Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Excellently done! Now, if only he'd covered proper firing pin position upon reassembly.

For the sake of this thread potentially becoming a sticky, as I see it as a valuable tool for beginning Mosin owners, I'll point out the proper way to do this.

Once you've screwed the Firing Pin back into the Cocking Piece, it should be nearly flush with the back. There will be a groove cut into the back of both the Firing Pin and the Cocking Piece, these will need to end up lined up when you are done, as they were designed to be easily put back together in the field.

To check proper Firing Pin protrusion, make sure the Cocking Piece is in the 'fired' position (where the kid turns it 90 degrees before disassembling) and use the screwdriver/bolt tool found in your cleaning kit to check the protrusion of the pin of at least 0.075" and not more than 0.095" with the groves marked 75 and 95. I've checked my gauge with a digital caliper and it measures 0.0770" and 0.0965", so it's not exact, but close. Oh, you don't have a Mosin Nagant screwdriver/bolt tool as shown in use here: Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com and here: Cleaning (the second one provided due to rumors of surplusrifle.com going away)? Well, you can use a depth gauge to determine the protrusion by measuring the tip of the Firing Pin to the face of the Bolt Head, not the outer lip, but the face area, right around the Firing Pin. An inexpensive 4-12 inch digital caliper can be purchased from Harbor Freight (available online); I have a 6 inch one, shown here: Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices. For reference, that one usually goes on sale for $15.99, down from $39.99. If it's not on sale, wait a week or two, they rotate. Never pay their full price, it's kinda like waiting for that Mosin you want at Big 5 to finally go on sale as the other Mosins, SKS's, and Mausers rotate through their sale. ;-)

:drive:

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Yeah, it's a great video. It's nice to see a young man know his firearm well. But I agree I wanted to see the re-assembly in steps. I can take the thing apart no problem. But I'm still not that good at putting it back together.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Yeah, it's a great video. It's nice to see a young man know his firearm well. But I agree I wanted to see the re-assembly in steps. I can take the thing apart no problem. But I'm still not that good at putting it back together.
Hm, maybe I'll have to go ahead and do that sometime in the near future, when I'm not busy with getting my chemistry degree at the U of Washington. ;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts