close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mosin-Nagants #1

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Cranky-Kraut, Apr 29, 2002.

1. I just thought it was cool to notice that of all the firearms forums under Military Firearms......the M1 Garand has the most threads but Mosin-Nagants are second!!

We are simply too cool! Mosins rule!

With all of those fancy, high-dollar guns out there (I couldnt care less what Colt, Remington, Winchester or Ruger have in their newest catalog), the Mosin-Nagant has clearly won a place in many peoples hearts and made shooting/collecting into a fun and affordable hobby to many people who might otherwise never have been able to get into the sport.

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I agree. Now, if the big ammo makers would make some good reloadable and accurate ammo for us, I'd be very happy. Seems logical with the rifles being so popular.

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

bigdog i agree about the ammo situation, the stuff winchester is selling is from S&B. ok how much would you pay for 20 rnds of 100% american made ammo???

4. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

You know I got to admit its kida strange to think that so many of us now own the weapons that our "former" enemy once kept ready for use aginst us....(Mosans,AKs SKS, CZ ect).... I bet Mr. Mosan and Mr. Nagant would never have been able to fore see the day when their rifle would be used by free people for plinking...
    I think a lot of the popularity is the price/quality makes them attractive... I mean I look at a nice Weatherby and go WOW but the reality is that I can not justafy in my mind spending a few grand on a rifle to shoot soda cans and tarets with. However, I can blow $100 or less (usaly $50) for a Mosan without thinking about it.. Now before someoen jumps me yes a Weatherby is a lot nice (no Cosmolin) rifle than a Mosan..but for plinking (and I guess hunting) the mosan is a darn good rifle...
    The ammo people will come around....once they wake up and smell the proffits....their might be a liability concern...since he rifles are all 50+ yrs old and conditions unknown...ammo people dont want too get sued..

5. TERRY8mm

TERRY8mm G&G Newbie

:D HEY GUYS!
    a few weeks ago, we on some other boards, got on a call and email campaign to remington.
    They actually replied to a couple of guys,by phone!!!!
    So, look em up and call or email them, the more requests they get the more they will try to beat the competition.

BTW, the new wolf s.p stuff shoots pretty good, and the price is not bad. $6.50 from CENTERFIRE SYSTEMS.
    The S&B shoots great, but has "thin" primers,pierced 2 in one box. No biggie! didn't even notice till I picked up the brass.

6. vodkazombie

vodkazombie G&G Newbie

If anyone has reloaded the S&B brass, you'll notice that seating a new primer can be a chore. No one I know carries the INDEP portuguese stuff, which really isn't that good anyway. I would LOVE remington to start loading the core-lokt for the Mosin! Remington brass is excellent stuff, so far I've gotten great results with their .303 Brit.

I will drop an e-mail to Remington about this.. maybe we should all start a campaign to get them off their butts and start loading 7.62x54R!!

7. vodkazombie you are right about seating the primers in the s&b brass. what load are you using? for my 91/30 it seems to like a load that "jarcp" passed on 174g BTHP .311 over 40.5 varget with a CCI 200 primer. My M44 likes 165gr 46.7 h4350 w/200 cci primer.

8. Id like to thank Terry8mm for pointing out the fact that if you want NEW ammo, Wolf does produce a good alternative to the milsurp and Im sure that no American producer will ever be able to match their prices. That MAY be precisely why none of them have bothered trying....?

Personally I use & prefer Wolf 7.62x39 for my AK47 and I have found that both Wolf as well as Sellier & Belot both work very well with my Makarov 9mm pistol however....for my Mosin-Nagants I still swear by the Russian copper-washed milsup ammo.
    Its a steal at $40-$60 a can and since I always fully clean my guns after each use I am not concerned about corrosive vs non-corrosive ammo.

As for reloading. I have never reloaded. Could it really be any cheaper than $50 for 440 rounds of milsurp?

9. TERRY8mm

TERRY8mm G&G Newbie

I agree, the milsurp is good, if you can find it.
    My main focus is to be able to hunt with every gun I own so, I have to have "true" s.p or h.p. ammo. So far all my mosins group well with s&b and wolf s.p.'s, just about an inch and a half apart for the two types.

For all my " fun " long range shooting and base sight ins, I use the clear coated steel case, WHEN I CAN FIND IT!!!!

For something a little different, pull some surplus bullets,dispose of the powder, fill the case with pyrodex or FFFF G black powder and have smoke with your BANG!!

BTW, 2 of my old hex receivers have black powder "proof" marks on the bottom!

10. jarcp

jarcp G&G Newbie

Allen, I'm glad to hear that load combo worked for ya.

11. Cranky-Kraut there is no way that reloading is cheaper than the surpluss ammo. But the i like to reload and reloading gives you better accuracy, and i need every bit of help with my shooting.
    besides there is just something about knowing that each and every round that you fire you have paid attention to every detail of the process.

:)

12. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I do not reload, but I can appreciate craftsmanship wherever it may lie.