close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mossberg 500 VS Remington 870 ???

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by 7mm fan, Aug 7, 2009.

1. 7mm fan

7mm fan G&G Newbie

I know these two shotguns are the top 2 selling pumps around.
    I've heard a supossed expert say that mossberg was junk compared to remington, but realized he was full of crap about almost everything that came out of his mouth. So i'm askin you guys, what are the differences in these 2 (that apply to practicul use). what kinda life span and reliability can i expect from both???

"In Samuel Colt We Trust"

2. Dan22

Dan22 G&G Evangelist

Don't have either but a lot of police forces trust their lives to the Mossberg.

Maybe some police officers on this forum could give us the scoop.

3. jrswanson1

jrswanson1 G&G Newbie

A lot of cruisers have 870s, too. I've shot both, and have owned a 500, but now I have an 870. The only thing I liked about the 500 was the safety. The 870 I have now and owned before were a lot quieter, they have steel receivers versus aluminum in the 500, and I can add capacity fairly easily to the 870 with a tube extender versus having to remove the tube on the 500 and getting a new barrel and tube if I want more shots. Reliability wise, they're about the same from my experience.

Jim

4. farm boy

farm boy G&G Newbie

They are both good shotguns. The 870 is a little easier to accessorize. The 500 is my choice, it really comes down to personal preference.

5. lvlt

lvlt Suspended

love both , what better gun deal at those prices.

friends who have shot did not like the top safty on the mossberg .
    pat

6. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

They are each very well designed guns with a lot

of quality control Realistically, if the average person takes care of the gun either will keep on shooting beyond the lifespan of the average person.

It is really more about handling the gun to decide what fits you best in terms of balance, sight picture, trigger pull, swing, and so on.

To discuss the point of someone saying Mossbergs are junk the U.
    S. Navy recently put in an order for 4,000 of these shotguns to use in guarding our navy bases in foreign nations.

7. Yogi

Yogi G&G Newbie

I've shot both in the USAF. I personally prefer the 870. I like the wood, the fit, finish, and feel.

8. ghogslugger

ghogslugger G&G Newbie

I've shot both and I prefer the 870 because of the steel reciever and the fact that the 500 (no pun intended) didn't feel very sturdy to me. I'm ones of those guys that doesn't care who makes it if it goes bang and is well built, but I didn't care for the mossberg. Just my 2 cents.

9. Kentucky Fan

Kentucky Fan G&G Newbie

For hunting i prefer the 870 and for hd i prefer the 500 but they are really about the same IMO

10. tamalpias

tamalpias G&G Newbie

I have owned a Benelli Nova pump, Mossberg 500, and Franchi O/U and till today of my 3 shotguns my go-to shotgun of choice is still my mossberg. the reason is because it is light weight and very easy to use. I do alot of upland gamebird hunting where walking lots of ground is common and it just seems to me the mossberg is alot lighter on the shoulder and quicker on the draw at birds in flight.

11. tappedandtagged

tappedandtagged G&G Evangelist

I'm an LE here and my agency uses the 870's. Back in the state academy, there was a mix of both 500's and 870's being used, but the 870 took the lead.

I love both and have the 870 on patrol and the 500 by my bed. While the steel receiver is a plus, for most of us, its overkill. Seriously, is anyone who's an average shooter gonna wear either one out?

12. trustnoone.45

trustnoone.45 G&G Newbie

I prefer my 870 after witnessing a failure on a mossberg in the army. But that is one of the few time i have seen a shotgun go down period.

13. tappedandtagged

^ Just outta curiosity, what happened to the 500? Or 590 I guess since it was an Army issue...

14. alwaysaz

alwaysaz G&G Newbie

I have a Mossburg 500. It has been abused (It went over the side of a cliff with me) and still works flawlessly. If you scratch the receiver you can not blue it because it is aluminum, but other than that I have no complaints about it. I think the 870 is a great shotgun as well. You can't go wrong with either.

15. trustnoone.45

trustnoone.45 G&G Newbie

The soldier after discharging it as a warning shot racked it back and the action guide rod for the action was bent and rendered the shotgun in op for the rest of the mission. I believe that the major factor was years of army abuse and neglect. The incident still sticks in my mind everytime I pick up a Mossberg. I dont know if my terminology is correct

16. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

This is kind of like asking who has the better pickup, Ford or Chevy. Both work well. I think the Mossberg will generally be less expensive to buy and will look just a bit less well finished, but that's a personal thing. I'll stick with my old Model 12 Winchester, which can be made to go bang when you slam the action closed just by keeping the trigger depressed. It will hold 7 shells, breaks down into two pieces very readily for cleaning, and will hold it's price better than the other two just because it's a Winchester Model 12.

17. tappedandtagged

Another major factor to consider is the position of the safeties. My first shotgun was a Win 1300 and I got used to the cross bolt safety. I purchased the Moss 500 (Just In Case package) since I wanted an all in one home defense shotgun. But I had to get used to the safety on top of the receiver instead of the crossbolt which most other shotguns have in common.

18. knightRider

knightRider G&G Newbie

i say if you have 200 bucks buy a mossburg if you have more go with the better gun the remmy 870 .
    there's nothing wrong with the 500 but the 870 is IMHO a better gun the safety position the aftermarket parts , fit and finish .

19. the_harbinger

the_harbinger Suspended

i grew up with the 870 and loved it. there great, i currently have a 500 and like it more and more every time i shoot it. it took me awhile to get used to it but i think th eppl at mossberg spent alot of time tweaking the concept of the 870 into there own shotgun.alot of the things i thought id hate about it i now really like. id have to say id take either no question, but i really like my 500.

20. Dallas

Dallas PUKHA DAWG

I have a Mossberg 500 that I picked up when I had a chance to go turkey hunting some years ago. The Primary reason I picked the Mossberg was the lower price. I never did go turkey hunting (still hope to one these years), but I've put well close to a couple hundred rounds through it with a HD 18 1/2 inch barrel. I've never had any problems with it. I can't compare the Remington, but I do love my Mossy.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted