Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a sardine can of 440 rds of polish 7.62x54r ammo. It is '80's production, copper washed, steel cased ammunition. About 1 out of every ten is hard to eject from chamber, and when I pull it out, the neck of the cartrige is split, some worse than others.
Is this a manufacturing defect of the ammo or a problem with the rifle?
Is it anything to worry about?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
if other ammo shots just fine out of it well you know the rest

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
My first thought would be to pick up 20 or 30 rounds of Silver/Brown Bear ammo and see what happens. For some reason my gut tells me it's ammo

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,693 Posts
Occasionally, we find batches of ammo that have brittle cases. Turkish 8mm Mauser sometimes does this, Indian 7.62X51 and I have seen it with some steel-cased 7.62X54R. A split in the case mouth isn't usually critical, though it may mean less accuracy than we'd like.
One thing I would do is carefully check all the ammo - look for splits or cracks before firing. Discard any that show such faults.

I recently had a cracked case of factory Remington .357Magnum! Surprised me.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
There was a batch of Russian ammo dated 1989 that was pretty bad, I actually had a couple of instances where the bullet fell out of the case and dumped the whole powder charge in the mag. Luckily, the guys at Kieslers swapped that can for some 1988 ammo that is fine.

·
Registered
570 Posts
What's the exact year on it? Ive been shooting some '84 and '85 polish steel case copper washed stuff that has been a real joy to shoot with my 91/30.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts