Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone see the three kings? on hbo last night. an iraqi kid used a mosin sniper on someone before getting blown up. funny how you notice the rifles now that ya have one.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I have noticed them now that I collect !! a lotta SKS in movies too

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
I'll have to rewatch that movie! I love seeing milsurps in the movies.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yeah... it's almost a little strange to be watching "Abandoned" (one of the first 8 "After Dark" horror films) and to be admiring the Mosin Nagant while my fiance is cringing from the thing it's pointed at.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
I think its funny Shultze on Hogans Heros carries a 30-40 Krag Jorgenson and not a K98.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Even funnier was a cowboy in a Lone Ranger episode carrying a Enfield.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Mosin sniper sighting

There was a Mosin as a sniper rifle in WW II movie of the Normandy Invasion, but am having detail recall problems was it the Longest Day? Dirty Dozen? Damn I know I saw it at the time & noticed It was a Mosin in German Hands.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
might have been the longest day. i'll have to get the dvd of that one. great flick!

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Did the platoon sharpshooter in Saving Private Ryan use a Mosin? Or was it a Springfield? Been a long time since I've seen that movie, didn't know what a Mosin was then.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Nope Saving Ryans Privates was a Springfield. He shot it left handed too.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Lol Enemy at the Gates's weapon of the main character is... you guessed it, a Mosin. Its about vassili zaitsev, a guy in real life who killed over 400 people with a Mosin 91/30.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,394 Posts
When we've kicked this topic around in the past, Kelly's Heroes has usually come up. I was skeptical about whether there was a Mosin in it, so I pulled out the DVD and scene-selected for the opening of the attack on the bank in the town, which shows the rifle best. Watch that sequence and you will get enough angles to prove beyond doubt that Private Gutowski (Richard Davalos) is using a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 rifle, complete with sniper bolt, Soviet-made scope and Soviet Mosin sniper mount.

The question that sticks in my mind is: Where and how did Gutowski ever get his hands on a M-N sniper and ammo for it? There weren't all that many of them out there at any given time, and certainly not on the Western Front! I've been trying to come up with a rationalization that enables a US Army private to carry a screamingly nonregulation weapon. Even if Gutowski were a certified sniper (an MOS that I don't think existed as such in the US Army in World War II), he'd have been using a Springfield M1903A4, not a Mosin Nagant. Try this on for size as an explanation.

It was standard practice for the Germans to pick up stocks of weapons and ammunition from countries they conquered. Nonstandard pistols, (e.g., the Kongsberg Colt .45 ACP M1911 variant built by the Norwegians) would be issued to local rear echelon troops who were in the conquered territory, because they'd be close to the ammo manufacturer. Early in the Russian campaign, the Wehrmacht ran roughshod over the Red Army and captured arms depots on the Eastern Front. That's a matter of historical record.

Now: suppose some rear echelon unit that had been doing occupation duty in, say, the Ukraine got transferred to the Western Theater. Hitler had very few first-line divisions in the West when Operation Overlord took place in June, 1944. Most of the units manning the beach defenses and pulling internal security duty were second-rate units equipped with obsolecent equipment, including captured transport and weapons. A unit sent west from similar duties on the Ostfront might well be equipped with Soviet rifles. It's also possible a German officer 'liberated' a M-N sniper and took it with him after being wounded are reassigned, though German practice was to try and keep officers in the same regiment as far as was practicable.

It's possible that Gutowski (note his name; he's Polish) could have found the M-N in, perhaps, an overrun barracks along with its ammunition, recognized it from family stories his father or grandfather told about their service in the Imperial Russian Army in the First World War (Poland was a pressganged part of Russia back then) for what it was, and appropriated it. If he knew how to use it well - and he shows he does in the sequence under discussion - a smart officer would turn a blind eye to his Russian rifle. Big Joe (Telly Savalas), his platoon sergeant, is that smart. His C.O., Captain Maitland (Hal Buckley) isn't; but he's a mediocre to bad officer anyway, who likely only was commissioned because his uncle is a general.

Of course, a far more likely explanation is the armorer on Kelly's Heroes couldn't get his hands on a Springfield M1903A4 and realized he couldn't get away with using a Model 70 or a modern sporting rifle, so he looked for any World War II-era sniper rifle he could find. The Mosin-Nagant was it. Be nice if we could ask Major Alexander Gerry, the technical advisor on the picture, what actually happened.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
The answer

Yup that is what the movie was, I guess the movie prop department was not on the ball, just some WWII rifle to fill the part!

·
Registered
827 Posts
actually i just saw the movie, Enemy at the Gates. Just goes to show you how stupid the Russians were in Stalingrad, they may have won, but decimating there OWN troops is just stupid.dam communism.

The kills never failed to give you a good blood splatter at impact.
Wish they would have kept Koulikov(the guy with the metal teeth) on longer, hes great.

Dammit, these are new pants, just took them off a Captain at the 251st yeasterday"
-Koulikov

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Mosin what is even more incredable is after the war the Russkies killed all the top military leaders that sucsessfully defended Stalingrad. They apparently wanted to cover up the fact that the Germans got to Stalingrad. Too embarressing to the Rooskies I guess.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Sniper 2,the main charecter calls a Mosin-Nagant a Mauser.
There were some Mosins in Octopussy.
yeah but I wasnt looking at the rifles when I saw that movie hehe

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Mosin what is even more incredable is after the war the Russkies killed all the top military leaders that sucsessfully defended Stalingrad. They apparently wanted to cover up the fact that the Germans got to Stalingrad. Too embarressing to the Rooskies I guess.
Stalin was a sick individual. So worried about a revolt that he killed who ever he thought was a threat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts