Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mossberg 500a with a .50 caliber muzzleloader attachment for it. I was cleaning it and the outers brush I was using pulled out of the steel part that with the threads on it. Any suggestions on what I should do besides buy another muzzleloader?

·
Registered
659 Posts
ohhh crap i would try a gunsmith probly cheaper than new gun or if all else fails coat hanger with tight u shape on end force past the brush to pull out good luck thou

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Tap it out with a wooden dowel and a mallet.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried a bullet puller and a patch puller. The bullet puller goes into it, but it doesn't pull it out. The corkscrew looking thing won't go into it. But I'll try it again. Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
If you get a Bullet puller worm to catch hold of it, Pour some Dawn dish soap and water mix (50/50) down the bore as a lube, let it soak a few Minutes and slowly twist and pull in the direction of the worm.
Rich

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
You Need a worm that will let the center of the brush go thru the middle as it wraps around the brush...So it can grab it. You can find a corkscrew that will fit the bore and have a large enough center to do this and have it brazed onto a proper size machine screw or right to the end of a welding or brazing rod long enough to reach and 2 small vise grips as a Handle. If you cant get that to work, we will go to plan B.

Plan B...
You need to find a piece of thinwall tubing like Brake line 3/8 inch -7/16 inch O.D. and about 3 ft long. Chamfer the inside edge of one end slightly and insert this end into the barrel until you feel it slip over the broken center of the brush. Gently tap this tube Down over the brush until it stops, then WITHOUT TWISTING the tube, Pull it straight out. The bristles should "Lock" themselves into the tubing. Just make sure that the tubing has a large enough diameter inside to go over the brush stem, and a loose fit to the barrel on the outside of the tubing.
Rich

1 - 9 of 9 Posts