Gun and Game Forum banner
41 - 60 of 164 Posts
I bought this as-is. just like I said before I did not even know what I have. Thanks for all the info though. I have not even fire this thing. LOL
Well welcome to the MN therapy group, and get your tail out there and have some fun with that thing.

From my memory that is a cut-down 91/30 with a new front blade sight (hard plastic). Should work great.

I have the best 2 Mosin's in my family! Opps! I'm the only one who ownes any!
BTW: GO JJ #48! (Sorry, but I work at Lowe's so I feel a need to root for him. That was until he got teammate Jr.:yuck: :hitwithrock::buttkick::throwup:

Aaaah...lutefisk! How I long for the OldCountry!
Cap'n- Are you crazy? LOL! I was made to eat lutefisk as a child. I can't even look it straight in the face now!

Mosin Shooter- Make Me! (ha-ha) You're just jealous!

Aaaah...lutefisk! How I long for the OldCountry!
Cap'n- Are you crazy? LOL! I was made to eat lutefisk as a child. I can't even look it straight in the face now!

Mosin Shooter- Make Me! (ha-ha) You're just jealous!

I take it Lutefisk is kinda like dried salted cod that has been buried, fermented in an enema bag for a month and served slightly chilled?

I love lutefisk when it is cooked right it comes out white flakey and solid. Trouble is most make it wrong and it comes out like this jelly blob and its nasty. I really love clube as well. You eat one of those potato dumplins and your full all week. But anyway I still have the best 2 Mosins. If you talk nice I might even show you them someday.

Discussion starter · #48 · (Edited)
Well, there is a gun show here in about 3 or so weeks (mid june) and I plan on taking a peek at the Mosins.

What should I look for again? Also, I am a Mosin newbie, so explain it to me in plain english, hehe some of your guys Mosin jargon confuses me.

I want something that I can shoot accurately say out to 500 yards and scope it. Nothing too expensive, either for optics, just basic get the job done so I can shoot at longer range targets for fun.

Thanks in advance!

I also just picked up a new digital camera so I can take pics of my new baby and show you guys!

The only Mosin I saw at the last gun show I went to and was interested in was an M38, but he wanted way too much an would not come down.

I

Discussion starter · #50 ·
Yeah, I think I want the M38. I know what they go for on gunbroker so I am willing to go up to the going price but the last time I went to the same gun show at the same place 6 months ago, they had tons and tons of old bolt action milsurp rifles, and I have to just bet that a lot of them were Mosins. I also know that if they don't sell any guns they are pretty much wasting their time and money at their booth.

I have never had a guy not go down at least bit in price for me.

Yeah, I think I want the M38. I know what they go for on gunbroker so I am willing to go up to the going price but the last time I went to the same gun show at the same place 6 months ago, they had tons and tons of old bolt action milsurp rifles, and I have to just bet that a lot of them were Mosins. I also know that if they don't sell any guns they are pretty much wasting their time and money at their booth.

I have never had a guy not go down at least bit in price for me.
I.O. has m 38's on sale
doubt anyone at the gun show is going to go lower than they want but you never know.. also its a plus to be able to hold it and look at it:kinky:

Discussion starter · #53 ·
I.O. has m 38's on sale
doubt anyone at the gun show is going to go lower than they want but you never know.. also its a plus to be able to hold it and look at it:kinky:
I've had pretty good luck at gun shows. I typically get them to drop the price $20 to $50 bucks, or have them toss in an extra magazine or what not. It just depends. I always bring cash, act very interested, am polite, and tell them calmly and nicely what my bottom price is. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't but they always come down a little bit.

With the exception of the guys that are FFL and just sell 10% above cost to begin with to make a few extra bucks. Emailed a guy near me who does that, and charges just above MSRP to make a few bucks out of his home. He just points me to the catalogues online and says drop off the cash and you get the gun in a few days. haven't got anything through him yet but seems like a nice guy in his emails.

I definitely don't like paying taxes, transfer fees, or any extra surcharge and just pay cash and go and get to hold the gun before I buy it, which is why I like to buy at gun shows.

What should I look for again? Also, I am a Mosin newbie, so explain it to me in plain english, hehe some of your guys Mosin jargon confuses me.

I want something that I can shoot accurately say out to 500 yards and scope it. Nothing too expensive, either for optics, just basic get the job done so I can shoot at longer range targets for fun.

Thanks in advance!
tlarkin, look for a Mosin nagant 91/30. They are much better for long distance than the carbine model M38s, M44s and 91/59s. As to the technical stuff:

1. Make sure there are no burrs on the bolt face (the part ar the front of the bolt with the little hole in the middle for the firing pin). Burr cause extraction problems and lead to 2x4 Bolt, a condition in which you have to beat the bolt handle with a 2x4 to make it work.

2. Take a bore light or a penlight, shine it up the chamber and look down the muzzle. You will be able to see the lands and grooves. The lands are the raised parts, that look like bars that twist the length of the barrel. The edges on the lands should be sharp. As these are what grab hold of the bullet and set it to spinning, you can see why sharp lands are important. You will be able to tell if the lands are sharp even if there's cosmoline in the barrel, whcih like as not there will be.

3. After fulfilling Task No. 2, look at the muzzle. Do the lands run all the way to the muzzle? If they don't and the last inch or so looks smooth like the inside of a shotgun barrel, the rifle has been counterbored. If the counterboring is an inch or less, don't worry about it. Mor than that, however, and you should think twice.

4. Test the bolt. Does it close and lock easily, or do you have to fight it? A bolt that's stiff isn't necessarily a deal-breaker, but it does mean you will need to detail-strip it and clean it thoroughly to get all the cosmoline out.

5. Look at the arsenal marks and serial numbers. Do the serial numbers on the receiver (the thing the bolt locks into) and on the bolt match? Look also on the magazine; there is sometimes a serial number there as well. Soviet arsenals often "force matched" bolts to rifles because many wartime bolts were made without serial numbers. It's not of much importance either way; but a rifle without a matching bolt should not command as high a price as one with matching numbers.

Look also at the year the rifle was produced. If you have a choice, a peacetime year (in the case of the Soviets and a 91/30, that means from 1924 to 1940, from the end of the Russian Civil War to the start of the Winter War with Finland). The peacetime rifles had more care taken in their production, and it shows in the machining and finishing.

Look for an arsenal mark. The two you are most likely to see are a triangle with an arrow in it (Izhvesk, aka "Izzy") and a star with an arrow in it (Tula). There is a school of thought that the Tula Mosins are more accurate, but I note my 1923 Izzy will shoot a five shot group at 50 yards with iron sights you can cover with a half-dollar all day long. There really isn't much to choose between them.

6. Look at the receiver. Is it hexagonal or round? The hex receivers are the mark of earlier-model rifles. The hex receivers are stronger than the round receiver Mosins. This may play in your evaluation or it may not.

7. Look at the stock. Are there any repairs to it? If there are, how noticable are the repairs? I am not talking about dings and dents here. I'm talking about places where new wood has been spliced into the original stock. It won't affect the shootability of the rifle, but you should be able to use that as a bargaining point to knock the price down a bit.

Well, that's enough for you to be going on with, tlarkin. Let us know how you make out at the gun show. Be prepared to spend between $100 and $150, and you should find a nice Mosin to bring home with you.

Cyrano is on the money for what your looking for 91x30 is 48 inches long and will def shoot out past 500 yrs scoped with right ammo .

41 - 60 of 164 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.