Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed this before but with my affinity for big bores and black powder have been looking at it again. I normally laugh at all the major companies doing a muzzle loader version of their bolt action, but I must say this doesn't look bad at all. I'm curious as to how you prime it, like through the ejection port or something?

My requisite freakish conversion idea is to machine out a chamber for a proprietary black powder round for brushbusting. Something that would feed like a shotgun round but would have the ballistics of a BP rifle round.

How do you suppose shooting this would compare powerwise and costwise to shooting slugs? Not counting the cost of the proprietary BP rifle shells, of course.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,046 Posts
How would you eject the special case? I'm betting the BP version isn't setup with an extractor - or does it use the same bolt? Could be really tough to reach that nipple - it would need a tool methinks.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would imagine it would use the same bolt and hit the primer with the same firing pin. I too haven't figured out the primer thing.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,383 Posts
I'd guess it takes a 209 primer in the breech. & I'd think youd hab=ve to have a tool to remove it.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
it wont work as you have pictured it.
the barrel is secured to the reciever by screwing the underbarrel lug to the magazine tube.
so,
how about a BP cartrige slug in 3 in mag? with a rifled barrel?
that wont work will it ...........
ok a BP rifled barrel that fits right to the shotgun
this sounds familuar to me, has it been done ?
I would think it would be easy
recapping would be the hardest part.

am I just behind the times?

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'd want to check to see if the bolt locked into the barrel as well. I was assuming it did but now that you mention it I could be wrong about that.

It is hard to show the BP concept being better than regular shotgun slugs.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
the bolt does lock to the barrel
the mag tube holds the barrel securely to the reciever

1 - 8 of 8 Posts