't make you immortal in a car wreck.

MORE guns is a Democratic Lefty term. We need guns within an arm's length of MORE law-abiding people OUTSIDE the home. Constitutional Carry means MORE immediate gun accessibility in emergency situations. Guns only serve to protect those who have immediate access to them. Your safe queen locked up at home won't save you on the streets in time of trouble.

MOAR = minute of arm's reach

cjleete and Huey Rider like this.
  8. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan G&G Evangelist

Indiana
    More jail cells and longer sentences, thats infrastructure. Right?

jwrauch, Stickman, Palladin8 and 4 others like this.
  9. TACAV

More guns just means more guns. It's not a political statement.

yea that's all cool and everything but it still doesn't address the point of my previous post.

10. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Hitler and his Brown Shirts operated out of the Beer Halls in Germany. His core followers were career criminals for the most part. The Nazis replaced the police with Nazi SS and disarmed the population. They built great furnaces.:eek:

jwrauch, AK Hunter, K75RT and 6 others like this.
  11. Yes, ovens, munitions plants, dams, railroads, floating river bridges, gun emplacements, bunkers, Volkswagen "Thing" factories, Beemer motorcycle works, Mercedes-Benz factories, panzer tank factories, Hamburg shipyards, Messerschmidt and Fokker aircraft factories, V-2 missile factories, prisoner-of-war camps and concentration camps: Nazi German infrastructure improvement only to be decimated by Allied bombing.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  12. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

so umm you gonna stand there in your Blue jogging suit and guard all those guy's dressed in Orange are ya?

you can't have it both ways.
    the convicts ain't gonna drive themselves out to work on your streets and back to prison every day.

jwrauch, Stickman and K75RT like this.
  13. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

FWIW....

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

I often wondered what "criminal mischief" was. So I looked it up:

(TX penal code 28.03)

a) A person commits an offense if, without the effective consent of the owner:

(1) he intentionally or knowingly damages or destroys the tangible property of the owner;

(2) he intentionally or knowingly tampers with the tangible property of the owner and causes pecuniary loss or substantial inconvenience to the owner or a third person;  or

(3) he intentionally or knowingly makes markings, including inscriptions, slogans, drawings, or paintings, on the tangible property of the owner.

(It starts as a Class C misdemeanor and then goes up to felonies and actually defines damage to fences used to store livestock as felonies)

Ouch......I guess that means theoretically you can. At least at night....

So I guess the bottom line is don't mess with Texans.......

jwrauch and Gun Junkie like this.
  14. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

(This is not serious, but...)
    Here's an idea for boosting infrastructure AND police. We start our own Guardia or armed constabulary from among road crews and city, county and state workers.

We could have an officer and a pothole filler in every neighborhood.

FUN IDEA: since it would be hard to do construction in full police battle-rattle, we authorize them to use the flat of a shovel or something in lieu of a taser or spray.

15. TACAV

yea i get that some states allow you to use deadly force to protect property but the idea of shooting someone over stealing a $0.50 cent lollipop if you really want to get technical over it seems a bit disproportional to the original offense.

Jim Bridger and Junction15 like this.
  16. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

I don't care for the premise that it must be more for infrastructure, LESS for law enforcement. If infrastructure needs more money, fine, let the people using the infrastructure pay for it thru bonds, taxes, etc, but don't pay for it by taking it away from law enforcement.

Every time governments claim they need more money, they threaten to get it by taking it away from law enforcement or public safety!

jwrauch and K75RT like this.
  17. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Ya I agree and going to the trouble of the aftermath probably ain't worth it so long as the stealer doesn't pose an additional threat to the stealee (but it could well help in a disproportionate force mugging type of scenario). Now what that particular law IS good for is if someone's smashing your car up with a crowbar and an armed citizen decides to draw on them (and perhaps have to shoot) to stop the antics it provides a good defense. Or in the case of the house whose garage got torched with the BLM/ANTIFA scrawled on it (posted on this site) armed intervention is justified and defensible which is a GOOD thing.

18. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Under current conditions, without law enforcement, infrastructure will not be improved.

I worked in Providence RI on the I-95 viaduct back in the 90's. They brought in a connex for storage one afternoon and put a huge padlock on it. In the morning the padlock was laying on the ground and the connex left open. It would be worse if there was no law enforcement at all. It was like that all the time I was there.

jwrauch likes this.
  19. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

You are in Oklahoma. You have a critical issue on the ballot in November. It is state question 805. I have worked in law enforcement in Oklahoma in the past and am alarmed at that proposal. Under current law, if a person commits multiple felonies, a judge can give enhanced sentences due to that person being a career criminal. This proposed law, by the ACLU and others would take away the power of a judge to enhance sentences based on multiple prior felony convictions. In other words, in violent offences like selling meth to kids would be treated like a first offense, even if the bad guy had been convicted 10 times before. The reason for the law is because so many black people are getting longer sentences because they commit multiple felonies. Vote NO on that law, let the Judge decide what sentence is approriate. https://ballotpedia.org/Oklahoma_St...g_and_Sentence_Modification_Initiative_(2020)

Gun Junkie likes this.
  20. LAW ENFORCEMENT is the guns and guard dogs of the collective law-abiding American citizenry. Protect your connexes with mantraps or boobie traps.