close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mosin Nagant 91/30 maximum range.

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by PushPuller, May 5, 2012.

1. PushPuller

PushPuller G&G Newbie

Hey fellow mosin owners.
    I was just curious what the longest distance shots you guys have made.

With my 1937 Tula, I recently made 8 of 10 shots on a 15"x15" target at 200 yards. This was with iron sights.
    Is this acceptable for a for a mosin?

2. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

Yes it is.

3. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

I'd say thats exceptional!

4. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

I guess it's time to break this one out of the vault, again.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2M1hC4c0tc&feature=related]1,000 yards 1942 91/30 Russian Mosin-Nagant (P/U) sniper rifle - YouTube[/ame]

5. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

"I recently made 8 of 10 shots on a 15"x15" target at 200 yards. This was with iron sights."

I'd say that's acceptable -- if you were shooting offhand with the irons. But if you have tuned up your Mosin even a little bit -- by which I define "a little bit of tuning" as having free-floated the barrel and polished the bolt body, the boltway, and all the bolt parts -- putting the best part of two magazines in a square 15 inches on a side is not a good performance from the bench.

There are plenty of 91/30s (I own one) that will shoot to minute of angle from the bench. In addition to the little bit of tuning I mentioned, I've also worked on the trigger and installed a scope. Natasha repays my work with performance ... but lately she's been hinting she'd really like a Finnish trigger setup to go with the 180 grain match ammo I've gotten for her.

6. goat roper

goat roper G&G Enthusiast

I've shot at and hit an 18 X 24 metal target at 400 yards with open sights and spam can ammo in prone supported position. We have vintage military bolt action matches at our club range once a month - no scopes. There are 5 different sections at different distances, and different target selections and combinations, and various positions. They mix it up some for each match. My Finn was the best for me at the 400 yard distance, but it is a little too nose heavy for me to be accurate in the offhand section at 185 yards. Tried my M44 once. Many people commented that it was the loudest. It was good for the offhand, but I couldn't hit anything else with it. I didn't have it sighted in very well. Most sections have targets at about 250 to 300 yards. I'm not really serious about the competitions. I'm not very good, but I have fun doing it. I haven't finished last yet. Some of those guys can really shoot.

Has anybody else noticed how much trouble people seem to have operating the bolt on a Mosin? - referring to the video.

Verne

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  7. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

8. PushPuller

PushPuller G&G Newbie

My Mosin is that I'm regarding to is CURRENTLY all stock. I did however order the ATI Monte Carlo and a scope and a mount. So once its all said and done I will hopefully have a 600 yard gun, hopefully anyway. I also plan to shorten its barrel a couple of inches and re-crown it. I feel kind of bad for modernizing it so much to be totally honest. Haha that's half the reason I went and picked up an M38 not to long ago.

9. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

What is this urge of all Bubba's to shorten the barrels" The sights are set to those barrels, so if you cut it then you certainly shall have to alter the sights somehow or scope the thing. Which leads to a total Bubbafication of the gun. And shorter barrels do not usually a more accurate rifle make!

10. savage1r

savage1r G&G Regular

This time I did it with a scope: [ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl3JRI75SsI]YouTube - First 1000 yards[/ame]
    Another time we made the same shot (4 of us) with iron sights. Didn't get that one on video, but easily the best shot I ever made.

11. tobnpr

tobnpr G&G Enthusiast

"Acceptable" is in the eye of the beholder....
    I guess most would consider that decent shooting (I don' shoot iron sights at all, so I'm sure that' better than I would do), but certainly wouldn't win any CMP matches...

The rifle is capable of minute of angle of better accuracy with a good bore and handloads, I regularly shoot mine at 565 yards- at a 10" plate. But, it is "sporterized" with the received bedded with pillars, and a Timney trigger which adds to it's accuracy.

12. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Evangelist

The longest shots I have ever taken were with my 1954 Romanian M44, from the prone, I was able to hit a 55 gal drum with 4 out of the 5 shots at just under 800 yards. After I saw where the first round hit I just adjusted and took my time with the other 4. I nor my rifle are by any means "sniper worthy" but these rifle are more than able to hit a target from alot further than alot of people want to try.

I have never tried to shoot this rifle at 100 yards to see groups. The reason I decided to try something like that shot was because I knew the rifle would hit paint cans and milk jugs I was shooting at, out past 200 yards and there was that old barrel sitting waaaay out there, my buddy used his laser range finder to tell me how far out it was so I could set my dope and hold.

Try looking up, and not just reading but learning the fundamentals of Marine Corps marksmanship, also dont skimp on your snap in time it is good practice

Last edited: May 6, 2012
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted