Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Сергей Иванович Мосин.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So being as I have an impending move to California this late May/early June, I have sent my AK across country with my father to my uncle's house in Arizona to reside there for the time being. Is the Mosin (all variants) legal in California? With the Bayonet or no? If it has the ability to have a bayonet attached to it, would that make it illegal? I appreciate in advance all of your combined expertise.

If so, I will seriously look at getting a Mosin (any variant). Is there any variant that is "better" than others? I'm leaning towards this GunBroker.com guns: Russian Mosin Nagant M91/30 Bolt Act Rifle-EXTRAS! (item: 96323401 ends: Apr-08-08 03:08:29 PM) M91/30. I certainly love the look of it and have loved every Mosin I have shot, but those are limited to M44s

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where in California? I'm in Orange County and it's pretty nice.

That aside, all variants of the Mosin are legal in California, since in order for the assault weapon ban to apply to the rifle, it would have to be a semiautomatic. The Mosins sold here are sold with the foldable bayo, it's legal to have. No worries on the legal end of things.

As far as which is better, it depends on what you're going for. Another part of the equation that's much more important than people give it credit for, is the condition of the rifle; regardless of the model. You can have a 91/30 ex sniper with a bad bore that's terribly inaccurate, and a good bore on an m44 that shoots much better than the ex sniper model. A lot of it depends on the condition of the bore and rifling.

For comparison, we'll use a 91/30 and an m44, both in good condition. (Nice bore, nice rifling, everything). The 91/30's tend to be more accurate with less kick, the m44's have more flash and you feel the power a bit more. Both are pretty accurate and fun to shoot.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
If you want to start at the top of the heap, then the Finnish M39 is probably the best, and the "B" barrel is considered the top model. If you want to spend somewhat less than $250-$350, then look for an post war production M44 from 1946-1948 or a Romanian/Hungarian 50's vintage.

There are still a lot of very good 91/30's out there but you have to be a lot more selective.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
The Mosins are totally legal. No worries there.

You can also bring your AK with you as long as it's not listed and you take the pistol grip off and put on a Monsterman grip. Oh and no hi-cap mags can be brought with it.

PM me if you want more info.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
that 91/30 is double the price you should be paying and you're paying for the case too! you can do a much better deal than that at any of the importers! or even buy one at a big5 on sale when you get here. if you buy it in kali, you'll have to pay for a $30 background check and wait 10 days to get it though. i'm guessing you allready have a c&r or you wouldn't be looking to buy on gunbroker, so just got aim or cai's website and get one from them for about $69.95 if you want it now. doesn't matter what model you get. you'll be getting more soon after!:09: don't forget to register any rifles you bring to kali withing 10 days.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
So being as I have an impending move to California this late May/early June, I have sent my AK across country with my father to my uncle's house in Arizona to reside there for the time being. Is the Mosin (all variants) legal in California? With the Bayonet or no? If it has the ability to have a bayonet attached to it, would that make it illegal? I appreciate in advance all of your combined expertise.

If so, I will seriously look at getting a Mosin (any variant). Is there any variant that is "better" than others? I'm leaning towards this GunBroker.com guns: Russian Mosin Nagant M91/30 Bolt Act Rifle-EXTRAS! (item: 96323401 ends: Apr-08-08 03:08:29 PM) M91/30. I certainly love the look of it and have loved every Mosin I have shot, but those are limited to M44s
J&G has 91X30s on sale now for 59.95
J&G Sales

·
Сергей Иванович Мосин.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for your support. Register all rifles within 10 days of moving to California? How? Where?

The AK is not going to have the pistol grip taken off, nor am I going to get rid of my hi-cap mags. I'm just not going to bring it to California. My uncle lives in Phoenix and I'll be in the Bay Area so it's not all that far a drive for a "fun" weekend with my AK.

My friend has "Mosinitis" or so he says and I sure do love his M44. It's a beaut.

Those J&G Mosin's sure do look nice compared to everything on gunbroker. Are the weapons in good condition/high quality? I wasn't sure of what price was right for Mosins so I found $180 to be pretty reasonable haha.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Thanks all for your support. Register all rifles within 10 days of moving to California? How? Where?

The AK is not going to have the pistol grip taken off, nor am I going to get rid of my hi-cap mags. I'm just not going to bring it to California. My uncle lives in Phoenix and I'll be in the Bay Area so it's not all that far a drive for a "fun" weekend with my AK.

My friend has "Mosinitis" or so he says and I sure do love his M44. It's a beaut.

Those J&G Mosin's sure do look nice compared to everything on gunbroker. Are the weapons in good condition/high quality? I wasn't sure of what price was right for Mosins so I found $180 to be pretty reasonable haha.
In spite of what the rest of the country believes about the People's Republik of Kalifornia, you don't need to register rifles or shotguns. If you're bringing handguns into the state, you have 60 days to file a New Resident Handgun Ownership Report. Oddly enough, there's no such requirement for handguns bought here by residents; go figure.

The only weapons actually requiring registration are so-called "assault weapons."

By the way, Arizona may not be as close to the Bay Area as you think; from San Francisco to Phoenix is about a 750-mile drive one-way.

Unless you're the impatient type, I'd wait until I get to California if I were you, and look for Big 5 Sporting Goods to put the 91/30's or M44's on sale. Last weekend, they were selling 91/30's for $79.95. Even with the sales tax and fees, that's only about a hundred bucks. And you'll actually get to hold one in your hand and look it over before paying for it...

Here's a website with a list of FAQ's about firearms in California. It's well-worth a few minutes of your time to scan through it:

Frequently Asked Questions - Public - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

·
Сергей Иванович Мосин.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Oh that's good. I was a bit afraid about that.

It's actually going to be from San Luis Obispo to a bit northeast of Phoenix so I believe it's something like 600 miles. I won't be in the Bay Area all that much, but even so, that's not all that big a drive for me haha.

I think that's what I'll wind up doing, $100 is a great deal if I'm getting a good rifle.

And thanks for the website link Troy!

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I thought no bayonets are allowed in California?
Bayonets are totally legal, as well as bayonet lugs. California gun law doesn't mention bayonets or lugs at all. That was only part of the Federal gun ban that sunsetted back in 04.

I don't know how bayonets and rifles being used for hunting are regulated though. I believe in other states that's a no-no.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Ok, I only asked because I thought with a Yugo for instance, it couldn't have the grenade launcher or the bayo on it per California's rules? In fact, I thought I read that hear when someone asked? Could be wrong and if I am then I am. lol

Sorry I feel the way I do T2K. But I think if I want to go out and buy an AR with 30 round magazines I should be able to. Anything less is a restriction of my 2nd Amendment rights. Also, last I heard it's illegal for any Government agency, State or Federal, to keep any record of who owns what? Could be wrong on that also and again, if I am then I am. I remember readin it on the NRA website. If I can find it I will. Maybe someone else has heard the same thing or knows it also. If so, maybe they'll say so?

But I don't agree with mandatory permanently mounted 10round mags on my AR just because I live in California. I mean seriously, 10 bullets can kill the same as 30 can. It comes down to the individual. So why limit? If you can trust a person with 10 bullets, what's 20 more bullets?

I love the state, the weather etc. etc. etc.. My brother even lives out there. Love to visit but that's IT! I just hate the fact they regulate people so much. I won't live there for many reasons. Doesn't mean I dislike the people that do though. I like you? I like to read your posts. I just wish, once, just once you'd get peeved about something. lol Even say now dammit, that just gets my goat or something. I've heard you say that's just stupid, but not about any restrictions where you are. Maybe you did when they first did it I don't know. lol

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
It's all good, Glock, I'm just pointing out the CA bayo rules as I understand it. I'm not a lawyer or anything, but I try very hard to stay on top of CA gun laws, and will fight the good fight as long as I can. As to the Yugo, the grenade launcher is definitely illegal as it is listed as a destructive device. That being said, you can have one if it is welded over, taken off or otherwise rendered inoperable. Which can be a C&R issue, but it's not 50 years old, so in CA I don't think that really matters.... and on and on and on.

I totally agree with you about this stupid state and it's stupid politicians. I would be outta here in 30 seconds but my wife doesn't want to be away from her family and all that. This state sucks, and I blame the liberal politicians and the people that elect them. (sorry Troy2000, no offense:) )

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
If you are stopping off in the Phoenix area anyway, then you might as well just go visit J&G in person (about 2-2.5 hours). It's a nice drive up I-17 to AZ-69.

J&G is closed on Sunday.:sad2:

SLO is still a pretty fer piece, but if you avoid LA (use 101, 134, and 210) it's do-able. It's longer than it looks.

I drive this route a couple of times a year to visit our perenial homes in the Bay Area. Sometimes 101 sometimes I-5 depends on the mood and whether we stop at Pismo.

Wow, guns in SLO? It's a Cal Poly college town. Used to be great pig hunting for Siberian Bore/domestic mix, just North of there, also coastal deer. I used to bow hunt there every year, when I was a kid with moderate success.

·
Сергей Иванович Мосин.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh I might just do that. Well I've done it before with no troubles (visiting family) and the only problem is avoiding speeding and the CHP for me.

I'm not going to be living anywhere near campus so it's not as big a deal for me lol, plus I have a few friends there who go shooting every weekend. There's apparently a very nice range in town even.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Ok, I only asked because I thought with a Yugo for instance, it couldn't have the grenade launcher or the bayo on it per California's rules? In fact, I thought I read that hear when someone asked? Could be wrong and if I am then I am. lol

Sorry I feel the way I do T2K. But I think if I want to go out and buy an AR with 30 round magazines I should be able to. Anything less is a restriction of my 2nd Amendment rights. Also, last I heard it's illegal for any Government agency, State or Federal, to keep any record of who owns what? Could be wrong on that also and again, if I am then I am. I remember readin it on the NRA website. If I can find it I will. Maybe someone else has heard the same thing or knows it also. If so, maybe they'll say so?

But I don't agree with mandatory permanently mounted 10round mags on my AR just because I live in California. I mean seriously, 10 bullets can kill the same as 30 can. It comes down to the individual. So why limit? If you can trust a person with 10 bullets, what's 20 more bullets?

I love the state, the weather etc. etc. etc.. My brother even lives out there. Love to visit but that's IT! I just hate the fact they regulate people so much. I won't live there for many reasons. Doesn't mean I dislike the people that do though. I like you? I like to read your posts. I just wish, once, just once you'd get peeved about something. lol Even say now dammit, that just gets my goat or something. I've heard you say that's just stupid, but not about any restrictions where you are. Maybe you did when they first did it I don't know. lol
I'm not sure exactly why you're apologising to me, Glockmeister. I'm not the one who wrote California's gun laws, and I don't think I've ever tried to defend the idiotic ones...

Fortunately for me, so far California laws don't really affect me much personally; the old-fashioned guns I mostly like aren't addressed by them. I suppose if I branch into SKS's next, it might annoy me to have to work around the stupid nonsense about grenade launchers, etc.

As far as losing my temper in general, I've been suspended from this forum once for "insulting a member." I don't intend for it to happen again. But if you think I'm not mad when I respond to some of the stuff on here, it's only because you can't see my keyboard smoking as I type.:09:

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Oh I might just do that. Well I've done it before with no troubles (visiting family) and the only problem is avoiding speeding and the CHP for me.

I'm not going to be living anywhere near campus so it's not as big a deal for me lol, plus I have a few friends there who go shooting every weekend. There's apparently a very nice range in town even.
Glad to hear it. Like I said it used to be a great hunting area, and maybe still is. It gets pretty rugged North of there in the coastal range and Los Padres NF.

With the exception of the government medling, and tax you til you die mentality... It's a great place to live.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Glad to hear it. Like I said it used to be a great hunting area, and maybe still is. It gets pretty rugged North of there in the coastal range and Los Padres NF.

With the exception of the government medling, and tax you til you die mentality... It's a great place to live.
I've been told it's still good pig country. Thats one thing that turns me green with envy; there aren't a whole lot of Siberian boars hanging around in the Southland, particularly the desert. There are some pigs over toward Riverside in the river bottom of the Santa Anna River, but it's too populated for hunting there.

And a friend of mine was actually hired to take out some pigs that were rooting up a golf course near San Timoteo Canyon, between Banning/Beaumont and Redlands. He not only had some great hunting, he got paid for it!

·
Registered
45 Posts
SLO's a half hour away from me; born and raised in SLO Co.. Still a great place to live. You'll have a couple of ranges to shoot at, one private, and one public; both no more than 15 min. from SLO. The public range is also open Thurs. evenings, and I've heard the RO out there is into Mil-Surps.

Good luck with the move, and drop me a line when you're settled; we're always lookin' for new shooting buddies.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts