Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Mosin M44 three weeks ago, and after the waiting period, took it out to the range for a little Mosin shoulder massage. Sighted it in easily with the commercial ($1/shot ammo); horizontal was right on, but the elevation as expected, needed a little rear sight play. Upon return to Big 5 for shootin' supplies, I saw another specimen that looked a whole lot better than the one I had. I asked what the exchange policy was, and was told it'd be no problem. One of the gun guys behind the counter mentioned that they just recieved a shipment of M44s, so I asked if I could see one. When the box was opened, the sales guy uttered an involuntary "My God!", as did a customer on my side of the counter. *All* serial numbers (including the bolt!) match, the metal has no rust patches, and the stock has only a small dime sized cat-claw scratch. Well oiled, but with no cosmoline, I asked if they'd hold it 'till Monday for me so I can swap out my old, beat up, workhorse-warrrior for this pristine private. "No problem" was the reply! I'll post results after I see them again tomorrow. They even said they'd waive the $25 dross fee (although I'd still have to wait another long ten days).
They have to call corporate on Monday (it's Sunday today) to approve the exchange, but all should go well. Surp ammo should be here in a few days, so I guess I'll be polishing cartridges until the wait is over!

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,319 Posts
$1.00 a shot?
Waiting period?
"Dross" fee?
Call corporate to approve the exchange?

Where do you live? :eek:

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Commie-fornia I'll bet.

I didn't know Big 5 would exchange rifles. I would keep both if it was me!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The "dross" fee ($25) is for the background check here in California, and yes, the ammo is $20 per box of 20. Have 400 surp on its way...

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
$1.00 a shot?
Yeah, Big 5 charges ~$20 for a box of 20 Winchester 7.62x54R... that is, when they have it. For as many M39's, M44's, and M91/30's they sell, you'd think they'd keep massive back-stock of the stuff.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Winchester is $17 (!!!) at Big 5 here, and always in-stock. Cabelas is the only place that I know of that carries Wolf Gold 54R ($12.99).

This weekend is the Crossroads Of The West Gunshow, so time to restock my 7.62x54R brass supply, and also some Brown Bear 7.62x39 to feed the hungry little SKS ($4 a box).

·
Registered
129 Posts
winchester is 11 bucks here in minnesota lol and i can get brown bear for 6 bucks... i also live about a mile from the sportsmanguide.com warehouse so i can get all the surplus ammo i need...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, i just received 400 rounds from Ammunition To Go.
$39.95 + $16.92 for shipping the 28 lb package... "Czech silver tip".
A little better than Big 5's price... Packed in little cardboard boxes, they all fit *perfectly in a 50 caliber ammo box!

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Well, i just received 400 rounds from Ammunition To Go.
$39.95 + $16.92 for shipping the 28 lb package... "Czech silver tip". Anyone have expereience with this ammo?
A little better than Big 5's price... Packed in little cardboard boxes, they all fit *perfectly) in a 50 caliber ammo box!
Any experience?... ouch. That hurts... I go and make a whole thread for it and the guy asks if anyone has experience... *le sigh* ;-p
Yeah, I've gone through about 200+ rounds of the stuff through my 91/30 now. Czech this out: Military Surplus Ammunition :drive:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
My apologies J.A.C.; a fine thread to be sure! Also the link regarding sticky bolt syndrome will be handy as well...

Swap update:
Big #1 says the swap, "will be no problem". Big #2 says, "All sales are final unless there is something wrong with the rifle".

All being said and done, the swap went through. With the new waiting period, the pick up date is 12-09. Range update soon thereafter!

So until the 9th, it's sitting on the couch trying to talk the family into helping remove the laquer on 400 cases with nailpolish remover......

·
Registered
570 Posts
Don't go too crazy with the nail polish remover, your new M44 might not mind the lacquer coating so much. My 91/30 will shoot silver tips just fine, but they stick like crazy in my Finn M91. The condition of your chamber ( some can be a little rough, or have cosmoline stuck in them ) and it's dimensions are the biggest factors that can contribute to sticky bolt. There can be quite a difference in chamber dimensions, especially in the ones made during war time when the Mosins were really being rushed off of the assembly line, so sometimes it can be hit or miss. But anyway, I guess the point of all of this is I would see how they operate in the new Mosin before I went through the trouble of trying to remove the lacquer coating. Nail polish remover smells awful!:fart:

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
My apologies J.A.C.; a fine thread to be sure! Also the link regarding sticky bolt syndrome will be handy as well...

Swap update:
Big #1 says the swap, "will be no problem". Big #2 says, "All sales are final unless there is something wrong with the rifle".

All being said and done, the swap went through. With the new waiting period, the pick up date is 12-09. Range update soon thereafter!

So until the 9th, it's sitting on the couch trying to talk the family into helping remove the laquer on 400 cases with nailpolish remover......
I never had much luck removing the "varnish" from Czech MilSurp (or any other). Let us know what finally works.

Next time you might want to try some Bulgarian Heavy Ball (174gr.). FMJ copper, with lead core, bullet and brass case. 300 rounds for $29.95 (AIM). I'm checking on the primer type, but being made in the 1950's I'm guessing it's Berdan corrosive... but no worse than the steel case stuff, and should cycle flawlessly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts