Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
This isn't notmal with most M/N's that I have ever seen. Make sure that you are not flinching of bucking the shot. At 100 yards you will be lucky to get it on target if you happen to buck a round.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I very seriously doubt you bent the barrel by dropping it. As far as shooting high it depends on what range you're shooting and what range it's sighted for. If it's sighted at 200-300 yds. and you're shooting at 50-100 yeah it's going to shoot high.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
sum1 how high is it shooting ? Mine doesn't shoot right where it's supposed to (few inches high & a little to the left) but I don't care since I get decent groups and can compensate for it. Maybe I'll mess with the sights one of these days - there's an article on surplusrifle.com on adjusting the front sight.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,027 Posts
My long-barreled M91, M91/30 and Finn M39 all shoot high at 100 yards - the minimum sight setting is 200 yards, IIRC.
Only my M44 Carbine shoots dead-on at 100 yards.
Considering I get the same thing with my Mausers, I take it as standard for most milsurps.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm, i thought the minimum sight adjustment was 100 yards...

i got the nagant the beginning of this year and only shot it a few times at a time due to the bolt locking problem, the rust in the reciever, and the dropped-it-on-a-bar-of-rolled-steel incident. but i think i fixed everything when i gave the russian war horse a bath mixed with ballistol, and polished the chamber. when i did shoot it, i shot across a large pond onto an old shirt laying on a hill, not sure about the distance but it looked about a hundred yards out. the dirt seemed to kick up right to the point of aim, IIRC. will be shooting it again real soon.

the reason i'm still a little edgy about dropping it is because of the other thread about the m44 with the warped barrel, but i'm just being paranoid.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I just checked my rifles & BD is right the min on the 91/30 is 200yd and on the m44 is 100yd. Don't worry about it - you can't bend the barrel so easily. They did much worse things to it.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
sum1_special said:
I haven't shot the ol' rifle ever since i dropped it a few months ago but now i not only have to worry about a bent barrel...
Don't worry about the barrel. It won't bend short of being run over with a tank.

sum1_special said:
...but it shooting high, too? i have the 91/30, does every mosin do this? :insane:
My own 91/30 shoots about 3 inches low at 100 yds. I set the sight for "200" at 100 yds and she is there. The best way to find out where your rifle prints (believe it or not) is to take her out and shoot her. I have also found a marked improvement in accuracy since I glass-bedded mine.

My 91/30 (1925) has a minimum setting of 100 meters on the rear sight.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yes. It is a process by which the action and stock is "bedded" with an epoxy fibreglass resin. It ensures consistant "no-spacing" between the stock and barrel, and reduces the play on the recoil-lug, thus improved accuracy.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,027 Posts
High or low can be affected by the ammo too. Many nations use a different loading resulting in different velocities and using different bullet weights. If your sights are regulated for one load, and you use something quite different, it'll print off center.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Big Dog said:
High or low can be affected by the ammo too. Many nations use a different loading resulting in different velocities and using different bullet weights. If your sights are regulated for one load, and you use something quite different, it'll print off center.
That is quite true. Find the load that you/your rifle likes best and then fine-tune it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts