Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a mossberg 500 with a folding stock and a pistol grip. This was all installed in about 2000 when it was new. It also has no papers and I don’t know much about the Safe Act Law. My Grandpa keeps giving me crap because “it’s not legal”. I can’t find any solid answers so I would like to know if this makes it illegal. Also I’m in New York State. Thanks
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
David,
I give you this information so you can draw your own conclusion, these are from the state on NYs own site....https://safeact.ny.gov/system/files...hat_are_not_classified_as_assault_weapons.pdf

https://safeact.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2020/02/shotguns_banned_features.pdf

While I am not qualified to give legal advise as I am not a lawyer, it does appear that your SG is legal as it is not a semi-automatic...again, do your own research..common sense goes out the window when talking about guns, gun classification and gun classification done by government agencies. You will see no reason why a semiauto SG is considered an AW and the exact same firearm only in a pump action is an AW....it is all bs and meant to confuse...and lead to mistakes= enforcement

·
Premium Member
25,776 Posts
Yep, no papers, Safe Act, etc and you are a new member and 1st time poster on G&G. I would think you should have researched this all and went through the proper channels prior to buying instead of trying to get strangers to possibly give you illegal advice.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
and that state has been Blue more than 10 years, everything fun is illegal unless it is actually a sin.
Sad thing PHD is that most blue states have been like this for 50 years, indoctrination of the youth in education has been going on since I was a youngster....there are some Federal agencies that need to be abolished. Like the Department of Education, nothing more than a DC control on indoctrination/education....

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
regardless of legality, get that danm horizontal grip off the slide. A. its hideous, B. its riduclous and C. probably not legal in whatever state your in. the pistol grip and folding stock themselves arent necessarily an issue in general, unless your state has a specific regulation against them, as long as the barrel is over 18".

You should look for a gun forum specific to your state perhaps. or, take it to a gun store( professionals) and ask them.

·
Banned
222 Posts
Im Not Sure but the Mossberg Compact Cruiser 500 and 590 are firearms that don't have a buttstock, are under 26 inches in overall length, and fire shotgun shells. ... Believe it or not, it is perfectly legal under federal law for most private citizens to manufacture certain NFA firearms for their own use at home.

Reactions: Junction15

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
Im Not Sure but the Mossberg Compact Cruiser 500 and 590 are firearms that don't have a buttstock, are under 26 inches in overall length, and fire shotgun shells. ... Believe it or not, it is perfectly legal under federal law for most private citizens to manufacture certain NFA firearms for their own use at home.
If you Form 1 them.
I fear there are a lot of people out there that purchased TAC-14 and Shockwave barrels plus the birds head stock/grip thinking they were A-okay but aren't. Still needs a form 1. That was noted when someone brought something like that into a local shop.🙄

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I will give some legal advice, having been one who put lots of people in jail. Do not post a picture of anything online, face book or anywhere that you suspect might be illegal. If it were illegal, that photo would probable cause for any local, state or federal officer to get a warrant to search your house for that gun. And of course they would be obligated to seize any evidence of any crime they might see in your house while they are searching it. Not that you have anything illegal just saying. They just run up the IP address and then come to your house.

There is an ATF rule that some shotguns manufactured with a pistol grip are legal so long as they came from the factory that way. If you change from a butt stock to a pistol grip that is a crime. But yours is a shoulder grip, because it is still designed to be fired from the shoulder, so there should not be a problem, under federal law . I have no clue under New York law.

And as someone said put that vertical grip vertical and put the light and lasers on the side. I have used guns with front stuff on them, that vertical grip on the side, will limit how you move around doors and corners, you want the thinnest gun you can get, in my honorable opinion. If you are just shooting for fun and games, side mount is fine. Other than that nice gun.

One of the downsides of the AR type folding stocks on shotguns is they seem to recoil more than a traditional stocks with military grade 00 buckshot. Any pad added will help. I also have an 870 Supermag with a stock like that, it kicks like heck with turkey loads.

I have a similar gun with wood furniture that was cut to 19 inches open bore that I carried in police car and a park ranger truck, Surprisingly that short barrel with no choke works very well for dove, quail and rabbits. Your buddies may laugh until they see that you do not miss much when game is within 55 yards or so.

My 2 cents. Welcome to the forum.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,786 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from another honest citizen trapped in the Peoples Democratic Republic of New York.

This NY government website offers information concerning what is legal and not under the UnSAFE Act as far as cosmetic features on shotguns go. If what you said in your post, David, is accurate I think your Mossberg is not New York State legal. The UnSAFE Act bans folding stocks on rifles and shotguns.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Lol …. I’m in Texas. As long as the shotgun with stock has a barrel length over 18 inches I’m good to go.
Amen, Brother.

Reactions: TXplt

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from another honest citizen trapped in the Peoples Democratic Republic of New York.

This NY government website offers information concerning what is legal and not under the UnSAFE Act as far as cosmetic features on shotguns go. If what you said in your post, David, is accurate I think your Mossberg is not New York State legal. The UnSAFE Act bans folding stocks on rifles and shotguns.

His is a pump not a semi auto.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
21,335 Posts
regardless of legality, get that danm horizontal grip off the slide. A. its hideous, B. its riduclous and C. probably not legal in whatever state your in. the pistol grip and folding stock themselves arent necessarily an issue in general, unless your state has a specific regulation against them, as long as the barrel is over 18".

You should look for a gun forum specific to your state perhaps. or, take it to a gun store( professionals) and ask them.
Ya....don't know about the 'legal' part (stupid grips are legal in TX) but that caught me by surprise too. Perhaps there's a reason (and I try not to scoff at people who've build up things that genuinely work for them) but if there is I can't figure it out.

Vertical Grips on shotguns is one of those 'ya gotta know what you're doing' realms IMHO. It needs to be a QUALITY grip (i.e. not one that'll break off like the pro-mag grip guy who managed to break his grip AND shoot himself) and needs to have a purpose as well as not put undue strain on the rails (the 'chainsaw' concept actually did work but the problem was that there wasn't an easy way to aim the shotgun/pistol and most pistol grip shotguns are nearly impossible to shoot with any degree of accuracy at longer ranges. Not that the pistol grips were intended for anything but conversational distances). I can't fathom why someone might put it on the side.

I DO have one shotgun with vertical grip and it has helped in some situations (in fact, I'm going to the range to shoot it today hopefully after PT). So I'm not saying it doesn't have a purpose.

·
Wonderment :)
34,723 Posts
information: always go to the source

6 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3): DEFINITIONS (FIREARM ) 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4): DEFINITIONS (FIREARM) 26 U.S.C. 5845(c): DEFINITIONS (RIFLE)
27 CFR 479.11: DEFINITIONS (RIFLE)
27 CFR 479.11: DEFINITIONS (PISTOL)
A firearm, as defined by the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3), is made when unassembled parts are placed in close proximity in such a way that they: (a) serve no useful purpose other than to make a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; or (b) convert a complete weapon into such an NFA firearm. A firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when parts within a kit that were originally designed to be configured as both a pistol and a rifle are assembled or re-assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel or barrels of 16 inches or more in length). A firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3) and (a)(4), is not made when a pistol is attached to a part or parts designed to convert the pistol into a rifle with a barrel or barrels of 16 inches or more in length, and the parts are later unassembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., as a pistol). A firearm, as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4), is made when a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length, is assembled or produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle

·
Wonderment :)
34,723 Posts
continued:

National Firearms Act (NFA).
Some manufacturers produce firearm receivers and attachable component parts that are designed to be assembled into both rifles and pistols. The same receiver can accept an interchangeable shoulder stock or pistol grip, and a long (16 or more inches in length) or short (less than 16 inches) barrel. These components are sold individually, or as unassembled kits. Generally, the kits include a receiver, a pistol grip, a pistol barrel less than 16 inches in length, a shoulder stock, and a rifle barrel 16 inches or more in length

Certain parts or parts sets are also designed to allow an individual to convert a pistol into a rifle without removing a barrel or attaching a shoulder stock to the pistol. These parts consist of an outer shell with a shoulder stock into which the pistol may be inserted. When inserted, the pistol fires a projectile through a rifled extension barrel that is 16 inches or more in length, and with an overall length of 26 inches or more. Other parts sets require that certain parts of the pistol, such as the pistol barrel and the slide assembly, be removed from the pistol frame prior to attaching the parts sets. Typically, a separate barrel is sold with the parts set, which is 16 inches or greater in length. The barrel is installed along with an accompanying shoulder stock. The resulting firearm has a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and an overall length of 26 inches or more.
The NFA, Title 26, United States Code (U.S.C.), Chapter 53, requires that persons manufacturing, importing, transferring, or possessing firearms as defined in the NFA comply with the Act’s licensing, registration, and taxation requirements. The NFA defines the term “firearm” at 26 U.S.C. 5845(a) to include “(3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;” (“short-barreled rifle”) and “(4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length” (“weapon made from a rifle”). The term “rifle” is defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(c) and 27 CFR 479.11 as “a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed cartridge.” Although not defined in the NFA, the term “pistol” is defined by the Act’s implementing regulations, 27 CFR 479.11, as “a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s)” (emphasis added

1 - 20 of 21 Posts