Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a Mossberg 500 w/ a smooth bore barrel and a muzzleloader barrel. However, I can not find anywhere on the web any reccomendations as to what types of loads to use or anything!
I need the basics even, but cant find them.
This is not my first muzzleloader, but it is my first that is in-line style. Im not familiar with how to load the thing, clean the thing, what to shoot out of the thing... nothing! :(

I have shot the regular deer barrel and everything there is precise and accurate... Just need help with the muzzleloader part. The manuals that came with it are good for nothing better than wiping... (nevermind)! And the webpage or other webpages supply nothing either!
PLEASE HELP!!!!

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I believe they have a 120gr max on powder but everything else is the same as any .50cal.I never owned one but have been around some and they are bad about gunking the action up.Clean it good and test it with a primer and remember to lubricate the plug and throw 80 gr powder and a sabot in and have fun. sam.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
fishking WELCOME TO GUN and GAME feller were delighted you joined !!!
I'd sure be interested in how you come out with your new comb gun so keep us posted about it.
May be just may be there will be other members come around that can help you, so stay tuned in...A.H

·
Registered
27 Posts
Treat it just like most other muzzle loaders, from what ive read about 90g. max of pyrodex so thats about 100-110g. max of true black powder. Use pyrodex just because black powder is so corrosive it will tear your shotgun apart unless you literally wash it out with hot soapy water. it has a 1:26" twist so you can use conicals or sabots. as for loading just pour the powder down the barrel first then the bullet you wont need any sort of wading unless you are using a round ball , but with that barrel there is no point in using a round ball, then the primer in the back. any bullet made for 50 cal muzzle loader will work. Then cleaning, take the barrel off the gun and use any sort of black powder solvent and clean it until its spotless, ive never used pyrodex but it shouldnt be as bad black powder. Also because this is connected to a shotgun receiver make extra sure to pay attention to the inside of the gun, muzzle loaders arent made to have all those moving parts that a shotgun does have so keep it very clean or you shotgun may rust or corrode very quickly. I hope that helps, if youve got any more questions post em' ill try to help out.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I believe you have the black powder clone reversed.Acording to all I know black powder is more potent than the smokeless powder substitutes in volume and both are hard to clean up if you use any petrolium product in the process.All bore cleaners and preservatives contain petrolium except the ones made exclusively for black powder or a substitute.Water will clean the bore if no petrolium is present but after cleaning the plug should be left out so the bore can breath and it should be stored in a climate controled place. sam.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes i only shoot black powder and i always clean my guns with hot soapy water, i just use dish soap, same stuff thats in your kitchen. but i always make sure its hot hot hot to make sure everything evaporates and once im sure everything has evaporated i generously oil any metal parts. and i have never had a problem with the proses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts