Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all newbies that are interested in knowing more I would sugest these sites
First I recommend anyone interested in collecting these fine old guns to get a FFL 03
A good source of info on this can be found here.
http://www.cruffler.com/becomingcruffler.html

A site with a little back ground into Mosin Nagants can be found at this web site
Collecting and Shooting the Mosin-Nagant 1891/30 - HISTORY

For more detailed information as to types , and discriptions, and how to break a rifle down , markings, and a whole lot more check this web site.
7.62x54r.net
These are just 3 of many sites with info on there fine rifles.
there are also forums on this rifle and others like my favorite G&G
Forums are to numerous to list so I wont list them here
enjoy there fine rifles they have a lot of history behind them!!
Marion

·
Registered
286 Posts
First Mosin Nagant

Went to a local gun shop this morning, looking for a Russian SKS, which they didn't have. Seen :bigeyes: a Russian Mosin Nagant 7.62X54. I know nothing about these rifles just the name. Swapped a pistol scope, rings and mount (had no use for them anymore). From the markings on the rifle it's a Izhevsk (Soviet Union), behind the rear sights it's stamped 1937. Stocks a little rough, no major dents or scratches, finish is off in a few places, 48 1/2" long. Like I said I know nothing about them, like where is the safety. I gave $20.00 difference for it. Did I do OK or did I get took?:feedback:

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Went to a local gun shop this morning, looking for a Russian SKS, which they didn't have. Seen :bigeyes: a Russian Mosin Nagant 7.62X54. I know nothing about these rifles just the name. Swapped a pistol scope, rings and mount (had no use for them anymore). From the markings on the rifle it's a Izhevsk (Soviet Union), behind the rear sights it's stamped 1937. Stocks a little rough, no major dents or scratches, finish is off in a few places, 48 1/2" long. Like I said I know nothing about them, like where is the safety. I gave $20.00 difference for it. Did I do OK or did I get took?:feedback:
Depends on the brand of pistol scope.

What you describe sounds like a 91/30. Great rifles. Of the Russian rifles (not finns) I like them the best. These rifles sell in the range of 60 to 100 bucks from distributors and a little higher in gun shops.

The safety is engaged by pulling back on the cocking piece and rotating counterclockwise 1/4 of a turn.

Be very careful with that thing. The cosmolene is addictive and Mosins tend to reproduce in your gun safe quickly.

Welcome to the Mosinitis club!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Went to a local gun shop this morning, looking for a Russian SKS, which they didn't have. Seen a Russian Mosin Nagant 7.62X54. I know nothing about these rifles just the name. Swapped a pistol scope, rings and mount (had no use for them anymore). From the markings on the rifle it's a Izhevsk (Soviet Union), behind the rear sights it's stamped 1937. Stocks a little rough, no major dents or scratches, finish is off in a few places, 48 1/2" long. Like I said I know nothing about them, like where is the safety. I gave $20.00 difference for it. Did I do OK or did I get took?

How ironic.... you probably could have used that pistol scope on the mosin. hehe :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just a question - just bought a 91/30 myself - with bayonet darn near as tall as I am. How does one cycle the bolt without having to fire it? Needless to say, haven't put any rounds in it yet because I don't want to shoot something - the wife would not be amused. Don't want to go to the rifle club I JUST joined and not know how to de-cock this beast.
Can't wait to play with my commie rifle

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
How can you shoot something if you have not put rounds in it?

To decock, lift the bolt handle to verticle. Pull the trigger and keep it depressed. Lower the bolt handle. It is now decocked.

Also, if you have rounds in it and want to unload. Simply release the floor plate and drop the magazine follower out. The rounds will drop out as well.

Oh, BTW, pull back on the cocking piece rotate it counterclockwise 1/4 of a turn. It is now on safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks - I wanted to actually put rounds in it (and get them out) without accidentally killing the clock radio. Can't wait to get out and play. The last I shot was a mini-14, which weapon being what the Illinois DOC has in the prison towers. It should be fun. Thanks again - I'll have more questions I am sure, and a report from the rifle club.

Always fear a woman with an agenda and a coward with a mean streak.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks - I wanted to actually put rounds in it (and get them out) without accidentally killing the clock radio. Can't wait to get out and play. The last I shot was a mini-14, which weapon being what the Illinois DOC has in the prison towers. It should be fun. Thanks again - I'll have more questions I am sure, and a report from the rifle club.

Always fear a woman with an agenda and a coward with a mean streak.
welcome and just want to tell you I am probably the only other guy here that ever even heard of Galva,:) LOL I use to live in quad cities

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I shot my wifes washing machine with a CETME one night , she took the keys to the gun cabinet for two weeks!!!!
:smileeek::twak: that is a no no!! but funny LOL
did it kill it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
mossin head spacing

I got a question on how to change the head spacing on these old rifles.
My mossin m44 is hard to fully lock into position with a round. Before anyone tells me to clean it thoroughly let me say that i have. Many many times. I am wondering if this is a relatively easy thing for a gunsmith to do or is it not worth even trying to do. and if it is worth doing whats a average price range for such work?

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My mossin m44 is hard to fully lock into position with a round. Before anyone tells me to clean it thoroughly let me say that i have. Many many times. I am wondering if this is a relatively easy thing for a gunsmith to do or is it not worth even trying to do. and if it is worth doing whats a average price range for such work?
I have never seen a mosin with bad head space!! the only thing you can change as far as I know is the bolt >> I suggest you post this in the forum and get some answers. I will post it for you then you can check it yourself:)

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
It is pretty easy job for a KNowledgable gunsmith...One that knows Mosins...
I charge 20 Bucks , But I work cheaper than Most Gunsmiths , because I am No Longer doing it for a living...You will have to get a quote from Your local gunsmith...It takes me 15 to 30 minutes tops to do the fitting...
Rich

·
Registered
234 Posts
The only thing that I dont like so much about my mosin is after I fire it it is hard to pull the bolt up again, and before I fire it the bolt moves around way too easily.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Visiting my brother now in another state, he tried to get the Gander Mountain Manager to come down on their MN 44 prices. Just days ago they raised them from an 'intro price' of $99 to $150.
The Manager only came down to $130 and after he disappeared I then told my brother "Nope".

I guess big store are boneheaded, and feel that keeping only 4 out of 7 rifles of a given type on display will make customers conclude that they could sell out soon, assuming that local guys don't research prices on the Internet?

There are some here and there, listing in smaller stores for $99 up to $135 or so. To avoid the FFL charge of another $35 (to ship a faraway gun to a somewhat local shop) is my goal on this trip. Will see two more tomorrow.
What kind of MN wood looks naturally yellow? Have just seen my third or fourth.
Happy "hunting" (searching), guys/gals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
stuck bolt

i have just bought mosin nagant and i fired 15 times and now the bolt is stuck shut. and it will knoe open. can anyone help me.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts