Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, the title says alot but doesnt paint the whole picture.

For years now I have been the proud owner of a Mosin Nagant M91/30. It is a hex receiver and Tula Mfg but other than that nothing too special.

The rifle mostly sits in my safe and isnt shot very often. this is due to a few reasons, I dont have alot of ammo for it, need more, but also its just idk cumbersome? the thing is freaking huge, it weighs a ton, idk i just dont shoot it much.

Here lately I have been in need of and wanting some sort of high power compact rifle for taking into the mountains camping. primary useage would be protection from critters. I have my ar but that gun is kinda my baby and i dont like beating it around like that. it would be better for 2 legged critters but thats not really the concern as much as bear and wolves, mountain lions etc..

so anyways, after much research and debate, I decided to embark upon a little project. Now, I know that the mosin isnt the best choice for a " bear gun" as that would likely be something semi auto or lever action for faster follow up shots. However it's hard to deny its capability with proper shot placement. Right now I cant afford a more practical gun for this application.

The goal with this project is to keep the gun as close to original as possible, just shorter, essentially im making my own m38. the stock 91/30 barrel is ~28.57", by removing 8.5" of the forward section of the barrel I will be left with a 20.5" barrel, approx. this will give a much handier rifle while still generating decent velocities and maintaining the primary benefit of this rifle, which is the energy produced by its projectile. the second being accuracy. maintaining the iron sights is ideal.

So i did it. I cut the barrel, used some " custom" techniques to reface and crown the barrel, and did alittle work on the stock. In order to relocate the front sight globe i used a Front sight base adapter from BrassStacker.com. It works really well so far. I even cut down the cleaning rod to fit the shorter profile of the barrel and stock. one of the hardest parts and maybe the only part Im not really 100% happy with is the relocation of the forward barrel band. I had to inlet the stock to accomodate the retainer spring. doing this using just a chisel, a knife, and a tool made out of a small flat head ground to a sharp edge with a grinder. I ordered a new rear barrel band to replace the front one as the front one no longer fit. the barrel and stock taper moving towards the muzzle, so the front barrel band is smaller than the rear.

also getting the front sight globe out of the front sight base was difficult but persistence and a large hammer prevailed.

all in all Im happy with the final product, although I may still get some stain to blend the fresh wood in alittle bit. I cant wait to shoot it, I think that my crown/ facing job worked well but truth will come when I shoot it hopefully in the next week or two. While I feel that I kept the rifle(now carbine?) close to its original form I realize that some folks will frown upon my endeavor, but this is my rifle. I'm not a collector and have firearms because they serve a purpose to me, and this project made this firearm better suited for my needs. So, please dont flame me too bad!

https://brassstacker.com/mosin-nagant/Mosin-Nagant-9130-Front-Sight-Adapter-MN-FSAR.html

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Brassstacker has done some extensive testing and excellent reporting on shortening the length of your barrel----it's on their web page in the lower right hand corner, and it's a free download.
olcop

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Olcop thanks for that tip. Coincidentally I have already read that report, seemed to me it was done as a school report, not a company R&D, either way, it did provide some good data points and is / was part of the reason I went with 20"(apprx). I also figured that the russians had a reason they went to 20", im sure they did some testing too right?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
f you can have ammo delivered by mail where you live, or have an Academy sporting goods store nearby, their Monarch brand ammo is about the cheapest you can find for Mosin's and all of mine shoot it better than the Tulammo.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
f you can have ammo delivered by mail where you live, or have an Academy sporting goods store nearby, their Monarch brand ammo is about the cheapest you can find for Mosin's and all of mine shoot it better than the Tulammo.
thanks for the tip, I used to love academy when lived in FL but we dont have it here in CO. and i hate buying ammo online because shipping costs as much as a dang box of ammo!

I may bite the bullet so to say and order a few boxes online. I think i want some silver bear 203 gr SP. I dont like the brown bear due to the lacquered cases and I would like some S&B 180 gr SP but they are little pricier compared to the silver bear.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
thanks for the tip, I used to love academy when lived in FL but we dont have it here in CO. and i hate buying ammo online because shipping costs as much as a dang box of ammo!

I may bite the bullet so to say and order a few boxes online. I think i want some silver bear 203 gr SP. I dont like the brown bear due to the lacquered cases and I would like some S&B 180 gr SP but they are little pricier compared to the silver bear.
Academy ships all orders over $25 free shipping, just FYI

Reactions: MosinRuger

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Yep, we don't have any Academy stores here locally but I order a lot of Monarch ammo from Academy Sports online and the reason it's so good is because it's all privy partisan / PPU and its head stamped as such .

I quit ordering ammo from a lot of places online because of that very reason, especially from Midway. I got tired of being raped by them on their outrageous shipping rates so I quit ordering ammo from them all together. I will let you in on a little secret though. If you order $35 or more from Academy Sports Online it ships for free with FedEx shipping anywhere in the continental US. I also like to order a crapload of ammo from outdoor Limited. Not only are they generally as cheap if not cheaper than Academy Sports they have a $13 flat rate shipping no matter how much you order. I recently ordered $250 in ammo and got it delivered to my door for $13. Try and find that kind of a deal anywhere else :) ...

Reactions: MosinRuger

·
Registered
36,568 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Yep, we don't have any Academy stores here locally but I order a lot of Monarch ammo from Academy Sports online and the reason it's so good is because it's all privy partisan / PPU and its head stamped as such .

I quit ordering ammo from a lot of places online because of that very reason, especially from Midway. I got tired of being raped by them on their outrageous shipping rates so I quit ordering ammo from them all together. I will let you in on a little secret though. If you order $35 or more from Academy Sports Online it ships for free with FedEx shipping anywhere in the continental US. I also like to order a crapload of ammo from outdoor Limited. Not only are they generally as cheap if not cheaper than Academy Sports they have a $13 flat rate shipping no matter how much you order. I recently ordered $250 in ammo and got it delivered to my door for $13. Try and find that kind of a deal anywhere else :) ...
The brass cased stuff is PPU, the steel is Brown Bear from what I've seen.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered a muzzle crown tool, .30 cal bore guide and a .79 degree crown angle.

also I bought 2 boxes of the s&b 180 gr SP. they grouped 2" at 50 yrds but about 6" high and right. I will adjust the sight left and use the crowning tool and see how well it groups from there.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I ordered a muzzle crown tool, .30 cal bore guide and a .79 degree crown angle.

also I bought 2 boxes of the s&b 180 gr SP. they grouped 2" at 50 yrds but about 6" high and right. I will adjust the sight left and use the crowning tool and see how well it groups from there.
If you got a 2" group I wouldn't crown it, maybe a slight polish with a brass stove bolt and some Mother's polish.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input but its already ordered. I feel like it can be improved and I want to do the best job i can on this so its not "bubba'd"...
also it shot about a 6" group with milsurp, it always did better than that before. Im ok with the crown I gave it considering that i totally improvised the tools, but i feel it can be better with a properly crowned muzzle. Maybe then I wont have to adjust the sights at all.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,197 Posts

Shooting 203 grain SP out of an M38 length Mosin (I would not be half as annoyed if you had done this to a wartime production Izhevsk round receiver 91/30 -- what in the HELL were you thinking, to do this to a Tula hex?) is guaranteed to turn your homebuilt bear gun into a shoulder-smasher. I strongly urge you to get yourself one of the aftermarket hard rubber buttpads and replace the buttplate with it. Your shoulder will thank you.

You also might want to think about adding a muzzle brake to it. It will make your Mosin even louder than a .50 BMG, but it will keep the felt recoil down to something you can live with.

https://www.gunandgame.com/threads/91-30-muzzle-brake-range-report.122409/

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
an aftermarket stock really tames the recoil of a Mosin. when I was shooting my M-38 I put it in an ATI plastic stock and it made all the difference in the World. I can't figure why the Ruskies designed such un comfortable stock for their rifles.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Thanks for the input but its already ordered. I feel like it can be improved and I want to do the best job i can on this so its not "bubba'd"...
also it shot about a 6" group with milsurp, it always did better than that before. Im ok with the crown I gave it considering that i totally improvised the tools, but i feel it can be better with a properly crowned muzzle. Maybe then I wont have to adjust the sights at all.
Be interesting if you can get any better grouping from commercial ammo. Handloading is really about the best way to get any kind of accuracy to speak of, slugging the barrel would be my first step towards that.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Be interesting if you can get any better grouping from commercial ammo. Handloading is really about the best way to get any kind of accuracy to speak of, slugging the barrel would be my first step towards that.
Yet people do not slug their barrel, then complain about their accuracy when they reload with .308" bullets. .308" is not good when your bore is .311" or more.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
an aftermarket stock really tames the recoil of a Mosin. when I was shooting my M-38 I put it in an ATI plastic stock and it made all the difference in the World. I can't figure why the Ruskies designed such un comfortable stock for their rifles.
Im pretty sure the steel buttplate was for bashing nazi heads in.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts