Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just curious if anyone here has refit their Mosin with one of the ATI composite stocks, I've been considering one but would like input from one who has already done it to see what your reaction to it is. Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I like the looks of it, but I would have to have a scope mount to enjoy I believe, due to the high comb. Not exactly ideal for open sights. Still it's one of the only options out there as far as synthetic stocks are concerned.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
????
there are lots and lots of military stocks avalible for mail order
century had them so did sog get a SGN they are there.....

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I had an Advanced Technologys synthetic stock on my M91/38 and switched back to the original wood after two trips to the range. It just didn't suit me.

Nick

·
Registered
234 Posts
Only reason I would change stocks is to raise the cheekpiece enough to see through a scope w/o having to lift your cheek off the butt, which makes you (debatably) less stable. I'm just gonna glue a piece of rubber on for a cheekpiece tho :D Bubba'd I guess? Bubba'd but works. I like the old wooden stocks though.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Or maybe a leather lace on type like on the M1-C/D Garand?

Nick

·
Registered
25 Posts
I like my ATI stock. At first it didn't fit. I had to use an exacto knife and small wood chisel on it. I had to square out the rounded corners in the pit where the front receiver bolt goes in. Now it fits tight and I like it alot. They don't use a cross bolt so you want that metal block on the receiver to fit tight against the polymer block on the stock. My original stock is in excellent shape after cleaning the rust off the sling grommets and a new coat of shelac. If you have small dings you can put water in them and iron them out.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have mixed opinions on these ATI Mosin stocks. For the low price (for the black ones at least), you get a decent looking and handling drop-in stock that is rugged and practical. I think that the cheek height is excessive, but I have not installed a scope mount to see if that justifies the height. With the military iron sights, the cheek weld has to be VERY tight (unnatural) in order to get an effective sight picture.

I have one "gunsmith special" 91/30 that arrived with a crushed stock, an ugly muzzle, and no front sight. I shortened the barrel, mounted adjustable iron sights, and added an ATI stock. The stock required some fitting, particularly along the forearm due to a casting flaw or design which warped the forearm. It wasn't too severe and I was able to float the barrel without too much of a gap on the non-offending side. The new sights are slightly taller than the original sights; that helps with the high cheek piece. I was pleased with the rifle.

I later purchased another ATI stock for another project. The warped forearm on this newer stock was so severe that once the barrel was cleared, there was a substantial gap on the opposite side. Junk. Not happy with that one. I easily overlook minor flaws and shortcuts on low-end products, but the poor quality of the ATI Mosin moulds is (was) not acceptable. Perhaps ATI has since corrected that flaw......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Response from ATI

I'm not a fan of ati stocks..the plastic finish just looks cheap..like a dime store toy gun.
With all due respect, our stocks are not made from plastic, but a high-grade glass-filled nylon. Compare the Hi-Point 9mm stock that comes on the gun originally to our stock. You'll find that ours is a heavy, solid stock.

We've upgraded the texture and finish on all of our stocks, so perhaps you'd like to try them again. Please feel free to call us with questions ANYTIME at 800-925-2522.

Anytime you buy one of our stocks, it is 100% guaranteed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Improvements

I have mixed opinions on these ATI Mosin stocks. For the low price (for the black ones at least), you get a decent looking and handling drop-in stock that is rugged and practical. I think that the cheek height is excessive, but I have not installed a scope mount to see if that justifies the height. With the military iron sights, the cheek weld has to be VERY tight (unnatural) in order to get an effective sight picture.

I have one "gunsmith special" 91/30 that arrived with a crushed stock, an ugly muzzle, and no front sight. I shortened the barrel, mounted adjustable iron sights, and added an ATI stock. The stock required some fitting, particularly along the forearm due to a casting flaw or design which warped the forearm. It wasn't too severe and I was able to float the barrel without too much of a gap on the non-offending side. The new sights are slightly taller than the original sights; that helps with the high cheek piece. I was pleased with the rifle.

I later purchased another ATI stock for another project. The warped forearm on this newer stock was so severe that once the barrel was cleared, there was a substantial gap on the opposite side. Junk. Not happy with that one. I easily overlook minor flaws and shortcuts on low-end products, but the poor quality of the ATI Mosin moulds is (was) not acceptable. Perhaps ATI has since corrected that flaw......
We have! Rifle Stocks and other Gunstocks for AK, AR, SKS and more - Advanced Technology, Inc.

·
Registered
767 Posts
With all due respect, our stocks are not made from plastic, but a high-grade glass-filled nylon. Compare the Hi-Point 9mm stock that comes on the gun originally to our stock. You'll find that ours is a heavy, solid stock.
We've upgraded the texture and finish on all of our stocks, so perhaps you'd like to try them again. Please feel free to call us with questions ANYTIME at 800-925-2522.
Anytime you buy one of our stocks, it is 100% guaranteed.
Sorry, I have not held or handled your AK or SKS rifle stocks....but if they are anything like your dragunov stocks, well...here is a picture...please tell me this does not look like dime store junk: (and it feels worse)

This photo is from a story comparing the ATI to the Choate 10/22 Dragunov stock at our ruger22.com website...here is the story....sorry, but our site does not kiss up to manufacturers..and when we see a dog, we call it a dog.

If you have updated your Dragunov, let us know. and we will BUY another to test. :34:

The Ruger22 Factory Model Ruger 10/22 Page

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I have had several bad experiences with ATI, that is me personally, maybe I just have bad luck. The SKS stock I had was a cheap piece of crap that went in the trash, I wouldn't want to even give it away.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
That 10/22 stock looks like a piece of crap to me! Wow!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Since SKS stocks were mentioned, I had one of those also. I just didn't like the feel of it and went back to the original stock. Nothing technically wrong with it, I just prefered the original.

Nick

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got a Tikka 91/30 that came with ATI stock. It needed a lot of work to fit right. The tang area was a little shallow and the recoil-lug cut was too deep. I cleared some plastic out of the tung area and glass bedded the action. I still needed to remove more plastic on the sides and fore end. I kind of like it now, after the works I did. The rubber butt pad is a plus during firing but it grabs the clothes (as opposed to the steel butt plate) when shouldering the rifle. Grip is on the small side. In the end, I'd rather have the original stocks.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Ya know with all of the MN's out there it would be nice to have the option of a modified wood stock (like the one young Vasily Z. is using to shoot the wolf). Could probably have em made in you-know-where pretty cheap.

Anybody in the group handy at making hardwood rifle stocks?

Which brings me to a couple of ATI questions?

Why do the the ATI stocks take so much extra fitting work? There can't be that much varriation in the rifle component sizes. I would expect a plug-n-play product.

And second: Why is the camo stock so much more expensive than the plain one?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts