Mosin HB Is it Worth it?

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by YugoCrazy, Aug 25, 2010.

1. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Well, if you have an old worn shot out barrel Mosin it certainly couldn't hurt. Of course with no front sight on it you may have to scope the thing, too.

2. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I suppose it might be worth it if you are trying to build a custom Mosin tack-driver and load your own ammunition so you can tune a load to a particular rifle, just to show what a Mosin can be made to do. But otherwise? I don't know.

3. YugoCrazy

YugoCrazy G&G Newbie

Im Making A Custom Stock That Looks Something Like This...

[​IMG]

4. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

I almost failed woodwork in Jr. high school.

5. YugoCrazy

YugoCrazy G&G Newbie

Using The Original Stock As A Starting Point...

6. I'll buy one for a penciled gun. Hey Mark, Post this over on the other forum. I want to keep the link

Seeya
    Mark

7. For $71 its cheaper than other after market parts, best to pick one up, may be a PIA to source later.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  8. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

If you have the money and know how and capability to put it on properly, do it! That would make more a very interesting project.

9. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Well, if you do replace the barrel, let us know if it works out. I have one 91/30 with a pretty bad bore that doesn't group very well.

10. YugoCrazy

YugoCrazy G&G Newbie

Never Planned to install It Gan...Just Thought It Was interesting..And Neat...And CHEAP For A Bull Barrel...

11. Just be aware that those barrels aren't new bull barrels, they're old machine gun barrels cut for a mosin receiver.

12. franchi

franchi Guest

its a used barrel.... if you want a bench rifle out of a mosin take the money and buy a .30cal bull barrel and mate it to a mosin

13. YugoCrazy

YugoCrazy G&G Newbie

14. RangeShooter

RangeShooter G&G Newbie

Pre-threaded and chambered barrels from Shilen start at $400.
    These reprofiled barrels from the UK-59 threaded to fit a 91/30 receiver may be used, but the one I have has a great bore for $75:
    [​IMG]

15. RocketHound

RocketHound G&G Newbie

Greetings all!
    First post.

Hope i'm not necroposting in this thread but i'm researching the barrels sold at Tennesee Gun in the hopes i can find information about other's experiences in mount and using this barrel.

I'll be getting a another 91/30 and this barrel soon and hope to get the OD turned down to something a little more aesthetically pleasing.
    Gonna make a tack driver out of it.

16. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Enthusiast

Definitely keep us posted.