Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the majority of the posts in both the SKS and Mosin forums, I've narrowed my gun selection down to a Mosin 91/30, or a Yugo SKS. I know they are both very different firearms, but I am wondering what those of you with one or more of each generally prefer.

I'm leaning towards a SKS, but if theres a reason I should buy one over the other, please let me know,

Thanks in Advance,

Jeff

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,972 Posts
At the current prices, buy one each! :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, you're funny BRG3. You posted that I should get a SKS in the SKS forum, but a Mosin in the Mosin forum. That made me laugh

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
If you can't get both get the SKS.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,972 Posts
The SKS is more versatile overall, and is more comfortable to shoot. I can shoot it all day, but can shoot a few boxes thru the Mosin before getting too sore.

Hunting? I got real hunting rifles. :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply, Big Dog. I like the idea of having hunting rifles, then play around rifles. I'm just getting tired of having rifles only for hunting. I want something I can go and have some fun with, and a 7 Mag hurts after a couple magazines.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I guess if you can only have one... I'd go for the SKS. Both are GREAT guns, though, but if you already have a 7mm mag, you're probably gonna enjoy a semi-auto more. IMO, the SKS is more suited for: plinking, slinging around casually without feeling like you're carrying a small log, faster shooting rates, shooting at shorter ranges (under 300 yards or so), and there is cheaper commercial ammo for the SKS. ~15-20 cents/rd vs. ~50 cents for the 91/30. SKS is more of a brush gun, and I like that. But if you have the mulah, get one of both!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Jelly- you cna get surplus ammo for the mosin that is just as accurate or better than commercial for around 8-9 cents per round. Czech silvertip or hungarian light ball comes to mind. With the current "panic buying" shortage or 7.62x39mm ammo id go the mosin route. I own both and i shoot my mosin way more.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I know, wolverine, but I was just saying that as a lot of people prefer commercial ammo. Wolf 7.62x39 is ~15cents/rd here right now, and Barnaul (Russian) 7.62x54R ammo is around 50+ cents/rd here. I shoulda mentioned the surplus ones, too though. Thanks for the correction. Around here the SKS ammo is about the same for surplus if you can find it, maybe higher, and the surplus 7.62x54R ammo is 8-10 cents/rd. But, FYI you have to clean either gun after shooting most surplus ammo or you run the risk of rust in the barrel. I love that Czech silvertip. Don't shoot it all up, save some for the zombies!!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
jellydonut said:
I guess if you can only have one... I'd go for the SKS. Both are GREAT guns, though, but if you already have a 7mm mag, you're probably gonna enjoy a semi-auto more. IMO, the SKS is more suited for: plinking, slinging around casually without feeling like you're carrying a small log, faster shooting rates, shooting at shorter ranges (under 300 yards or so), and there is cheaper commercial ammo for the SKS. ~15-20 cents/rd vs. ~50 cents for the 91/30. SKS is more of a brush gun, and I like that. But if you have the mulah, get one of both!
Good reasoning. I agree. That is unless you want another heavy hitter with close to the same power, FP, and way cheaper to shoot..then a Mosiny is always a nice choice. But a good SKS is alway fun too, though the ammo is being shipped out. So 7.62x54 ammo is easier to find at the moment.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've got a 91/30, and cleaning it is a true pain in the !!!. I usually run about 50 pads through my barrel before they come out close to clean, and i'm using the gunshop-reccomended hoppes #9 solvent on most of those patches. That's the biggest pain besides my shoulder, anyway.

I'm looking into an SKS, and I work at Taco Bell. I've got a nice 10/22 with bull barrel, so i don't really need the SKS, but i'd love one anyway.

The 91/30 is nice, and not as loud as the M44 (tried one of those). It's a lot more comfy to shoot than the M44, too. That being said, the AK i tried didn't hurt one bit, while the 91/30 i've got does hurt.

·
Registered
234 Posts
phrogg said:
I've got a 91/30, and cleaning it is a true pain in the !!!. I usually run about 50 pads through my barrel before they come out close to clean, and i'm using the gunshop-reccomended hoppes #9 solvent on most of those patches. That's the biggest pain besides my shoulder, anyway.

I'm looking into an SKS, and I work at Taco Bell. I've got a nice 10/22 with bull barrel, so i don't really need the SKS, but i'd love one anyway.

The 91/30 is nice, and not as loud as the M44 (tried one of those). It's a lot more comfy to shoot than the M44, too. That being said, the AK i tried didn't hurt one bit, while the 91/30 i've got does hurt.
Ah, but can the SKS shoot through 3/4'' of plate steel, or a 30-inch tree? :lucky: Sadly, it cannot. :spam:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts