Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you help with this Mosin? It is a Model 91/30. I understand that it is a captured rifle because there is an SA inside a box with rounded corners on the back left of the receiver. Is that correct?

The top forestock is capped in copper, front and rear.

Directly behind the rear sight it says PUOLUST USLAITOS.
There is a star underneath that with an arow pointing toward the muzzle.
Under that is the date, 1934.
Then there is a capital N, with what looks like a backward c to its right. Under that is a capital D.
Then the serial #, 106396.

It has the leather loops and a green canvas sling, the cleaning rod and a spike bayonette.
This belonged to a collector who sold a bunch of guns to a dealer. It is nicely cleaned up. Paid $129.

Any info that you can provide would be appreciated. TJ

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
Finnish Marked Russian and Soviet Mosin Nagants
All content copyright © 7.62x54r.net
Return to Mosin Nagant Virtual Museum
Return to the Marks Introduction
Return to 7.62x54r.net Home Page

Finland acquired many Russian and Soviet Mosin Nagants by various means including capture and purchase. Not all of them were stripped for parts and rebuilt with Finnish barrels, but were put back into service as they were, or with minor repairs and upgrades. Sometimes the only means of identifying these rifles is by the Finnish markings, of which there are several. The most common is the "boxed SA" mark which is an abbreviation of Suomen Armeija (Finnish Army) and used as a property mark. Another common mark is the "D" mark, usually found on the chamber, but sometimes on the rear sight base. This indicates that the throat of the rifle was opened up to allow use of the Finnish D166 round which required more room for the larger ogive of the bullet. If the rifle was used by the Civil Guard it will have an "S" followed by a number which indicates the Civil Gaurd district it was issued to. If it has two Ss and a number that is an indication that it was an army rifle that was loaned to the Civil Guard. Most Civil Guard rifles were transferred to the army when the Civil Guard was disbanded and also have the "boxed SA" mark. "=S=" is the Civil Guard acceptance mark which sometimes accompanies the S number. All the Civil Guard marks are less common than the army marks. "41" is believed to indicate the year 1941, but it's exact meaning is unclear. It possibly indicates repairs were made at that time. A truly rare Finnish mark is "PUOLUSTUSLAITOS" meaning "Defense Department" which was only used for two months in 1942 before being replaced with the "boxed SA". Another uncommon Finnish mark on Russian/Soviet Mosin Nagants is the "3600" pressure proof. Apparently the Finns questioned the strength of these rifles and felt a need to proof them. The vast majority of Finnish captured and purchased rifles were not re-proofed. The pictures below show the various styles and typical locations of the marks. For the use of the boxed SA mark on Finnish built rifles, see the SA Marked Finnish Mosin Nagants page.

it looks like you are now a charter member of the official NEATO GUN CLUB!:scool:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Glad to see you decided to buy a rifle and a nice choice at that. Congradulations, she sounds like a very unique piece.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Sounds like a cool rifle TriggerJerk. I hope you know you can't buy just one Mosin. :)

BTW what the eff is your avatar now billy? :bigeyes:

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Nice Find! This is one of the few M\N's that will actually bring a premium if you ever decide to sell it (I wouldn't). :cool3: :yup:

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
All I can say is "wow..great..super" :arms:as I wipe the drool from my chops.. Congrats Triggerjerk!!! PICS..PICS..PICS

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My older brother, who is in the military, and a bit of a historian, said that it would be a Finnish capture from the Winter War of 1939-1940.

I do not have photographic technical equipment...sorry.

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
do you have a digital camera? even a phone one?
cmon say yes....

1st centerfire and ya get one that was only made for 2 months!
i was getting jealous and then i remembered my enfield.
you got the coolest mosin!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it wasn't realy made for two months...they only used PUOLUSTUSLAITOS on the receiver for two months.

And no...no digital camera...or cell phone. :sad2:

I make knife sheaths, some in snakeskin. My friend took photos and we tried to post them, but couldn't figure out how.

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
Well it wasn't realy made for two months...
details details....:)

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
just foolin ...dont mind me

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
TJ isn't it far past time we collectively drag you screaming in terror into the 21st century? No digital camera I can understand, but not even a cell phone I mean c'mon now. (Just yanking yer chain Bud! LOL)Congrats on the rifle sounds like a fine keeper!

·
Premium Member
30,669 Posts
thats mosin dementia :scool:

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Triggerjerk you did good feller and congrats. Don't feel bad I don't have a camara either and I sure don't want a cell phone...A.H

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I took it out for a test firing. Let's just say that Triggerjerk wants a recoil pad before he goes any farther with Mosin Mania.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Cell phones are expensive. But I've seen digital cameras at walmart for like fifteen dollars that are almost as good as the one I've had for years.

Not sure how the recoil is on a 9130. My plain 91 without a pad feels the same as my 44 with a limbsaver. I'd say you don't need one on a longer barrel, but the 30's not 91 long.

My 91's an SA, but not one of those rare ones.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts