Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been hashed over before, but how hard is it to clean your Mosin?

I shot my M-44 about 60 times on Saturday (ouch) and it took me forever to clean it. I used windex first, then dry patches to get that out. Then some spray powder and fouling nitro solvent. Then Sweet's 7.62 which made 40 patches come out blue. It's like they never end. Oh, and I brush it several times, a lot.

The bore looks clean, even shines when I shine a flashlight up into it, but those patches just never come out quite clean with the Sweet's. Am I doing something wrong???? Any ideas, suggestions? I love this thing but is it supposed to take this long?

(I usually shoot rimfires and shotguns and use bore snakes on those. So I guess I'm not that experienced in cleaning centerfire rifles.....):feedback:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
First off, get yourself a recoil pad; turns a painful kick in the shoulder into a nice little massage. Got mine from G. I. Joe's, the small slip-on rubber one. ;-)

Now, for the cleaning, I just got mine not a month ago and have had similar situations with the blue coming out on the patch... I think it's the solvent removing the bluing from the inside of the receiver, I could be wrong on this, though. It seems that the patch goes through with very little blue on it and then when I pull it back out, it's covered in blue. Oh, I forgot to mention, I go from the muzzle to the receiver and back out with my cleaning rod and use Hoppe's No. 9 kit. I have to go that direction because the cleaning rod can't make it all the way through my 91/30 barrel if I start from the receiver-end.

I'm hoping MosinDave or someone else with some long-term Mosin Nagant experience can shed some light on this, as I'm rather inexperienced, myself. I'm just letting you know that it's not just you. :)

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,307 Posts
Sometimes these old guns never do come totally "clean", going by the patch color. I don't worry about it. Once I've run several patches through it with solvent, I run a couple through with oil and call it done. I haven't had any problem with corrosion.
Even a 'dark' bore is no worry on these old rifles.

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
i dont think ive ever gotten a totally clean patch out of one of mine (ive only got 3)without using an electronic bore cleaner and a fair amount of elbow grease, so i wouldnt worry too much. have fun!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
the first time i shot my gun it took 3 hours to get it clean after that i got a bore snake run it 2 times oil it and call it a day....... never had a problem and i have already shot 2 spam cans worth of ammo.....

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Run the .30 bore brush a few times. A couple of patches with Hoppes (or 7.62) then the Bore Snake.... done. After that just run the Bore Snake after every outing and you should be good-to-go.

Bore Snake... One of mans great inventions...:)

PS If you are shooting that nasty MilSurp run some patches of windex through there first then the BS.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I still need to make one of those electronic bore cleaners! I keep putting so many new projects on myself that I forget. I have been able to get all of my mosins bores clean, but it usually involves a lot of time on my front porch with a bore brush, a few packages of cloth patches, some Birchwood Casey Bore scrubber and a good load of swear words.
That blue stuff you are getting should be copper fouling reacting to whatever you are using to clean your bore with. I had a good conversation with K75 ( G&G member ) last night and he was telling me about it. He recommends the Sweets 7.62 for removing copper fouling, among other things. ( I'm gonna get some soon )If you want to see the copper on your rifling you can use a bore light, or slide a really white piece of cloth down your bore a little ways and let the light reflect off of it.

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
i dont think ive ever gotten a totally clean patch out of one of mine (ive only got 3)without using an electronic bore cleaner and a fair amount of elbow grease, so i wouldnt worry too much. have fun!!!
i meant 3 mosins i use the lectric thingy on all 9 of my guns, but the 45 (that ones easy to clean)

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, sounds good guys. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and get a bore snake. Thanks for the input.

Wouldn't mind more opinions if anybody has got 'em...... :)

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
So, I was thinking of going to the range today and pulled out the ol' 91/30. There, on the bolt face was the bluish-green fluid. I'm guessing some of the copper fouling with some oil. I'm betting that the copper-washed Polish mil-surp I was using was depositing some of the copper on both the receiver and the bolt face, in addition to the barrel and the copper jacket fouling. Cleaned that up and put it back, since the friends that wanted to go out to the range with me all flaked out. *sigh*

Off to work on my homework. Ugh.

Edit: Also, I should've figured it out on my own that that bluish-green color was from the petina'd copper; I'm a darn Chemistry major at the Uof WA! LOL

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
There is a thread on the Curios & Relics forum about a homemade elecronic bore cleaner. I made one last night, and used it on an enfield, with a "clean" bore.

I was amazed at the crud that came out of that rifle barrel. It took about 40 patches bfore they came out clean, but the bore looks very nice now.

It's cheap, to build, about $10.00,and easy to use.

I will do a nagant later today.

Nick

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Sometimes these old guns never do come totally "clean", going by the patch color. I don't worry about it. Once I've run several patches through it with solvent, I run a couple through with oil and call it done. I haven't had any problem with corrosion.
Even a 'dark' bore is no worry on these old rifles.
Bingo!

Beat me to it.

Ten to one if the residue is still gray when you remove the patch it's nothing more than microscopic steel from the barrel.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I did my M91/30 with the Electronic Bore Cleaned this afternoon, and was totally amazed at the grung that came out of it. It is pretty and shiney now.

Nick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts