Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the majority of the posts in both the SKS and Mosin forums, I've narrowed my gun selection down to a Mosin 91/30, or a Yugo SKS. I know they are both very different firearms, but I am wondering what those of you with one or more of each generally prefer.

I'm leaning towards a SKS, but if theres a reason I should buy one over the other, please let me know,

Thanks in Advance,

Jeff

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Well, I never have cared much for the sks, just because I think they're ugly. However, they are good-shooting reliable guns when left original. If you want something just to go plink with that is very cheap to shoot, I say go with the sks. Go with the 91/30 if you want something you can hunt with but that's not as comfortable to go plinking with. The shells are a little more for the 91/30, but not much. (comparing quality ammo to quality ammo).

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Dang, I'd think appearances were the other way around. I think the Mosin is far uglier than the SKS, but I still like how it operates.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have a couple of M91/30s and an SKS. I always take the M91/30s to the range, but rarely take the SKS. I target shoot at 100 and 200 yards, and I just like the long guns better for that.

I take the SKS if I am taking a young shooter to teach. Less recoil and " more fun". Pow pow pow pow pow pow... instead of BOOM. They can shoot more rounds comfortably and faster (the fun part) with the SKS.

Nick

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you want to hunt, MN, preferably 91/30. If you just want to have fun (Hehehehehe) and trick it out, then definitely go for the SKS. You an get better quality surplus ammo with the SKS too.
KR

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Well, you have a point there, but the part of the SKS that throws me off is the back top (receiver cover area I guess). That just looks like something is missing...

BattleRifleG3 said:
Dang, I'd think appearances were the other way around. I think the Mosin is far uglier than the SKS, but I still like how it operates.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I would stick with the SKS. I have both, but the SKS is more fun to shoot. THe MN has a fair amount of kick. Although, for the price of each, go with both if you can! Should be less than $225 for both.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
I vote with SilverRun

Buy one of each, because which one is better depends on what you have planned for the day.

Although I love my Mosins, they are a little bulky for some applications. A friend of mine has an SKS for a saddle gun, and swears by it.

And it's not like he has no choice: I asked him once how many guns he owned, and he honestly couldn't say. But he owns seven safes, and he said when he laid all his firearms out on sheets to look them over and clean 'em up before he retired and moved, they stretched through his garage and into his living room.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Funny, I'd consider an SKS to be bulkier. I'd consider a Mosin carbine to be an ideal compact lightweight hunting arms except for the muzzle blast. A M91/30 would take care of that and still be slim and light, just a bit long. But hey, that puts the muzzle farther away from my unprotected ears.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
My Mosins are mostly long ones. BRG3

BattleRifleG3 said:
Funny, I'd consider an SKS to be bulkier. I'd consider a Mosin carbine to be an ideal compact lightweight hunting arms except for the muzzle blast. A M91/30 would take care of that and still be slim and light, just a bit long. But hey, that puts the muzzle farther away from my unprotected ears.
So I'm not used to thinking in carbine mode. I guess an M38 wouldn't be any bulkier than an SKS, would it

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Taking the slimness into account, I wouldn't even call a M91/30 bulkier than a SKS, certainly not heavier, not by much anyway.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Bulker, no. But in my opinion more akward in the woods. Pick up a M38 or M44. These have great length and aren't so akward as the long 91/30. Though the Ol' 91/30s are usually the better shooters from my experiance. But not always. There are always things you can do to make them shoot better. Hunting/long range-Mosin...FUN going through rounds and spraying devestion-SKS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts