Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've been seein these Mosin Nagant snipers at websites like southern ohio guns and military gun supply. I thought that one of these would be fun to have but my question is are these assembled in russia or put toughter at the importer. If they are put toughter at the importer are they put toughter well or kind of sloppy. Also what surplus ammo works best I've heard good reports about the czech stuff and is all the stuff corrosive? Thanks

·
Registered
570 Posts
If they are indeed a real sniper and the part numbers match they were assembled in their respective factories in Russia and should be rock solid. As far as surplus ammo goes, it should all be treated as corrosive. You don't have to worry about it rusting your bore if you clean your rifle properly after firing it with some warm water, or some windex to neutralize the corrosive primer salts, and then just scrub your bore as you normally would. I have been using corrosive ammo in all of my Mosins for a while and haven't had any corrosion problems to date. As far as finding accurate surplus ammo, it really depends on what your individual rifle likes. Some rifles will like certain ammo, and some won't. You just have to try different types until you find one that works well for you and then stick with it.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,972 Posts
Most of these 'sniper Mosin' are put together by the importers. A true sniper Mosin is rare, and commands premium prices! Collectors have to wade thru a lot of fakes to find the real deal.
They can still make a fun to shoot rifle, and give you a facsimile of what the real one would be like.
Ammo is something that simply must be tried. All rifles have their preferences.

·
Registered
216 Posts
They are not made up by the importer - they are

being made in the Ukrain and imported just like you see them

They are reproductions and lots were made on Hex receivers and we all know that there were NO hexd PU sniper

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Just because it was a platoon sniper rifle does not mean it is still a good sniper. My limited experience says just look for a well defined bore, clean metal, and you will have an accurate MN. Both of my M44's are accurate as !!!! after adjusting for the bayonet offset. Once you know where to shoot it's easy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts