Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was considering buying this gun for deer hunting.

Has anyone had success with it. If so what guage should i use and brand of slug

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a 20 ga field combo havent really used it much. I acquired it after hearing my cousin swear by the 500 for years and years. He use's a 12ga field combo and has taken several deer with it. I got the 20ga because of the I wanted lesser recoil shooting a slug. As far as brand of slugs I can only honestly suggest 1. And I shot it out of a diffrent gun. I had a Savage 310F bolt action slug gun and shot Lightfields through it. I could put 3 in the bottom of a pop can at 100 yards. Id venture to say that they'd shoot just as good out of a mossberg.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Though I don't own a Mossberg 500, multitudes do and and interestingly most love them and defend them as being one of the best as a slug or scatter gun.
I own a Mossberg semi-auto and marvel at the quailty workmanship they put into it.
Mossberg has also blessed us with a new line of pumpactions named the 535 ATS
which is a redisigned 500 I suppose.
The receiver is different and appleaning and it handles 2 3/4 up to 3 1/2 pay loads and like the 500 it comes in a wide array of models.
The 50 and the 535 slug models all have deep Ballard type rifleing, which is a proven rifleing.
...A.H

·
Registered
170 Posts
The 535 is exactly that A.H., while I do not have one. When I recently got my 20 I also borrowed a 410 from my grandfather. His wasnt loading correctly, and I bought the AGI armours course on the 500. I found the problem with my grandfathers gun fixed it. But the 500 dvd had a schematic and actually the 500, 535 and 835 all share the same design. The 535 is just chambered for the 500 while the 835 has a slightly larger receiver. Or at least thats my conclusion after watching the dvd and going over the schematic.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Hi PistolCity I not sure about the receivers being larger but I know the 935 semi-auto and the 835 pumpaction both have overbored barrels where as the 500 and 535 have normal reguler barrels.
One of the guns I want badly is a 535 turkey model with 22" barrel matte black/synthectic stock.
This shotguns has to be able to kick you silly LOL It weighs in at 6 1/4 lbs !!! :09:

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
A good gun but not a great one

Mossburg is a good gun but not in what I would call the "top group". This firm does have a loyal following who are true fans of this manufacturer. If you buy one I would advise immediately disassembling to remove and packing/shipping grease, then lubricating with a light gun oil, followed by some range work to see if everything is working well including ejection.

I feel I am in the minority on this forum but I really do like my 20 gauge rifled slug gun. It is not recoil and muzzle blast oppressive. You can practice without pain until you get good with the 20 gauge. However, I feel most of the people responding to your post will advise the 12 gauge. Perhaps you can fire both to help you in your decision.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,575 Posts
I use my son's 500 youth model for back up to my 12 ga. It is a smooth bore & I shoot fosters. I would not hesitate to use it if needed, but have not been brave enough to use it instead of my 12 Ga Wingmaster with slug barrel.

It has killed paper well enough that I know where the slug will end up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts