Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, after cleaning my mosin for 30min w/ a combination of pads, brass bristle and oil, it's still not as clean as i want it to be. Is there a trick i'm missing? Is there something i should pick up this weekend at the gun show to help clean the barrel?

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
I recommend picking up some foaming bore cleaner, it seems to work great with really dirty barrels, just be sure to let it sit for a couple of hours

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,987 Posts
Don't get so hung up on getting it sqeaky clean. Shoot that thang, then swab her out. 'Nuff said. :)

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I find a shot of electrical cleaner/degreaser (the no-residue kind) does a great job of breaking it up. Just a quick spritz down the barrel and a patch comes out with all kinds of gunk.

There's a great thread on an electronic bore cleaner that seems to work wonders; I've yet to try it, but it looks like it should work great to get the positively-charged Cu2+ (copper) off of the barrel and onto the steel rod electrode: http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/curios-relics-forum/33403-homade-electronic-bore-cleaner.html

Here's the direct link: Making the Surplus: Homade Electronic Bore Cleaner
:drive:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If you are shooting military surplus ammo then the primer is probably corrosive.
I use a cheap/inexpensive window cleaner with ammonia to clean the bore and bolt face right after shooting, then dry and clean like any other centerfire rifle.
The ammonia does not help with the corrosive salts left, the water does this, but it does start breaking up any copper fouling.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The electronic bore cleaner works pretty well. It got a lot of black gunk out of my M91/30 that I thought was clean.

Nick

·
36,987 Posts
You might want to check out a product called "Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner", and I believe Brownell's carries the line. It gets out stuff that Hoppes No.9 never knew was there! Good stuff. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i did the bore foam 2 times but to no avail. I think that it might be pitted inside the barrel.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
well i did the bore foam 2 times but to no avail. I think that it might be pitted inside the barrel.
Well, with milsurps, you never know, I would imagine it has significant pitting

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm gonna give the foam another go. I just sprayed some in there and it came out of the bore brown. So i'll let it soak for a good long while and then swab her out.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
A couple of other options are the world famous Kroil\JB Bore-Brite combo from Brownells or, if you can find it, a product called RB-17. RB-17 is a gel that adheres to the bore and is great for tough cleaning jobs. If it is pitted after you get it clean, I would suggest staying away from surplus ammo and the really cheap stuff like Wolf, Brown Bear, Barnaul, etc.as these are notoriously dirty.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Does anyone use Kroil or Kroil mixed 50 percent with Hoppe's to clean their Mosins? Or other guns?

·
36,987 Posts
With old milsurps, they often simply WON'T come brightly clean! Pitting and a dark bore are things we learn to live with. If it's minor, accuracy won't necessarily be affected. My 1942-dated M39 Finn Mosin has some serious pitting near the muzzle - it shoots patterns instead of groups - no amount of cleaning will help it. I keep it clean and lubed, but don't try to get it squeaky clean. Clean reasonably, and control corrosion - that's the important thing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think the best thing to do to remove funk from the barrel is to take it to the range. Shoot twenty or thirty rounds to get the barrel warmed up. The pressure, heat, and bullet travelling down the tube will blow out some of the funk. Then remove the bolt and squirt Windex down the tube (I use a 50/50 mix of ammonia and water). You will notice that the funk coming out of the barrel will be off colored.

Clean the bore out with Hoppes (it is good sruff) or even some home made Ed's Red (it is good stuff too). And then run a few patches with some good gun oil down the tube.

Repeat the process. Shoot. Clean. Shoot Clean. The bore probably will not come out mirror. But it will clean up soon. Sometimes I even put a 'plug' on the end of the bore (or wad up some gun patches) and I pour a couple of ounces of oil into the chamber. Then I let the rifle sit barrel down for a couple of hours. I remove the 'plug', swab out the bore, and I am done.

Best of luck to you.

Does anyone use Kroil or Kroil mixed 50 percent with Hoppe's to clean their Mosins? Or other guns?
Yes, Kroil works very, very well. It is a very good penetrant.

Invest in a .30 Cal Boresnake, Cleans A really gunked up barrel Fast and better than patches in my experience!
Not a bad idea. They work!

Okay. After doing all that if you are not satisfied with the results here is something I learned from a gunsmith. This is messy, so get clearance from your wife before proceeding. You will need an old towel (please do not use one from the linen closet - bad mistake - been there, done that), a cleaning rod, your bathtub, Tide, and Comet.

1) Put the old towel (you want to lay the barreled action onto the towel so you do not damage the finish on your bathtub) in the bottom of your tub and fill the tub halfway with pure hot water. Add a scoop of Tide.

2) Remove the barreled action from the stock.

3) Lay the barreled action down into the hot soapy water on the old towel and let it soak for a few minutes.

4) Scrub the barrel vigorously with your cleaning rod from the chamber. In and out, in and out. Submerge the barreled action back into the water. More scrubbing. You will immediately see all kinds of black funk oozing out. Use a little more Tide on your bore brush and repeat the process until you are satisified (I never am - this takes awhile).

5) Drain the tub. Rinse the barreled action with pure hot water and watch some more black funk come off. Rinse again. When you are done, rinse one last time. When you think you are done wipe of the barreled action and apply your favorite gun oil. Then swab the bore with a few patches of your favorite oil (remember to clean you bolt while you are there).

6) This is the most important part: Clean the bathtub with Comet and the towel before the wife blows a fuse!

Lengthy? Yes. Dirty? Yes. Could your wife leave you over this? Yes. But it works. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Put 20 rounds through it today. Most of the junk i saw was gone, every 5 or six rounds, i'de boresnake it) Problem though-twice it spit powder or somethin back at me. Is this typical?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts