Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From top to bottom:
1. My younger son's 1916 Tula 'Peter the Great' 91/10.
2. My older son's 1945 Ishevsk M44.
3. My 1944 Ishevsk round-receiver 91/30.
4. My nephew's 1935 Tula hex-receiver 91/30.
5. My 1944 Finnish Sako M39.
6. My 1943 Finnish Sako M39, with a Monte Carlo Stock.

I rescued the last one because I felt sorry for it. It has an excellent bore and good two-step trigger, and I'll be putting an unissued post-war stock on it from Tennessee Gun Parts. The bands are also readily available, but there seems to be a remarkable shortage of hand guards in the world. If worst comes to worst, I've never seen anything made of wood I couldn't duplicate...I'll buy a piece of birch and copy the hand guard from my other Finn.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Nice, Troy, nice!

Looks like you need some help keeping 'em warm...I'll bring the ammo!

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Future Marine, thanks.

spicybeefjerky, you're right; it's a good-looking stock. On top of that, the whole gun looks like it came straight off the assembly line and into storage.

at4rxj, it's yours if you want it. But it's been carved out to make room for the M39's beefier barrel, so you'll have to shim if you're gonna put it on a Russian Mosin.

Sounds good, Dale. Whereabouts is Too Dang Hot, in relation to Blythe or elsewhere on the Colorado River? I head down there now and then...

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Blythe, California and the Colorado River (the part you are referring to) is on the western Arizona border and is about 3 1/2 hours from where I am at.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's your own fault, Pred

Pred said:
See, thats not right. You realize what you've done? Now I have to go buy about 5 more Mosins.
You're the one who told me how to post pics...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Thanks, and that's fine. I'll make a nice project out of it. Let me know whenever you're ready to change it.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Very cool collection Troy. I'd say you have certified Mosin-itis. I don't think there's any cure. :smash: :right:

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Has anyone noticed the difference in stocks

...between the different Russians? They're all the same general shape, but there are noticeable variations.

I put the M44 under the 91/10 not just to compare the length, but also to show the difference in the wood. It isn't as easy to see with the pic shrunk down like this, but the M44 is much beefier, and the forepiece is squared out with actual corners, while the 91/10 stock and forepiece are smaller, more tapered, and well-rounded.

And I went brain-dead and forgot the proper term, but the distance from the trigger to the buttplate is noticeably longer on my 1944 Ishevsk 91/30 than it is on my nephew's 1935 Tula 91/30. he used to grumble about mine, but his fits him a lot better.

The M44 stock is also very blonde wood, and it mostly shrugged off that reddish Russian finish.

I'm still thinking about throwing the M39 wood in the dishwasher and refinishing it, because there's some nice figuring hiding under all that grime and darkness. I've decided it probably won't hurt the glued fingerjoint, and if it does I'll clean it and reglue it.

hah! I just remembered; the distance from the trigger to your shoulder is the 'pull.' Call off the boys in white; I'm not ready for the old folks' home yet after all.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Finally pulled the synthetic stock off my orphan M39

at4rxj said:
Can I have the monte-carlo stock when you're done with it? :)
Amazing, the excuses a guy can come up with for getting up and looking busy after an operation. Of course it kind of spoiled the fun when I had to have my number 2 son carry it over to the bed for me, so I could work on it while I sat there.

Unlike my other M39, this one is marked on the tang. It has a small hammer, and under that the numbers "915r". If I understand correctly, that means the original Mosin was made at the Tula Armory in September of 1915.

It's in better shape than the first one, except for being minus the original furniture and bands and not having much bluing left. I only shot it a few times when I took it out with the others after Christmas, but it seemed to function just fine. As a matter of fact, I'm considering putting it into the other M39's stock, at least temporarily.

Do you still want the stock, at4rxj? If you do, get hold of me and we'll work out the shipping arrangements.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts