Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so my dad got some stripper clips from a gun show that seem to be junk. the bullets fit in, and it fits in the gun, but it would take a gorilla to push them into the mag. i bent a couple out to limber it up but its still very difficult to do. is there some special way to load the clips, or transfer them into the mag? comments would be appreciated.

* makes the sad face *

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you position the loaded clip on the rifle slot you will notice that you can wiggle the front of the ammos up and down. I hold the bullet end up as I insert them at the stripper slot then thumb-press at the base of the top cartridge. Works smooth for me.
I have tried several after market clips and most just won't work. I tried bending, grinding and polishing and just got frustrated with them. The ones that I am happy with are the brass stripper clips I got from a guy on e-bay. Plus, the brass stipper clips do not scratch the brass as much as the steel strippers do - important for reloaders like me.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
When I use Mosin stripper clips, I place the rifle butt on my right thigh, and grab the stripper clip with my left hand. Then I hook one finger under the bullet end of the stack and hold it up as I start pushing the other end in with my thumb. It takes a little practice, but once they start they'll go.

The only stripper clips I've ever bought that work at all for me are the genuine surplus ones.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i see. ill try to hold the ends up and see if that works if not i may have to find some originals or just do it the old fashioned way

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
If you position the loaded clip on the rifle slot you will notice that you can wiggle the front of the ammos up and down. I hold the bullet end up as I insert them at the stripper slot then thumb-press at the base of the top cartridge. Works smooth for me.
I have tried several after market clips and most just won't work. I tried bending, grinding and polishing and just got frustrated with them. The ones that I am happy with are the brass stripper clips I got from a guy on e-bay. Plus, the brass stipper clips do not scratch the brass as much as the steel strippers do - important for reloaders like me.
+1!!!

I use the brass from some guy on e-bay and they work great. The above methods of pushing them in work perfectly. I've also heard that using the back end of a Sharpie® to push on the primer-end of the rounds works, but I have yet to try it myself.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have other mosins that I use the clips for.
Oh heres a clip to demonstrate how well these clips work(no pun intended:09:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
haha yea those things seem useful....in a war. lol :09:
im not gonna have such a luxury as using clips cause im putting on a scope.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
haha yea those things seem useful....in a war. lol :09:
im not gonna have such a luxury as using clips cause im putting on a scope.
I know you mentioned not liking the scout scopes that replace the rear sight, but by using it, you can also use stripper clips.... Something to think about. :wink1:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the video clip. Nice demostration. Would've been safer to do it out of an enclosed space since it looks like you were using live rounds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow

That is a cool video, I bought some clips from cheaper than dirt. I cut my thumb wide open with these (expletive deleted). I could not get any round to inter the magazine well. Needless to say they are on their way back to dirt.
I also bought a broken shell extractor since I was already paying the shipping. When would you ever need a shell extractor?
Thanks, I really enjoy this forum.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
The brass ones do work great. Have some original strippers and the brass ones work just as well. I have both a 91/30 with a PU scope and one with a scout mount with LER scope. Like the PU for originality and looks, but when it comes down to shooting for fun, I like the scout/LER scope. Accurate and easy to use the strip clips. Pretty much a matter of preference I guess. Good luck on what ever you choose.....

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Apparently all brass stripper clips are not created equal. I bought some at a local gun shop, and wound up throwing them away so I wouldn't aggravate myself trying to use one again.

They felt like the rim was actually digging into the soft brass when I tried to push them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Has anyone successfully used the Tickbite stripper clips? I'm not able to get mine to work, but I'm not sure if the clip is the problem or my technique.

LD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts