Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone
well iv been thinking for sometime now to buy one of these amazing rifles.
i have been doing some research for dealers that sell 91/30s and i found 3 of them in ontario (wher i live)
Collector's Source - Rifles Accuracy Plus - Peterborough Firearms
Elwood Epps Sporting Goods Military Rifles page

These are the three dealers that sell that. Problem is that prices vary from 190 to 300 Canadian dollars.
And it seems each rifle has different properties..some say rebuilt some say refurbished and some seem to be originals from WW1 or 2
If someone could help me by going through those 3 site and pointing out which is the better deal that would be great.
something that cought my eye was one site 3 with number UG12758
thanks for all!

·
Registered
34 Posts
On the first site, the hex receiver MN 91/30 has a representative photo of 1923 Tula rifle. If the bore is excellent, the price is decent. On site three, I'd go for the hex receivers too depending on the bore conditions.
The first thing I looked at is the bore. Mint or like new is on top of the list. About the grading "Very Good" I don't know if they are referring to th finish and appearance or the mechanical condition. So it is hard to go by that description alone without actually seeing and holding the item. As you can see in site 3, some 91/30 with "GOOD" grade have higher price than some with Very Good grade. UG14646 has hex receiver, laminate stock and VG grade. I'd like to see the bore condition of that.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
This is exactly why I check on their return policy. I have begun to buy directly from local dealers as I can inspect them before purchasing, and I feel it is worth the additional mark up!

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,322 Posts
Fun rifles...I have a 91/30 all number stamped matching (even the bayo) and shoot Czech Silvertip and Czech practice ammo.

Of course once you get that you need an M44 (got two...hardwood and laminated)

And an M38 (Got one...in true M38 stock)

All my Mosins are stamped number matching...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the first site, the hex receiver MN 91/30 has a representative photo of 1923 Tula rifle. If the bore is excellent, the price is decent. On site three, I'd go for the hex receivers too depending on the bore conditions.
The first thing I looked at is the bore. Mint or like new is on top of the list. About the grading "Very Good" I don't know if they are referring to th finish and appearance or the mechanical condition. So it is hard to go by that description alone without actually seeing and holding the item. As you can see in site 3, some 91/30 with "GOOD" grade have higher price than some with Very Good grade. UG14646 has hex receiver, laminate stock and VG grade. I'd like to see the bore condition of that.

ok thanks for the help...so whatever i do...i buy hex receiver...
now 2 more questions:
whats the difference between hex receivers and round receivers? i was reading about it and it said that round receivers were made to save money but it didnt actually say what the difference was. im guessing hex receivers are better.
and also... if i hold an MN in my hand...and i see the bore...what do i look for if its good or not...rust..the spinning pattern? so how do i tell if the bore its in good condition?

thanks for all!

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Hex's are no better. In some models they ar more rare. They are easier to drill and tap. Check bore for pitting, dark blemishes, or worn smooth grooves (your spinning pattern). The dark areas can sometimes be scrubbed.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
The hex receivers are a bit more desirable and they just look better IMO. Basically, the hex receiver 91\30's are just built on the oldest of actions, usually from the late 1800's up to the mid "teens". My 1943 SAKO M-39 has a 1915 hex receiver.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts