Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
troy 2000 it looks like your avitar shows the bottom nagant dressed in fiberglass.

Pro's or Con's you've experienced with the stock?

I plan on using my nagant in wet weather and wood will swell possibly throwing the point of aim off?

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I've generally read not good things about them, but I don't have personal experience with them.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
I didn't keep the stock long, killer

troy 2000 it looks like your avitar shows the bottom nagant dressed in fiberglass.

I plan on using my nagant in wet weather and wood will swell possibly throwing the point of aim off?
So I'm not really a good person to ask. I bought the M39 that way, planning to replace the stock from the get-go. I fired less than a box of rounds through it as pictured, removed the stock and gave it away, and stashed the gun until I could buy some wood for it.

It might have been all right with a scope, but using the Finnish iron sights I had to flatten my cheek hard against the comb to get a good sight picture. And I thought it just looked and felt cheesy.

I picked up an unissued stock a while back, and I have an unissued hand guard and a green leather sling both on their way as I write. Time to round up some hardware, I guess.

After I get done, I'll post a new family portrait of the Mosins.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
None of us have answered killer's original question

troy 2000 it looks like your avatar shows the bottom nagant dressed in fiberglass.

I'll try: M39's are pretty well floated in their stocks anyway, with just a couple of contact points. So I doubt a stock getting wet would make any noticeable difference. And even with the others, I think you'd be okay unless you were going for extreme long-range accuracy, in which case maybe you shouldn't be using an old milsurp.

But a lot of those Monte Carlo-style synthetic stocks get sold for Mosins, so they probably have their good points. Judging by my experience, they might be more suitable if you're going to use a scope which raises your head a little. Some guys use them for "beater" stocks, and put the original ones back on when they get home out of the bush and the weather.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
A buddy of mine dressed his 38 in a synthetic Monte Carlo stock he picked up at J&G Sales in Prescott.

He likes it.

I believe in keeping mil surps and old guns in original condition but dropping it in a synthetic stock, with no permanent modifications to the gun, is a good way to go.

The reason my buddy did it, primarily, is he couldn't find a suitable recoil pad to put on the wooden stock and the synthetic one had one built in. He has moderate arthritis in his shoulders and spine so any recoil reduction is a must for him.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I had one on an M91/30 and didn/t like the feel of it. I soon traded it away. The original stock is the choice I made.

Nick

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have his stock.

I have my Finn 91/30 with side mount that I wouldn't dream of taking the wood stock off of.

Then I have the M44. That one has the synthetic on it. I do prefer the looks of the gun with the wood on it. However, I think it shoots so much nicer with the synthetic on there. I noticed an improvement in accuracy, and it greatly reduces felt recoil. If you have something special / rare, or a pretty wood stock, don't take it off. If you have a common run-of-the-mill gun, and want to customize it, go ahead by all means. You're the one shooting it, make it what you want. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Way I look at it, if you're taking your Mosin hunting, using a synth stock could let the original stay at home and undamaged.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Is it just me, or is that Richards website kinda hard to use?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
A buddy of mine dressed his 38 in a synthetic Monte Carlo stock he picked up at J&G Sales in Prescott.

He likes it.

I believe in keeping mil surps and old guns in original condition but dropping it in a synthetic stock, with no permanent modifications to the gun, is a good way to go.

The reason my buddy did it, primarily, is he couldn't find a suitable recoil pad to put on the wooden stock and the synthetic one had one built in. He has moderate arthritis in his shoulders and spine so any recoil reduction is a must for him.
Tell him to buy a Past Magnum recoil pad. Amazing. I can shoot 100 rounds without shoulder separation.

Those Ruskies were some rugged dudes.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts