Mosin Headspace Gauges

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by Cyrano, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Awhile back, one of the members was looking for a source for headspace gauges for his Mosin Nagant. I did some searching and sent a could of emails. Here's a response from a place that makes the gauges.

Thank you for contacting us.

Yes, we make the NoGo (part# BG762RN) and Field (BG762RF) headspace gages for the 7.62x54R cartridge. The headspace gages are $28.00 each plus shipping and handling.

Please let us know if you need any other information.

Best regards,
    Molly

Forster Products
    310 E Lanark Ave
    Lanark IL 61046

2. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. They aren't a bad idea to have, but I have never seen a Mosin with any headspacing ussues anyways. They headspace on the rim of the case. There would have to be something really messed up then to have a problem. That's not to say there couldn't be any with a headspace issue, but odds are good it'll be good to go.

3. 19cohiba75

19cohiba75 G&G Newbie

I bought the set of coin style gauges from here :
    Okie Headspace Gauges
    When I bought them he was starting out. Great gauges if your going to a show, you can pop them in and out to check headspace.

4. Cyrano

New York
    I know what you mean, cohiba. I have a "No-Go" coin gauge I bought from an engineering firm called American Engineering in Brockton, MA. The thing is, when I looked for them online recently, I couldn't find a listing for them. They may have gone out of business.

5. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

From a staunch Mauser fan,You don't need to worry about headspace on a mosin because they don't have CUP pressure enough to hurt anything anyway.Espevially using that Russian ammo.Just looked in the 49th edition of Lyman load book and CUP is so low they don't even attempt to list it,compared to a whopping 48,500 CUP in an 8mm Mauser!!!!! (sure hope everyone is in a good mood and wants to joke this morning)

6. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

They do not list pressures for the Mosin because it can handle anything you stuff in it !! Now them poorly designed German Mausers go KABOOM so often, pressure is a serious problem,lol !! The only Mauser worth having is a Swedish one. Then you can see what the Germans missed. Germany lost every war they ever fought. Thats not the kind of record I want to hitch my wagon to when selecting a rifle Sam !! And yes, I'm laughing as I type this !!

7. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

The germans lost on the eastern front because all of the broken Mosins kept getting clogged up in the German tank tracks.Of course the Mosins did work great for steel tent stakes and firewood if they weren't too badly blown up.I guess that does make them good for something.And The germans did defeat the Romans.(but I don't think they were Germans yet) And of course they could always get the French to surrender.But they just couldn't beat the Russian cold and American fortitude.WHL,the english did tag along to learn how to drink beer and fight.

8. Cyrano

New York
    Thread drift time...

Be fair, sam. The British fought alone against the Germans and Italians for more than a year before Hitler made two profound mistakes. First, he headed east in search of more lebensraum without concluding a peace or an armistice with the Brits first, thereby insuring that he'd have to fight a two-front war. Second, he declared war on America 3 days after Pearl Harbor instead of leaving well enough alone, thereby insuring that sooner or later he'd have to face off against a country that could outproduce the Third Reich in every category, that had an industrial plant out of the Luftwaffe's reach, meaning that he would lose the war of production and thereby the war in the West.

America became a primary producer of weaponry - it was not for nothing Roosevelt referred to the USA an "the Arsenal of Democracy" - but we did not become the senior military partner in the Western Alliance until after D-Day in 1944. Up until then, we'd had maybe six or eight divisions plus the 8th and 9th Air Forces in combat in Europe, plus the naval contributions to the antisubmarine campaign in the Battle of the Atlantic. The UK had something on the order of 20 divisions under arms and in the field before that. Ultimately they fielded one Army in Europe, commanded by that boil on a corporal's behind, Bernard Law Montgomery his own damned self. The Army Group he commanded consisted of one British army and two American armies. Omar Bradley, "the GI's General" had two army groups under him. The Commonwealth forces did a whole lot more than just tag along and drink warm beer.

Of course, after Operation Market Garden, that politically-driven clusterfuck, and Montgomery's (to put it politely) ill-advised press conference in which he blamed the fiasco on "inadequate support by the Americans" when the fuckwad had absolute priority on troops, POL, ammo, supplies and air support and still could not get the job done because the Germans didn't react the way he thought they would, if I'd been Dwight Eisenhower I'd have told the Chief of the Imperial General Staff, Field Marshal Alan Brooke, "You have 24 hours to relieve Montgomery and get him out of my theater of operations, or I'll shoot the sonofabitch myself. Or maybe I'll send Georgie Patton to do it. He'd like that." Eisenhower by 1944 had sent home at least a dozen general officers, busted back to their permanent grades in the peacetime army, for speaking disparagingly of the British. Two reasons I have no respect for Eisenhower at all as a general are A) allowing Montgomery to stage Market Garden when Patton was in a position to blow right through the undefended Siegfried Line and rape the industrial heart of the Reich, thereby cutting the Germans off from resupply; and B) not busting Montgomery for that press conference in which Montgomery lied through his teeth and tried to shift the blame off his own shoulders and onto the Americans. There were a dozen general officers from Alan Brooke himself on to Auchinleck and Gort who could have taken over Montgomery's job and done it better than that egomaniac!

In case you're wondering, this incident is one of the six greatest mistakes Eisenhower made during the war, in my opinion. I've long wanted to write a book counterpointing Bedell Smith's Eisenhower's Six Greatest Decisions that shows him up as what he really was: a career rear echelon motherfucker who never saw combat, who had to be carried by his staff, who was appointed to the top post primarily for his ability to get people as disparate as George Smith Patton Junior, Bernard Law Montgomery his own damned self and Charles de Gaulle to pull more or less together in harness. In my opinion, his six great mistakes extended the war by a year and directly contributed to the Soviet Union taking over all of central Europe east of the Elbe River and abandoning millions of people to the Communists.

But I won't allow the British contribution to World War II to pass unchallenged. They had to stand up to much more than America did in that war. They too are part of "the greatest generation."

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  9. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

^ Thats what you say Cyrano but I got my history from the New York Times!So there!

10. SwedeSteve

!!!!! I am totally amazed that there is ONE surviving man that viewed this whole debacle as I perceived it !!!!!

11. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

I got my Mosin headspace gause from Yankee Engineers P.O. box 2183 Brockton MA 02305 or [email protected] . I had to wait about three weeks as he makes them as they are ordered. He makes them for alot of different applications too. I chatted with the owner on the phone for about 10 minutes one day an he was a very pleasant person to deal with. I believe he also sells on Gunbroker.

Michael

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  12. Cyrano

New York
    Same guy I got mine from. He makes gauges for a whole bunch of different rifles. Have to add him to my firearms resource list.

13. SwedeSteve

I ordered mine off of Midway to take advantage of the Dealer discount.