Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wallyworld has the .30-06 of the ATR for 250+tax, but are sold out and cannot order the .308, (warehouse out of stock.) otherwise .308 at walmart would be 280

my local gun shop can get me the .308 for 300+tax.

Im mainly going to be doing target shooting, and i dont know what caliber i should get.

is the .308 worth 50 more over the .30-06?

·
Registered
89 Posts
what's up man ,well i think that the mossberg is a ok rifle 4 the price i had aone in 30-06 and it shot ok,but if u would spend about 50-80 more bucks
u could get a stevens mod. 200 in a short or long action with alot of cal. 2 choose from.i think the stevens mod. 200 is a better choice for the money.

dont let ur meatloaf!!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I haven't shot an ATR but search on here i haven't heard anything good about them....go with the stevens 200. they can be had for right around the 300 dollars the atr is

o welcome to G & G!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had a chance to check out the stevens, but the thing that points me away is the pitiful gray stock, do they make aftermarket stocks?

·
Registered
89 Posts
i'm not sure,but if the gun shoots good & u can get it 4 around 300.00
grey or not ,i would still pick the stevens over the other.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I haven't shot an ATR but search on here i haven't heard anything good about them....go with the stevens 200. they can be had for right around the 300 dollars the atr is

o welcome to G & G!
I have not head a bad thing about the ATR? have you shot the stevens?

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Also,

the newer Marlin bolt action rifles have gotten a great deal of positive
press. I would look into the Marlin as a possible match to your needs.

·
Registered
50 Posts

o welcome to G & G!
I have an ATR in .308 and I love it. It shoots great, the wood stock looks good and it was $315. Now you can't say you haven't heard anything good about the ATR....LOL

kchau,

I wouldn't think you would need a .308 or an 30-06 if you're mainly target practicing. A 7mm-08 is a nice accurate caliber that will not beat your arm up and could still be used on deer. If you are not going to hunt with it a gold old .22 is the best thing going to plink targets and the ammo is super cheap. I also would look hard at the Marlin rifles. You can get them with a nice camo stock and an adjustable trigger for around $300. I agree with you the Stevens is an eyesore. I mean it is a nice shooting gun by most accounts. But, why on earth did they have to give it that grey stock??

·
Registered
678 Posts
wallyworld has the .30-06 of the ATR for 250+tax, but are sold out and cannot order the .308, (warehouse out of stock.) otherwise .308 at walmart would be 280

my local gun shop can get me the .308 for 300+tax.

Im mainly going to be doing target shooting, and i dont know what caliber i should get.

is the .308 worth 50 more over the .30-06?
You might be comparing apples and oranges. Make sure both guns have the new lightning bolt trigger(?). The local Wm had a ATR cheap, $267 but it doesn't have the adjustable trigger. That may be why you see a price difference between the .308 Win and 30-06.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
April of 2008 was when this Thread was posted. I would imagine he has bought something by now LOL
Plus he's never came back. Bommer !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts