Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a guy give me several boxes of steel duck shot magnum rounds. (They were about 12 bucks a box....expensive aparently). Anyways, can I safely shoot them???

Thanks!!

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
What barrel is on the Mossberg model 500 you've got? What sight, bead front?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Check you chamber, it should be marked for length of shell. Check the manual to see if steel shot can be used. Make sure not to shoot a longer shell than marked on the barrel.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem is I don't know what barrel I have. It is a bead sight. It is the pistol grip version. I loaded the magnum shells and ejected them just fine. Still not sure though!

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Well the model 500 Mossberg takes both the 2 3/" and 3" shells. It all depends on the barrel you have. The barrel should say what it will shoot/hold. Also, what choke system is on it? If it's the cylinder choke you should be fine. If it's the select a choke or other, you just have to have it at the right setting I think. So you don't blow the choke out or ruin it.

My Mossberg model 500 is marked 600At and had a 28" vent ribbed barrel with the select a choke. Could have improved, modified or full just by turning the choke. Still have the barrel but I put an 18 1/2" security barrel with cylinder choke and bead front sight. Did some other but since I didn't hunt with it anymore figured I'd convert it to a home defense tactical shotgun. I still have everything so I could/can always put it back to original. lol

Do you have a picture of the barrel or a way to post a picture of it to help us better help you.
In fact, go here >>> page7b <<< and save to file and also print the manual for it if you don't have one.
Scroll down to M and find Mossberg model 500,505,535,590 and 835.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I know it will cycle the shells just fine, it is the "magnum" part I am worried about. How can I tell if it has a choke on it?? I am new to these things. (I don't think it has a choke at all...just straight barrel).

(That link did not work for me...I could not get it to come up).

I am just worried about the barrel cracking or exploding with the magnum load.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
you can get a tool that checks the choke, or go the easy way and see if a dime will fit in the end of the barrel. If not it is full choke and i wouldn't shoot steel out of it. If the dime goes in though i would say you should be fine because then you have at least modified or improved. You should be fine with the magnum part.

O and yes, steel shot is expensive as hell. be glad you didn't buy 3 1/2s lol

·
Registered
433 Posts
Problem is I don't know what barrel I have. It is a bead sight. It is the pistol grip version. I loaded the magnum shells and ejected them just fine. Still not sure though!
Sounds to me like it is the mossberg 500 cruiser or JIC. I believe that it doesn't have a choke if my memory is right. Neither of these is chambered for 3 1/2 inch magnum shells.

Sounds to me like it is the mossberg 500 cruiser or JIC. I believe that it doesn't have a choke if my memory is right. Neither of these is chambered for 3 1/2 inch magnum shells.

I got this from my 500's manual. The way i took it as long as the shells are 3", then the steel shot will be fine.

835® Models are designated to fire 12 gauge 2-3/4”, 3”, or 3-1/2” factory loaded ammunition.
Do not fire slugs of any type (single projectile ammunition) through the overbored 835
Accu-Mag barrel. This barrel is designated to shoot lead or steel pellet shot loads only. Use
only 835 barrels designated specifically for slug shooting.
535™ Models are designed for factory loaded 2-3/4”, 3”, and 3-1/2” shells and rifled slugs.
590® Models handle 12 ga. 2-3/4” or 3” magnum shells. 500® and 505™ Models
are designed for 2-3/4” (2-1/2” .410 bore) and 3” magnum shells within gauge.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you can get a tool that checks the choke, or go the easy way and see if a dime will fit in the end of the barrel. If not it is full choke and i wouldn't shoot steel out of it. If the dime goes in though i would say you should be fine because then you have at least modified or improved. You should be fine with the magnum part.

O and yes, steel shot is expensive as hell. be glad you didn't buy 3 1/2s lol

Shoot, I could almost get my thumb into the barrel. Okay. So I will be okay with the magnum rounds. I suppose it will just hurt a bit to shoot them with that pistol grip. :bigeyes:

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
possibly....you won't notice when you hunt though. I only notice the 3 1/2" mags when i am sooting straight up at geese or ducks....then sometimes it doesn't feel very good lol

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't hunt with this shotgun. It is for personal home defense. (Short barrel and pistol grip dont make for good hunting anyways).

Can I use steel magnum duck rounds for personal defense or is that too much?

How do they compare to 00 buck?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts