Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to All,
I have always spelled the rifle "Mosin", and most sources seem to agree. But I was reviewing several back issues of "SURPLUS FIREARMS" magazine, and I found 2 different articles that spelled it "Moisin". Is one correct? Or is this a case of varying transliterations from the Cyrillic alphabet? Just curious. Thanks in advance for your time.
Regards, Sgt. Q
<o>

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
I did a test on Auction Arms punching in the word "Moison." Zero hits were found. Then I wrote in to search for "Mosin" and 188 listings showed up.

Therefore, I'd go with the spelling as "Mosin."

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think it has something to do with pronunciation as well...a few folks may get confused...usually the ones that took ritalin for a few years :D

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I think it has something to do with pronunciation as well...
That's probably got something to do with it. I've seen many reputable places and people refer to it as a "Mo-seen" "Na-gan" with the 't' silent. Though with the way you've spelled it "moisin", I would pronounce it "Moy-zin", like Boysenberry. Hey... there ya go, it's a Moisinberry, the fruit from Russia that hardcore Russian snipers survived off because it was the only fruit that would grow in the harsh Russian winters. *snicker* :lmao:

:drive:

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Actually, geographics hasn't as much to do with pronounciation as much as how much I have had to drink....:09:

This guide gives the pronunciation of the most common Russian words encountered by Mosin Maniacs. Its purpose is not to give technically correct linguistic transliterations, but to indicate how the words are pronounced in colloquial Russian. Just pronounce the phonetic renditions as though you were reading English.
Thanks
T Lapin
The Man:
  • Sergei Ivanovich Mosin: "seer-GAY ee-VAHN-itch MO-seen"
The Arsenals:
  • Izhevsk: "ee-ZHYEVSK" (“zh” sounds like the “s” in “measure”)
  • Sestroryetsk: "syiss-trah-RYEHTSK"
  • Tula: "TOOL-ah"
The Arsenals’ Adjectives
  • Izhevskii: "ee-ZHYEVS-k’yee"
  • Sestroryetskii: " syiss-trah-RYEHTS-k’yee "
  • Tulskii: " TOOL-sk’yee "
General Vocabulary
  • arsenal: oruzhenii zavod "ah-roo-ZHYEN-nee zah-VAWT"
  • carbine: karabin "kah-rah-BYEEN"
  • model: obrazets "ah-brah-ZYETZ"
  • rifle: vintovka "v’yeen-TOFF-kah"
  • sniper: snayperskaya "snigh-PYEHR-skah-yah" (This is the feminine form of the adjective; I included it this way because we almost always see it only in the context of snayperskaya vintovka, “sniper rifle”).
Honorable Mention
  • Nagant: Russians pronounce this “nah-GAHN”, but they do not hyphenate it with “Mosin”.
Ouch!! After waller'in then words aroun...I need another drink...:34:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I dont recall 1 single site or any articles i have read spelling it any way except MOSIN its even spelled that way on wikipedia

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
I've seen that spelling a couple of times in old magazines, from back before they became common here.

I've always wondered why people outside of Russia tack on "Nagant." Yeah, I know the Russians blended the designs of the two guys, but...

I generally just refer to them as Mosins, period. It's easier, and anyone familiar with them understands me anyway.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have seen older articles with the Moisin spelling, but now it's Mosin. I think it has more to do with transliteration from Cyrillic to Roman alphabet.

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
My book..."Small arms of the World" list it as MOSIN- Nagant, pronounced
Mo-seen Nah-Gone...
Rich

That's exactly how I was informed, also..

Mo-seen

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
On a day when it hits targets dead on it's called Maw Seen
On a day when it misses everything it's called Son of a Mo beetch Maw Sin

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
My grandpa calls mine "that loud Russian son of a #$#^ with the bayonet!"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts