Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Mossberg 4x4 rifles are finally on the shelves, and I got to see one of the first at Gander Mountain.

The one I handled was a 270 Win in stainless steel with a synthetic stock, probably this one.

Pretty much all of the metalwork looked identical to the ATR, which isn't a bad thing. What seems to be different is the stock and magazine well. Magazine is a true double stack, but its lips aren't round - they go straight in. Probably a cost saving measure in manufacturing. They do look like they have metal feed lips, which is generally considered to be a good thing. The magazine went in smoothly even at varied angles. It seems to be a good straight insertion design, that still holds firmly when inserted. The rails under the bolt seemed to be pretty dang thin, I was afraid that they may be too thin not to bend or dent easily. But I looked around and it seems most rifles are the same way. If I could have loaded snap caps or empty shells I could tell more about whether the magazine is good or not.

The downside - the stock bent a bit too easily. Again, this was the synth stock version. And it was a bit barrel heavy - more so than the ATR. So I think this was due to the open synthetic buttstock.

All in all they look fine. Not an incredible as I had imagined them to be, but not bad. They do look like they have a few cost-saving measures in them, but if it allows them to price lower without lower quality in the ways that matter, then that's no problem to me. The wood stocked models may have better balance and rigidity than this one, so I'll reserve judgement.

So if you were ever considering one, take the opportunity to handle it and see if it feels good to you. Feeling good in the hands is the only way I think these rifles fall short, since their functional components are the same as their successful ATR rifles.

The rifle I saw was the #26605, with an MSRP of $481. Price at the store was about the same. So I suspect Mossberg's suggested retail prices are, for a change, close to actual retail.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Thanks BRG3 I respect your report, and there have been some inquires here about them.

How did the bolt look, the bolt is tube stock and the ends are soldered on I believe there catalog says...A.H

·
PUKHA DAWG
3,799 Posts
Thanks for the review. I have yet to see one around these parts.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bolt tube stock and ends soldered on? Didn't see any sign of that. The bolt head was connected to the bolt body via a bar - very similar to a Savage, but without the idler lug.

Wait for them to go to $390 if all you're looking for is a deal. But if this rifle is what you want and you'd rather have it than something else, and want to actually want them to keep being made, you have to pay what it costs.

Me, I'm weighing it against a Remington SPS-DM, each with their respective merits. I'm open minded on wood vs synthetic, so it's the merit of each that's getting my attention.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts