1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I've seen the scope mounts that this appears to be mounted to on some other websites and they appear to work alright. No personal experience with them, though. I'm looking at maybe getting a scope myself, since I can't see the target well enough at my range to shoot it properly.

Also, the write-up says that it has a lifetime warranty, so I wouldn't worry about the scope failing.

Here's something similar, by the way: Making the Surplus: S&K m44 Scope Mount and Rings

Edit: Check this out, also: Mosin Nagant Scopes, Mounts, Bipods, Muzzle Brakes !

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
The mount looks similar to the B-Square that is on my M-44 except it's a bit longer. For absolute stability, I would recommend the mount from Darrell's over at the Parrallax gunboards.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Hey .22Guy, thanks for pointing that out, as it looks like one of the best deals for that scope and mount combo. When I've got the cash to throw at it, I'm probably going to pick up that and a muzzle break, depending on if it will work on my 91/30 without shimming; I have a question out to a seller on eBay right now as to the inner diameter of the break to compare to my outer muzzle diameter. It's a straight-shooter with perfectly round holes at 25 yards, so no worries about yawing rounds impacting the installed break. :)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I use the scope mounts from Advanced Technology on 3 of my M91/30s. It is a good solid mount, and I have never had any problems with them.

I had mine installed by a competent gunsmith. Cutting the bolt handle and drilling and tapping is beyond my level of metal working skills.

The bolt handle replacement pieces looks pretty "iffy" but it is solid. I have fired 1,000s of rounds through these guns and nothing has ever loosened up.

I use a Simmons 6X24 50mm AO scope on mine. Makes it easy to see bullet holes even at 200 yards and beyond.

I got mine from Midway USA. I highly recomend this mount system.

Nick

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
IMHO, there are three things wrong with the ATI system: Cutting, Drilling, and Tapping.

I want the accuracy of a scope without permanently damaging a beautiful piece of history. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
570 Posts
If I was going to go with a scope on my Mosins I would go with the type that supports a long eye relief scope for pistols. ( they are generally referred to as the "scout mount" ) They generally just mount where the rear sight is, and when you are done with them you just remount the original sight, so you don't have to worry about making permanent modifications to your rifle.
Or you could just get really good with iron sights. Takes a bit of practice, but it is doable. :D

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
I have a scout mount on my first 91/30

If I was going to go with a scope on my Mosins I would go with the type that supports a long eye relief scope for pistols. ( they are generally referred to as the "scout mount" ) They generally just mount where the rear sight is, and when you are done with them you just remount the original sight, so you don't have to worry about making permanent modifications to your rifle.
Or you could just get really good with iron sights. Takes a bit of practice, but it is doable. :D
Once I got used to a scout mount and EER (extended eye range) scope), I loved it. Fast target acquisition, and I can still use stripper clips because the scope is forward out of the way. The rear sight is stashed in the box the mount came in, in case one of my descendants ever gets the urge to restore the rifle to original condition.

When I first installed it, the mount and scope kept moving, no matter how hard I tightened the set screws. I finally reinstalled the pin that had held the sight, and filed notches where the mount fits over it. It hasn't moved since.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The new 3rd Generation Mosin Nagant scout mount is available that will perform as well or better than any other mount being sold. Most mounts have two screws that screw into the mount through the sides of the sight base. This mount is threaded completely through and a one piece bolt is used to secure the mount to the rear sight base. The bolt is then locked in place with a lock nut. It is not going to loosen like the other mounts. See photos of this mount and available scope packages it comes with at:
Guns For Sale: ShootersExchange.com - Firearms Search Results

Attachments

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Good idea

The new 3rd Generation Mosin Nagant scout mount is available that will perform as well or better than any other mount being sold. Most mounts have two screws that screw into the mount through the sides of the sight base. This mount is threaded completely through and a one piece bolt is used to secure the mount to the rear sight base. The bolt is then locked in place with a lock nut. It is not going to loosen like the other mounts. See photos of this mount and available scope packages it comes with at:
While I was filing the notches in my mount I was muttering to myself, and wondering why they hadn't just extended it down a little farther, drilled it and supplied a cross-bolt, instead of depending on set screws.

Looks like Baby Bertha might get a new scope mount...

·
Registered
217 Posts
muahahahaha and my wife's Christmas shopping is done!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts