Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:feedback:Does anyone know about these rifles? My dad gave me this one about 8 years ago after he bought another squirrel gun,( and I would have to say that this is probably one of the most accurate 22s out there.) Although he more or less ruined it by having my uncle drill and tap it for a scope ,I was wondering if anyone else has had the pleasure of shooting one of these? I'm going to tell you a story of its accuracy ,( This is not a load of crap) I used to take it to the range when it was still scoped and not once ,but twice shot a fly (bug) on the target(about 2 weeks apart in august) while shooting at 25 yard targets, at 25 yards(the 9 or 12 two inch circles,im not sure its been 4 years).Im telling you this gun is able to knock the bull ring consistantly (its about the size of a pencil eraser). I was using a bag rest,( I thought Id better add that )The problem is ,I cannot find an original front (all I need is the hood ) and rear sites(peep type)DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO FIND SOME? I personally would rather not keep it scoped.So If anyone is out there with any stories ,history, or info about these guns PLEASE REPLY. Thanks! shawn P.S The biggest downfall of this gun is that it is HEAVY to stomp around in the woods with.I beleve it weighs about the same as an M1 garand (12pounds?)

Attachments

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have a US44 with the Lyman S100 peep sight and 26" heavy barrel. It's dang near match accuracy. It was used in WWII as a training rifle. We couldn't make enough Garands for everybody it seems.

·
Wonderment :)
33,585 Posts
shawn: Try 'numrich' gun parts. Try 'Midway'
and 'Brownells'
Now Sir; you have a tack "bug smasher":) driver

Follow up with your experiences

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,360 Posts
For all things Mossberg Rimfire - try Havlinsales.com - they are THE Mossberg resource! If Vic Havlin don't have it, it was never made.
He also has a neat scope mount that bolts on using the peep sight holes on the left side of the receiver.
I also have gotten the Mossberg peep sights and front sights from ebay - however with their anti-gun feelings lately, this may not work anymore.
Also try Gunbroker and Auction Arms - both gun auction sites have parts including sights.

I don't yet have the M44, but I do have seven other Mossy's - I love 'em!

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I have 2 of them...they are tackdrivers. Sights are out there, you just have to find them.Mine are all original from CMP years ago.. Brownells carrys spare mags, they are a bit spendy.
Rich

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Not this gun in particular

After reading my post several times , I just wanted to say that what I meant was that these guns as a whole are very accurate,and that I'm not trying to say that I'm an exceptional shot . I'm not. I had been at the range alot that summer and had alot of practice. It would take another summer to be able to do it again. I hope I didnt come across as arrogant, If I did ,I apologize. shawn P.S. Thanks everyone for the links for the sights!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nice gun! I have a 144, which is a later "civilian" version. Yours probably either had the S100 Lyman sight or the S130 Mossberg sight, depending on when it was made. Havlin's should have both, but you might have to do some research to figure out which one you need--the mounting might be different. Check out this site for more info:

Mossberg 22 LR Models and Specifications

Yes, they are heavy, but I don't know about 12 pounds. The specs say 8.5, but that's without a scope.

Have fun!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts