Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I need you Mosin faithfuls to help me decide if a Nagant revolver, in 7.62 and not the .32 conversion ( I think that's what I read they've been converted to?). Anyhow, I can get one from a local dealer for $99 bucks + tax. I know they can be had for cheaper, but by the time I add the shipping and transfer fee, I'm about over the $99 bucks + tax which by the way totals $105.44.

So I ask you all, is it too much? The appear to be in good condition.

Thanks in advance for any and all help..

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
DOes it come with the holster cleaning rod and extras?

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I believe he said it does. I know the holsters are part of it anyhow. Think he also said cleaning kit... Yea, he did. lol

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Sounds about like the current going price. I paid $25 for mine in 2002. You can shoot
.32 S&W .32 H&R Magnum​

out of the 7.62 cylinder without the .32 cylinder.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is that what the deal is capt.? I saw something on here about it. Thought they were reworked to shoot the .32 S&W or .32 H&R Magnum. Is the 7.62 available though? And if so, 7.62 X what?

Oh and thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
7.62x38R you can get that but its a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I just saw than YOUCH!. Not sure if I'm going to get me one or not. Nice little collectible. Have to think about it then when I go back in if and when he got me my price on the Ruger New model Blackhawk blued in .45LC ,rubber grip, single shot (obviously) and the 5 1/2" barrel. Still thinking about that one also. lol Also considering a Ruger 10/22 he's got for $220. Walnut stock, drilled and tapped for scope. 18/18 1/2" barrel. Not about to go to Walmart even though it's probably be a tad bit cheaper.

So many things out there I like. I want. I need. I need. I want. I like lol We shall see.
Thanks for the info though Capt. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I'm still waiting for them to make a revolver version of the 7mm-08 pistol....not really wanting it to use...alot. just want one!!!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,358 Posts
Yes, you can, Shuak; but there are drawbacks. Firing .32 S&W instead of 7.62x38R is not like firing .38 Special out of a pistol chambered for .357 Magnum, or .44 Special out of a .44 Magnum. Although they fit in the cylinder, .32 S&W rounds don't seal properly at the mouth of the chamber. There is a tiny gap at the forcing cone that costs your cartridge 75 fps in velocity and allows the escape of propellant gases and unburned powder. This in turn means a longer, messier cleaning job after each firing session because you have to pay extra attention to the forcing cone and the forward end of the cylinder.

Bottom line: the plus to shooting .32 S&W instead of 7.62 Nagant is easier ammo availability and lower cost. The minus to shooting .32 S&W instead of 7.62 Nagant is the loss of velocity and the greater mess requiring more thorough and longer cleaning. It's your call as to whether it's worth it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well when I clean my guns I really clean my guns good so that wouldn't be a problem. Cheaper easier to find ammo is a plus and I'm not too worried about loss of fps since I wouldn't be killing anything with it. Except targets. and cans and junk and whatever else is out at the "range"...

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,313 Posts
GM, none of the imported Nagants have been 'converted' in any way.
The .32ACP cyclinder is bought separately, if you want it. However, many revolvers don't work with them as a 'drop-in' - they often require fitting.
Ammo for the gun is available, and is also so easy to reload for.
No point in wasting money on the .32ACP cylinder or using undersized mismatched ammo.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
I have also heard the .32ACP drop in cylinder doesnt seal very well at the forcing cone. So even if you do spend the money to get it you still have to do the extra cleaning.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I remember the guy telling, the owner of this gun shop that is, that the cylinders on these pistols shift forward and seal the gases. Is that true? I didn't take a close look at it, just looked at it through the case and asked how many he had.

And knowing this, about the improper sealing with .32 ammo, is it worth it then? I mean I know it's a Nagant revolver and they collectibles in their own right, but I'm not sure I want to deal with the ammo thing. Maybe saving the funds for the rifle might be better? Have to think about this one.

There's just so much out there I'd like to get either before they're gone or before some politician says I can't.

One other thing, I take it you can't convert the rifle ammo into handgun ammo then. I mean I know the rifle ammo is bottle necked, but what about trimming/cutting them down? Or would the neck still interfere? In looking at images of the 7.62X38R ammo, it looks as if it is or has a little neck to it. Anyone know if that would work, resizing the 7.62X39 cases that is?

·
Premium Member
3,727 Posts
yes the cylinder moves forward makes it quite unique.
and i dont know aboutthe ammo but i was acualy wanding the same thing like 3 days ago, so lets hope somone tells us the answer.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
yes the cylinder moves forward makes it quite unique.
and i dont know aboutthe ammo but i was acualy wanding the same thing like 3 days ago, so lets hope somone tells us the answer.
First of all the correct designation is 7.62x38N .. at least all the ammo being sold is marked as such and yes it is a rimmed cartrage.. Even Wikipedia calls it a R cartrage ..
7.62x38mmR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sometime back NRA joe posted info on wolf ammo .
http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/ammunition-reports/31764-email-wolf-ammo-7-62x38r.html

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,313 Posts
GM, don't sweat the 'sealing' thing. NO ammo seals properly except the original Russian ammo. Even the commercially available brass (Starline?) made for it is a wee bit short and will not seal. Not a big deal. None of our other revolvers seal the gasses.
My buddy reloads with .32-20 brass, and it'll last a long time with the Nagant's low pressure loads. Makes a great plinking load!

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Well the 7.62 Nagant Hotshot ammo isn't so bad at about 22 bucks a box, and is supposed to be a lot more peppy than the overpriced Fiocchi stuff. And does do the gas seal. I heard even the surplus Russian rounds that can still be found once in a while was not the most powerful load. And since the Russian was corrosively Berdan primed, forget about reloading it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts