Mosin ammo

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by localgrizzly, Jun 26, 2013.

1. localgrizzly

localgrizzly G&G Newbie

I have experience with Russian and Hungsrian zmilSurp.

But I see Polish, Bulgarian and others from time to time.

Which do most of you prefer???

2. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

Serbian ammo is great, I love the Privi Partisan stuff. I have also had near match-grade success from Czech milsurp.
    I've had good accuracy and reliability out of Polish stuff, though it leaves a lot of gunk behind.
    I have a can of Bulgarian but it is corrosive and I only shoot it when I can clean immediately (not often since the toddler came along).
    I've never seen the Hungarian 7.62x54R around here, but their milsurp Makarov rounds are excellent. How do their rifle rounds hold up?

3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

The Bulgarian 180 grain steel core that comes in the 300 round silvery tin cans shoots the best for me of any milsurp Mosin ammo I have tried. I would LOVE a few thousand rounds of it. You have to clean the rifle right after shooting, of course, but as that's true with any corrosive milsurp ammo to me it's no big deal.

4. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

I have some bulgarian milsurp steel core, yellow tip, it is my favorite of the misurps Russian and hungarian is pretty good too.

Edit actually its lead core heavy ball.

http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo016.htm

I only have two sleeves of it thought ( 20 rounds) i think its too cool to use it, i have other less common less old stuff that id preffer to use and keep this for nostalgia purposes.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  5. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Golly, my first spam can was Czech. Since then I have had Bulgarian, Russian, Polish, Ukranian, whoever makes Silver and Brown Bear and those are just the ones I remember. I also reload them.

Spam cans for plinking
    My reloads for checking accuracy

6. gandog56

Hmm, I found it was the WORST shooting stuff I got. Many of the cases split after firing, and not too good accuracy. The GOOD stuff was the green lacquered Czech Silvertip light ball. Of course, the Czech gave me sticky bolt if I fired too much.

Of course I think I only had like 3 Mosins back then. One 91/30, One M44, And one M38. None of them liked the stuff.

7. writerinmo

writerinmo G&G Evangelist

I've been shooting the Bulgarian silver tip for the past few years, occasionally a box or two of Brown Bear if I run low on surplus. Wife told me today that the local farm and home has "some new kind of Mosin ammo" but she didn't recall what the brand was, just that it wasn't surplus, Brown or Silver Bear...I'm thinking I may have to make a run over there tomorrow.

8. jason1965

jason1965 mil-surp collector Forum Contributor

I like the Yugoslav ammo and the Czech stuff as well.
    I have some of the Yugoslav sniper ammo that is hard to find and will only use it in an emergency. I also have some Russian stuff that I've only shot a few rounds of.
    The Bulgarian ammo seems to always have case splits no matter what rifle I shoot it with.does'nt affect accuracy tho.

9. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Part of what I like about that Bulgarian stuff is its ability to punch through an inch of mild steel.

10. gandog56

Isn't Silvertip like 150 grain? I was talking the 182 grain Yellow Tipped stuff.

11. writerinmo

writerinmo G&G Evangelist

Yep, the silvertip is 147gr light ball. It's the cheapest and most available for me at least through the online suppliers.

12. lunchbox99

lunchbox99 G&G Evangelist

I'm not sure what the two different cans I had were one was a 400 rnd or so can with a soldered on pull tab. The other was 300 rnds of brass cased stuff. I also got mixed packs at gun shows in the paper wrappers. I have been buying the steel cased white box it's like wolf but marked hunting. It's the same price as they want at gun shows for corrosive at $9.99

Posted From Gun & Game Mobile!

13. localgrizzly

localgrizzly G&G Newbie

14. gandog56

Well, like I've said. I've tried many and varied. The best accuracy of all the milsurp was still the green lacquered Czech. I still like to reload when I get hold of boxer primed cases, but usually they are right at or even a little more than the cost of milsurp. But if I shoot my reloads, I don't have to rush home and clean out the corrosive primer residues. So once again

My reloads for accuracy shooting
    Milsurp for plinking.

15. localgrizzly

localgrizzly G&G Newbie

I'm an old time reloader too. But the MilSurp 7.62X54R is so doggone cheap, I haven't even acquired dies yet.

As smooth as my bore is though, it might be fun to try some cast bullets. I have an old 180 mold I bought for the 303 that should work well.

16. gandog56

Yeah, they should work fine.

17. Pete71

Pete71 G&G Regular

I got a can, through trade of surplus ammo, and was wondering what it is. Is copper washed with a silver painted tip. The case head has a raised "188" and a "74."

18. lunchbox99

lunchbox99 G&G Evangelist

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013