close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Morels!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jerry, Apr 20, 2002.

1. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    It's that time of the year, anyone having any luck?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Datsa big shroom!

3. Morels....God, that brings back some great memories.

Years ago, when stationed at Ft. Leavenworth I would walk the woods along the Missouri River looking for them. Thems some great mushies fer sure!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2002
  4. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

irvine, kentucky has a big morels festival every year, prizes for the most, the biggest, etc. its quite an event so i hear.;)

5. LOL! I thought the post was sombody's poor spelling of morals and wanted to speak of morality.

Fungus is good in the right place!

6. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Two mushrooms were talking,one says "I don't know why she won't go out with me,I'm a fungi."

7. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    Thats a pretty cheap joke, but hey, I got a real good laugh out of it....

-Tim

8. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    yeah, it's the subtle ones that get ya sometimes. very timely too

9. wes

wes G&G Newbie

I don't get no respect. Rodney Dangerfield.

10. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

I was gonna gloat about our haul last night, but that picture kinda made me shrivel.

We picked 57 last night, the biggest near 6 inches and the smallest at 2 inches. A darn good haul, will freeze 'em and eat 'em during football season!!!

Dale, I'm about 2 hours south of Leavenworth, my sister lives there now and YES the shroomies are still there!!

11. we have false morels around here.
    dont eat em!
    since they are so hard to tell from the edible ones i dont eat any.

12. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Billy, why did you dredge up this old thread? Here I was wondering how someone was finding Morels in November.

Maybe your morels are slipping, eh? :09:

13. are morels extinct since this thread was posted?
    if not it is still good information.

14. CalifgirlinOk

CalifgirlinOk G&G Evangelist

Mr.billy likes old things and that includes women...:09:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2008
  15. HEY!
    actually i likes em all pretty much.........
    :kiss:

16. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Since you brought up false morels, I presume you can tell them apart. If not, the false ones have the "cap" kind of loosely fit to the stem like other mushrooms. Real ones have the bottom of the cap growing from the stem. It really isn't too hard if you look carefully.

Have you ever eaten "Dead man's fingers"? They kind of look like some of the morels, but I never heard of anyone eating them. They are also known as another appendage of said deceased individual, but I can't post that here. It might explain why people don't eat them, however.

17. CalifgirlinOk

CalifgirlinOk G&G Evangelist

I don't like eating mushrooms so I don't need to worry about eating the wrong ones.

18. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

When stationed in Germany, and living in a small farming village, We used to go out with an old Oma and pick morels. Really big ones, and chanterelles too. Yum !!

19. jackar

jackar G&G Newbie

I've never had the time or energy to go looking for them. One year a friend who lived about three miles away found so many he gave me a paper sack with about three or four pounds of them. I made a great batter and deep fried them, about a pound at a time. My wife and kids wouldn't touch them. My dog and I ate all of them. He really loved them.

20. False morels are kind of ugly with a mutant brain-like cap atop the stem with a solid interior. Real morels are conical, more like a pine cone shape, the cap honeycombed around a hollow stalk. First two pictures are of a false morel, second two of the real deal. Here in my area the wonderful winter mushroom season will start as soon as we get some serious rain! Looking forward to my 6th season of mushroom hunting!

Attached Files: