Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

Planning on purchasing a new gun and cant decide between mosin or mauser or possibly a Swiss k-31 a little help please!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well, after owning Mausers and Mosins it can be a tossup so I'll list the pro's and cons of each. Mosins are a LOT of fun to shoot. They are loud ( especially the M38 and M44 carbines ), ammo is cheap and easy to find, and they are almost always priced very reasonably which allows you to stockpile them like I have been doing without killing your bank account :). The action can get a little stiff at times, but as long as you keep the chamber clean and try to avoid lacquer coated ammo you can usually avoid this. There are quite a bit of variations of the Mosin that have been produced, with Finland making the nicest ( but expensive ) ones.
Mausers are lots of fun too. There are a LOT of different variations, so you can be a Mauser collector for a long time before you ever come close to getting all of the variations that have been produced. The action is also very smooth to operate which is nice at times. Downsides mostly apply to the ones that shoot the 6.5mm and 7mm rounds, as ammo can be hard to find and somewhat expensive unless you go with the more common 8mm chambering that most Mausers shoot which is pretty cheap. Mausers are also generally more expensive than Mosins, so take that into consideration too if price is a factor to you.
Overall they are both excellent rifle designs and well worth owning. If expense is a big factor I would go with a Mosin. If you're not worried about cost and want a really sweet shooting rifle I would go with a Swedish Mauser in 6.5mm.
The K31 I have heard is an outstanding rifle that is very accurate, but ammo can be rather expensive. I don't own one yet, but I do plan on getting a nice one sometime in the near future.
What exactly do you want out of the rifle you intend on buying? Knowing that might make it easier for us to make good recommendations.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Yes, there all bolt action. I've got Mosins myself, a M38 and a M44. The next one I'll buy is a 91/30 that I want to turn into a Mosin sniper clone. I'm thinking about putting a decent red dot on one of my other Mosins just to see what it would be like. For Christmas I THINK I'm getting one of those Mausers from Centerfire Systems(24/47) in 8MM. I've also got an Argentine Mauser, that I think is one of the 6.5's. The gun is in great shape, all #'s match including the bayo. I payed like mid $200's a few years back. Both of my Mosins are in great shape, and I payed less then $100 a piece for them. If I get the Mauser, its supposed to be one of the excellent condition ones, they are like $150, I think on sale for like $130. I know I got a gun for Christmas, so if its not that its either a refinished 91/30 or an excellent condition Yugo 59/66. Just have to wait and see. I've also seen some nice mounts for Mausers that allow you to use the Russian scopes. Its been a while since I've taken a vacation, so I might take a few days in Jan.. The best part is, if I do, I'm gonna start removing cosmo from all my milsurp guns.......

·
Registered
570 Posts
All Mausers and Mosins are bolt action, and are more than capable of hitting targets at 500+ meters, so you're fine in that department. For the price Mosins are hard to beat. You can get M44's and 91/30's now for around $80-$100 in excellent condition from lots of different distributors.
Classic Arms Inc. has quite a few nice Mosins and Mausers for sale and I have heard good things about them.
For ammo I would recommend The Sportsmans Guide and type in 7.62x54r in the search field. They have an awesome deal on some Hungarian Heavy ball that shoots well in my Mosins. I just ordered some from them about 2 weeks ago and I am really liking it.
Here are some other links to various distributors around the net so you can get a good idea about what Mausers and Mosins generally go for.
AIMSurplus, your home for surplus ammunition, guns and firearms
Home
The EMPIRE ARMS web-site - Lots of different Mausers on here
AuctionArms.com - Online Gun Auction - one of the biggest gun auction sites on the net
GunBroker.com Online Gun Auction - another good auction site
GunsAmerica - The Honor System Gun Classifieds - another popular gun auction site.
I hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks i'm thining i'm gona go with the M91/30 i found some on jgsales.com for $75.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Thanks i'm thining i'm gona go with the M91/30 i found some on jgsales.com for $75.
Do you have to buy it from the informatation sharing "gotta have personal information on you than what is required" idjets at J&G? Sheesh, lol.

BTW...I'd go with the time tried and proven mauser action over any Mosin action. MHO.

·
Registered
630 Posts
mausers are great, but so is my romanian m44. I like would have to say the mauser mainly because I'm more familiar with the rifle action, but the m44 is still fun too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If i do find one on the internet how would i be able to order it without all the licenses?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Go to your local gun shop and they can get it for you. They should have the FFL to order it,but be warned that the local gun shop will charge you for it. Mine here in Ohio charges $25 per gun and whatever taxes that you have to pay from where it came from. :irked:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have 3 M91/30 Nagants & an 8mm M98 Mauser. I prefer the Nagants but thouroughly enjoy the Mauser. If I had to choose, I would go with the Nagant.

You can get your Curio & Relics liscenes from the ATF for $30.00 for three years and not have to pay $25.00 per gun you order.

I got mine and it makes ordering online easy.

You can check out the C&R forum for details.

Nick

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
If i do find one on the internet how would i be able to order it without all the licenses?
You could always get an 03-FFL (aka CC&R Collector of Curios and Relics) license, which allows you to buy C&R classed weapons accross state lines, by mail. This takes about 4 weeks and runs $30 for 3 years. I buy my C&R rifles in-person most of the time (i.e. Big 5 or other stores) so that I can see what I'm getting. Every once in a while a great deal comes along and the C&R comes in handy. Also, with a C&R on file at your local gun-dealer it cuts down on the paperwork.

About the only requirement is that you keep a record of your purchases and if you sell a gun you must record it in the record (called a boundbook). Note that this is not a license to deal in C&R weapons, only to buy via "(e) mail order".

P.S. I forgot to include the following:

ATF Online

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks i think i might get a 6 position stock for my sks first but may get both and if not i will down the road and this will come in handy!

Thanks again,

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, after owning Mausers and Mosins it can be a tossup so I'll list the pros and cons of each. Mosins are a LOT of fun to shoot. They are loud ( especially the M38 and M44 carbines ), ammo is cheap and easy to find...
That might depend upon where you live. Here in my area, no one carries 7.62x54R locally, so I'm going to have to get mine mail-order.
...and they are almost always priced very reasonably which allows you to stockpile them like I have been doing without killing your bank account :).
This is absolutely true, and not an insignificant factor. I'd love to have a WWII Mauser in original configuration, but they're very costly. I just bought my first MN this weekend, and it only set me back $112 for a really nice Russian M44.
Enfields were once cheap, too, when they were being imported by the ton. But now prices have climbed as the available supply dwindles, and I'm glad I bought mine before they started escalating. The same thing will inevitably happen to Mosins, so now's the time.

I buy my C&R rifles in-person most of the time (i.e. Big 5 or other stores) so that I can see what I'm getting.
I wish this "Big 5" that you Western guys keep talking about would start opening stores in Pennsylvania. Sure sounds like a great place to find milsurp rifles.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Xmas comes early

I found out by accident that my girlfriend just got me a M39 for Christmas. I'm very excited. I can't believe I found a woman that enjoys sharing my hobby with me.

I believe she got it from Allans Armory in Fla.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wish this "Big 5" that you Western guys keep talking about would start opening stores in Pennsylvania. Sure sounds like a great place to find milsurp rifles.
I went to the harrisburg gun show over this passed weekend and picked up a new in the crate M44 for $89. It came with a sling and ammo pouch. I thought it to be a great deal considering the condition of the weapons. They also had k98's for around $249, same condition. Some great deals at the harrisburg show, I will be heading back in march when they have the next show.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I went to the harrisburg gun show over this passed weekend and picked up a new in the crate M44 for $89. It came with a sling and ammo pouch. I thought it to be a great deal considering the condition of the weapons. They also had k98's for around $249, same condition. Some great deals at the harrisburg show, I will be heading back in march when they have the next show.
Yeah, that's where I got my M44 this past weekend. According the flier I picked up, the next one is March 17 and 18, 2007.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts